Page 196 of 216 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 3234

I try to keep a positive outlook... despite how hard it has been lately.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    The idea that Thor is a jerk, it's really put mevon a downer for this run already

I'll be off all of marvel soon enough
    I can work with that in moderation. Thor WAS an egotiscal jerk. He was honorable and noble sometimes too... But it's tough to come up with a character who spends as much time bragging about how awesome and powerful he is more than Thor. All those big Shakespearean monologues about how now you have to face the Prince of Asgard… the unmatched power of Thor... Now None can match the power of the God of Thunder.... There's some distinct 'full of himself' gong on there.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I hope so. Thor deserves more respect, like Superman-level respect.
    Well... yeah, but he kind of HAS it. Superman just happens to be DC's biggest Jobber too... Every time I turn around SOMEONE is kicking his butt to show how tough they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    It's possible, however i don't think the fights are whats going to be fake, i think her killing and decapitating Thor is whats going to turn out to be fake in the end.
    I haven't read it... but the death may be real.... and THAT'S what triggers some kind of Ressurection that gives him back the eye and arm. So if it takes a killing to rehit that status quo, i'm all for it!

I always wondered why JMS gave Thor's costume sleeves.
    I remember an interview where he was going for a Lord of the Rings/Aragorn vibe with Thor. I never liked them. They were going for a more 'armored' look... and I always felt it failed. 1) Thor is a god amongst gods... he doesn't actually NEED armor (unless he's hela cursed or fighting something INSANELY powerful that the armor is a story point...) and 2) it looks like he's wearing a quilt padding. The armor doesn't look very armory.

For me, I always prefer the classic Kirby. With Thor I find he fails if you focus too much on 'Viking warrior' and not enough on 'Noble Prince of Asgard'. Thor =/= Conan or Aragorn... What the mortals need to live... he really doesn't.

with the current Avengers arc, is this all before the upcoming Thor comics reboot?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

I can work with that in moderation. Thor WAS an egotiscal jerk. He was honorable and noble sometimes too... But it's tough to come up with a character who spends as much time bragging about how awesome and powerful he is more than Thor. All those big Shakespearean monologues about how now you have to face the Prince of Asgard… the unmatched power of Thor... Now None can match the power of the God of Thunder.... There's some distinct 'full of himself' gong on there.

Well... yeah, but he kind of HAS it. Superman just happens to be DC's biggest Jobber too... Every time I turn around SOMEONE is kicking his butt to show how tough they are.

I haven't read it... but the death may be real.... and THAT'S what triggers some kind of Ressurection that gives him back the eye and arm. So if it takes a killing to rehit that status quo, i'm all for it!

I remember an interview where he was going for a Lord of the Rings/Aragorn vibe with Thor. I never liked them. They were going for a more 'armored' look... and I always felt it failed. 1) Thor is a god amongst gods... he doesn't actually NEED armor (unless he's hela cursed or fighting something INSANELY powerful that the armor is a story point...) and 2) it looks like he's wearing a quilt padding. The armor doesn't look very armory.

For me, I always prefer the classic Kirby. With Thor I find he fails if you focus too much on 'Viking warrior' and not enough on 'Noble Prince of Asgard'. Thor =/= Conan or Aragorn... What the mortals need to live... he really doesn't.
    Oh sure he was very much one
    But that's very much retreading old ground and I have no need to read about that

I'm still getting over seven years of him once again becoming worthy and once again learning humility and once again learning to be a king

Things he's done all before

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Oh sure he was very much one
    But that's very much retreading old ground and I have no need to read about that

I'm still getting over seven years of him once again becoming worthy and once again learning humility and once again learning to be a king

Things he's done all before
    Much as it kills me to say it... the only 'new ground' left for Thor seems to be him being 'unworthy'. He's played nearly every role and fought every cosmic being... he's been king, banished, disowned, and replaced numerous times now...

Personally, I prefer the old ground. Classic Thor. I think some characters don't NEED to change and grow and develop. Thor is a thousand years old... his personality is PRETTY well set in stone at this point. I always hate watching a show where 2 years into it they've 'grown and adapted so far that the fun character they were is all but lost. His entire established comic book run would be the equivelant of a year or two for us mere mortals. I really don't WANT him to abandon all the things that I loved about him...

and yeah... some of that was the arrogant boastful jerk.... who still cared enough about the mere mortals to abandon his godly duties to fight to save Midgard.

I really hate him as 'king'. I remember a famous author somewhere was talking about the trouble of writing kings... they're boring. Conan winning the kingdom is exciting... but running a kingdom? Not so much. It's why Aquaman has had Atlantis stripped from him and regained it a dozen times over. Giving that king 'all-power'? Only makes things worse.

In fact given my choices... I'd ditch Asgard completely for a while... a long while. Leave Balder in charge again, and go dwelling amongst Humanity again. Show more about who THOR is without all the Norse, celestial, Asgard, king trappings. Get back to Super hero Thor.

The biggest jobber in DC is Captain Atom with Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter close behind.

I really hate him as 'king'. I remember a famous author somewhere was talking about the trouble of writing kings... they're boring. Conan winning the kingdom is exciting... but running a kingdom? Not so much. It's why Aquaman has had Atlantis stripped from him and regained it a dozen times over. Giving that king 'all-power'? Only makes things worse.
    Black Panther alone disproves this.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-27-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The biggest jobber in DC is Captain Atom with Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter close behind.
    Nahhhh nobody really cares about them. They've been crapped on and ignored for so long they can't be considered jobbers anymore. Captain Atom is a non-entity and Wonder Woman's powers fluctuate so much that nobody knows how powerful she SHOULD be before she gets taken down a notch. Martian Manhunter should pretty much be an unbeatable god... but he's not featured enough to really count. You'll never really see Deathstroke show up to shoot him or Batman beat him senseless or whatever bull crap thing they throw at Superman repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Black Panther alone disproves this.
    Disagree. Just the sheer number of reboots, relaunches and cancelations he's had says that people have a tough time writing him. I don't think any of his runs have hit 50 issues. And while I didn't read them, I know that there were at least few 'I lost my kingdom... I need to get my kingdom back' rinse-repeat stories in there.

