Page 168 of 216 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 3234

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think a lot of the changes they've tried to make to Thor's characterization as of late (be it movies or comics) has been working under the assumption that Thor and the way he used to be portrayed just doesn't appeal to people.
    I remember watching the first Thor movie and thinking that they went out of their way to explain that "No no no, Thor isn't a god, he's an advanced alien from another planet, vikings just thought he was a god." I thought "Okay, they don't want to offend religious people, I get that."

Then the MCU at large quintupled down on "Magic isn't a thing, its all science!" I found it a little insulting really. I think that Movie goers are smart enough to understand that you can have magic and science in a fictional universe at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    No, JMS knew there was an event coming up and he didn't want to write for it, so he jumped ship.
    I see. A great loss nonetheless. I imagine Marvel would never reconsider him for Thor. Remender would be AWESOME. Or Jurgens (again). I could get on board with either of those guys.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    No, JMS knew there was an event coming up and he didn't want to write for it, so he jumped ship.
    Not just any event, but a event made by Bendis that would specifically screw over JMS' plans for Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I remember watching the first Thor movie and thinking that they went out of their way to explain that "No no no, Thor isn't a god, he's an advanced alien from another planet, vikings just thought he was a god." I thought "Okay, they don't want to offend religious people, I get that."

Then the MCU at large quintupled down on "Magic isn't a thing, its all science!" I found it a little insulting really. I think that Movie goers are smart enough to understand that you can have magic and science in a fictional universe at the same time.
    Yeah, I wasn't as fond of it in Dr. Strange either.

Not to mention it turns Hela from a an actual Goddess of Death to...just a really deadly gal with a nickname.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Spotlight video for Thor in the upcoming Avengers video game, including his alternate costume being the King Thor costume for Jurgen's run:

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Spotlight video for Thor in the upcoming Avengers video game, including his alternate costume being the King Thor costume for Jurgen's run:

Not really digging any of Thor's looks in this game. But at least his hair looks better...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't as fond of it in Dr. Strange either.

Not to mention it turns Hela from a an actual Goddess of Death to...just a really deadly gal with a nickname.
    I kinda feel like Ragnarok dialed back the “magic is science” stuff a little. They didn’t make a big deal of it, but it felt like they treated him as a god, that God of Thunder was supposed to be taken literally. That and I feel like “green fife makes zombies” is a big beyond what they had been trying to say was advanced science in the first two Thor films. Doctor Strange seemed more magical in his little scene than he did in his entire movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post

I sometimes wonder if magic is just supposed to be random stuff with little to no explanation to what it is and how it works.
    That seems to be what people want apparently, because they never said there was no magic, even after Doctor Strange people still complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    I sometimes wonder if magic is just supposed to be random stuff with little to no explanation to what it is and how it works.
    I think that is the best answer tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I kinda feel like Ragnarok dialed back the “magic is science” stuff a little. They didn’t make a big deal of it, but it felt like they treated him as a god, that God of Thunder was supposed to be taken literally. That and I feel like “green fife makes zombies” is a big beyond what they had been trying to say was advanced science in the first two Thor films. Doctor Strange seemed more magical in his little scene than he did in his entire movie.
    Ragnarok felt really inconsistent about it. Like, they put so much emphasis on the God stuff but some of the visuals were clear on the whole "Asgardians are aliens" thing, and there's where Hela being the "Goddess of Death" comes from.

I find it interesting that the upcoming Audio/Prose production from Serial Box will be called Thor: Metal Gods. To me, this is more evidence that the wider non-comic aspects of Thor are doubling down on Thor’s godhood, as well as the rock music theme. I think we have seen the back of the MCU ‘they are just advanced aliens’ idea.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I find it interesting that the upcoming Audio/Prose production from Serial Box will be called Thor: Metal Gods. To me, this is more evidence that the wider non-comic aspects of Thor are doubling down on Thor’s godhood, as well as the rock music theme. I think we have seen the back of the MCU ‘they are just advanced aliens’ idea.
    I would like to think so, although I guess it depends how they actually apply it.

Again, I'm not expecting much in the way of consistency.

I thought DC was the Metal one ?

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Journey into Mystery #109 Oct 1969
    "When Magneto Strikes!"
    Magneto is testing his powers in the city;

He "attracts" Thor's attention;

They battle aboard Magneto's submarine;

Meanwhile, the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants are out looking for the X-Men;
    Magneto flees from Thor in his escape vessel and the X-Men's submarine is seen pursuing him.
    Guest appearances by Quicksilver, the Scarlet Witch, Mastermind, the Toad and Jane Foster.
    Cameos by Captain America, Iron Man, the Thing, Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Girl.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Chic Stone.

BANNED

Tales of Asgard back-up,
    "Banished From Asgard!"

Arkin the Weak betrays Asgard

in an attempt to win the hand of Queen Knorda.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Vince Colletta.

Donny Cates is confirmed to be taking over Thor with Nic Klein and Matthew Wilson.

THOR #1
    Writer: DONNY CATES
    Artist: NIC KLEIN
    A BRAND-NEW, SUPERSTAR CREATIVE TEAM TAKES THE KING OF ASGARD TO NEW REALMS OF GLORY!
    The prince is now a king. All Asgard lies before Thor, the God of Thunder. And after many months of war, the Ten Realms are finally at peace. But the skies above the Realm Eternal are never clear for long. The Black Winter is coming. And the God of the Storm will be powerless before it.