Page 184 of 216 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 3234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He's not to blame. His Thor is serious, intelligent and driven. After his time on earth, he's the serious Thor we all know from comics.

The problem is that the MCU doesn't want to really address magic, or Gods. It's more grounded than comics are, which combine every genre.

So instead, we have a serious Thor in unserious situations.
    The Thor written by Aaron in avengers is very much the MCU Thor of Thor Ragnarok

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

He's not to blame. His Thor is serious, intelligent and driven. After his time on earth, he's the serious Thor we all know from comics.

The problem is that the MCU doesn't want to really address magic, or Gods. It's more grounded than comics are, which combine every genre.

So instead, we have a serious Thor in unserious situations.
    Doctor Strange says hi.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Moreso in in the first two Avengers films, Dark World, and Infinity War then, say, Endgame or even Ragnarok.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    The Thor written by Aaron in avengers is very much the MCU Thor of Thor Ragnarok
    No, he's Hercules.

Hell, that story where Thor falls in love in love with a mortal, leaves for decades only to return and find that she's dead? Herc did that back in the 80s, in his mini series (only there, it wasnt an entire issue)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Doctor Strange says hi.
    Dr. Strange, the movie that drilled the fact that magic is programming? That left no trace of spirituality in magic?

Hell, look at Dark World. It aggressively went against the idea that they were Gods, until the next movie came around

Astonishing Member

No, he's Hercules.

Hell, that story where Thor falls in love in love with a mortal, leaves for decades only to return and find that she's dead? Herc did that back in the 80s, in his mini series (only there, it wasnt an entire issue)

Dr. Strange, the movie that drilled the fact that magic is programming? That left no trace of spirituality in magic?

Hell, look at Dark World. It aggressively went against the idea that they were Gods, until the next movie came around
    He is the Thor from Ragnarok

Who is written like Hercules

Was my point

Ultimate Member

He is the Thor from Ragnarok

Who is written like Hercules

Was my point
    Again, Thor in the movies is always written as serious and mindful of his responsibilities, even in Ragnarok.

Aaron's Thor is Herc from the comics, who enjoys fights for fights sake, struggles with responsibility and is more a good natured Frat boy than anything else. Hell, half the time, I think I'm reading Grek Pak's Herc, minus the humor

Astonishing Member

Again, Thor in the movies is always written as serious and mindful of his responsibilities, even in Ragnarok.

Aaron's Thor is Herc from the comics, who enjoys fights for fights sake, struggles with responsibility and is more a good natured Frat boy than anything else. Hell, half the time, I think I'm reading Grek Pak's Herc, minus the humor
    I really don't see Thor in the film's as always serious and mindful, certainly the first one explored that he was being too cocky to be serious and such enough, but really that nitpicky

I certainly agree with you about the Hercules comparison, it's something I said long ago

My biggest irrigation with it is if we do see a Hercules MCU he will likely be very different to compensate for this

I'm not sure if he's in the eternals film as I heard rumours
    Last edited by kilderkin; 11-02-2019 at 03:05 AM.

Ultimate Member

I really don't see Thor in the film's as always serious and mindful, certainly the first one explored that he was being too cocky to be serious and such enough, but really that nitpicky
    Well, I meant after his brief exile

And yeah, Thor knows how to relax. But he knows the importance of their battles. in Age of Ultron, when they're fighting Hydra and are convinced that they've found Loki's staff, Thor doesn't bemoan the fact that this'll be the last fight, but is glad that its finally done. In Ragnarok, he tried to talk Hulk down first

Herc fights for a fight, leads with his head and is a Frat boy, nice guy and hero, in that order. That's not MCU Thor, and wasn't comics Thor until Aaron

I think Paul Jenkins did the exact same story as a Thor one-shot.
    Wasn't that also the movie where Jane figured out Asgardian magic because of her science background?

The MCU's always been super inconsistent about it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't that also the movie where Jane figured out Asgaridan magic because of her science background?

The MCU's always been super inconsistent about it.
    Yeah, she recognized some piece of magic as tech...tech that didn't exist on earth, so who knows how she recognized it :P

Yeah, she recognized some piece of magic as tech...tech that didn't exist on earth, so who knows how she recognized it :P
    That wacky Jane Foster .

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Dark world was a real mess.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Dark world was a real mess.
    Thor's mythos is a mess, really. If Thor's hammer is technology does that mean a program determines who's worthy? Is it just a really advanced google?

No, he's Hercules.

Seemed to me that this was more about establishing rules to magic that made it more understandable. One of the biggest issues with magic in fiction, particularly superhero settings, is that it's vagueness means it can be an easily abused deus ex machina. It should also be remembered that the pov character for Dr Strange is a man who has existed in a world of hard logic and facts. Telling him that magic is programming is probably the best way to sell him on it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Seemed to me that this was more about establishing rules to magic that made it more understandable. One of the biggest issues with magic in fiction, particularly superhero settings, is that it's vagueness means it can be an easily abused deus ex machina. It should also be remembered that the pov character for Dr Strange is a man who has existed in a world of hard logic and facts. Telling him that magic is programming is probably the best way to sell him on it.
    I actually think that's what the ancient one said to him in a roundabout way