Heck, his movie had him become king and get the power of the Black Panther THREE times... It got a little ridiculous. All that AFTER his character had already been introduced in Civil War fully powered.

Nahhhh nobody really cares about them.
    I've seen plenty evidence to the contrary.

Wonder Woman's powers fluctuate so much that nobody knows how powerful she SHOULD be before she gets taken down a notch.
    Same can be said of Superman. He'll be as strong as the story requires. But I don't recall him ever suffering anything like being beaten up by Gotham Girl.

Hell, I'm not even sure if Thor qualifies as Marvel's biggest jobber. I'd argue that is Wonder Man. Whether people care about them or not is irrelevant to that.

Disagree. Just the sheer number of reboots, relaunches and cancelations he's had says that people have a tough time writing him.
    Him being a king is not the reason why. If it where, plenty of non-monarch superheroes wouldn't also be cancelled and relaunched. People have been telling stories about kings, queens, princesses, and princes for as long as the art of storytelling itself has existed.

I don't think any of his runs have hit 50 issues.
    Christopher Priest's run lasted 62 issues.

And while I didn't read them, I know that there were at least few 'I lost my kingdom... I need to get my kingdom back' rinse-repeat stories in there.

Heck, his movie had him become king and get the power of the Black Panther THREE times... It got a little ridiculous. All that AFTER his character had already been introduced in Civil War fully powered.
    Every character has had stories that get repeated. How many times did we see Tony Stark lose his company, have a relapse into alcoholism or deal with his technology being stolen or copied? How many times has Superman lost his powers or faced evil Kryptonians? How many times has Daredevil's secret identity been exposed?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-28-2019 at 01:53 AM.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    So who should be the Batman's equivalent to Thor to disrespect him?
    Iron Man maybe?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Iron Man maybe?
    Well, I don't think we'll ever get the point that Batman beats superman... but Iron Man with science is awesome mentality always has a disprespect for Thor's supernatural origins. Lot of times he's the first to dismiss gods and magic as 'advanced science he hasn't figure out yet...' Not to mention making the evil clone... SO yeah, I could see Iron Man filling that role.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

I think Thor should wear armor against very powerful enemies. Like Jormungand, Mangog and Surtur.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 11-28-2019 at 04:20 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

I think you are right, the writer for Captain Marvel made a tweet saying how all of this will give Thor BLEEP and BLEEP, etc... so i think this is one way to resurrect him fully healed and restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    I think you are right, the writer for Captain Marvel made a tweet saying how all of this will give Thor BLEEP and BLEEP, etc... so i think this is one way to resurrect him fully healed and restored.
    where is that at? the interview?

Amazing Member

You know what bothers me? If Marvel undoes the events of the Last Avenger, it is highly unlikely that these fights will be retconned. Sure the dead characters will be back, but that would mean two things:

- They still lost to her

- Carol gets off scott free cause everything is undone. She might be angsty and mopey about it, but that's it. One way or another, she is definitely going to get away with this.

Here's to hoping a writer has Thor or Iron Man beat her at some point. Not that I am holding my breath.

I am curious to see where Cates's run will be in all of this. Thor still has his destroyer arm, his beard and his eyepatch in the previews. Unless its a flashback...

Ultimate Member

In fact given my choices... I'd ditch Asgard completely for a while... a long while. Leave Balder in charge again, and go dwelling amongst Humanity again. Show more about who THOR is without all the Norse, celestial, Asgard, king trappings. Get back to Super hero Thor.
    Agreed, and that's been a problem with writing all sorts of characters. Namor, T'Challa, Black Bolt. Either you're running a damn country *or* you are superheroing. You can't really do both (or, more precisely, you are going to suck at one of them...). To a lesser extent, CEO billionaires who spend 23.9 hours a day treating their company like an unlimited piggy bank to raid, and personal inventory to plunder for tech and toys, and .1 hour a day (if that) actually *running the company* also irk me a bit. (Looking at you two, Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne! But also Danny Rand and Warren Worthington, etc.)

Running things takes effort, and, frankly, isn't often terribly gripping drama. (Nobody watches C-SPAN for the action, adventure or romance...) Plus, whatever country is being run invariably serves as plot fodder, and Atlantis or Wakanda or Asgard or Attilan gets blowed up with distressing frequency, as part of the king character's storylines, which can quickly run to ludicrous degrees as each new writer taps that 'kingdom in jeopardy' storyline five years after the last writer did it, and makes the king look kind of terribly at their job, since Atlantis, Attilan, Asgard, whatever thrived for centuries, or even *millenia* under the last ruler(s), and now, it's been blown up / demolished / invaded *multiple times* under the new guy!'

Thor, IMO, should be freed up to have stories all over the place. Sometimes he can be an Avenger. Sometimes he can go do cosmic stuff in space. Other times he can adventure in the nine realms. Park someone else's butt on the throne and let them rot there. (Freyja, Odin, Baldar, Loki, I don't even care who.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    where is that at? the interview?
    IIRC it was on her Twitter.