Page 201 of 216 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 3234
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

This video shows all the canonical fights between Hulk and Thor before he became the god of jobbers.

Hulk: 5 wins

Thor: 8 wins

Tie: 15
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    except that's not what Aaron is trying to portray.

and THAT'S why I don't like this Odin.

some stuff you simply don't do with some characters because it doesn't fit.

for example:

in World of Warcraft franchise (it's a game with huge lore), you have immortal demons and two most powerful demonlords, Archimonde and Kil'jaeden.

Archimonde
    https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpe...the_Legion.jpg

Kil'jaeden
    https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpe...en_Sunwell.jpg

those two are the most badass demonlords you can find and have a lot of lore around them.

they are fierce and brutal, they destroyed countless of worlds with no mercy for over +25,000 years.

then came a day when you kill them both.

the worst death was Kil'jaeden.

when you are about to kill him he suddenly acts out of character and becomes too human.

not only that but even at the beginning of his downfall, he was completely out of character.

so we had a freaking demonlord who is almost, if not, on par with Archimonde in pure power, and is supposed to be one of those characters who are absolutely badass with no relatable qualities but then SUDDENLY they completely screw up his character for idiotic reasons.

Or Illidan Stormrage from the same game.

Illidan Stormrage
    https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpe...e_Betrayer.jpg

An incredible antihero character during Warcraft 3 and in the books who everyone loved. He would go to extreme lengths to destroy demons for good, even going so far to become a demon himself. He was power hungry as well.

He conquered the entire demon world for himself.

but then came World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade and they turned him into a crazy tyrant where you had to kill him.

I, personally, never found Odin to be relatable that much. in my eyes, he is not that type of a character with who I want to sympathise with. back in a day, Odin was close to a God you could get in that time. I found him harsh but cool, badass and powerful.

I no longer see any trait of that Odin at all.

you might like him now because he is too human but I don't and neither do a lot of people.
    Aaron seems to have a tendency of writing godly characters steeped in fanciful mythology as ''too human'' as seen in Thanos Rising which is like a bad remake of My Friend Dahner that simplifies the lore of Thanos and the Titanian Eternals and turns Mistress Death into a very different character than Starlin's Death.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    This video shows all the canonical fights between Hulk and Thor before he became the god of jobbers.

Hulk: 5 wins

Thor: 8 wins

Tie: 15
    That video is wrong on so many levels and it's not surprising since it's from Fernando, it ignores blatant context, it favors Thor when he BFR's Hulk but doesn't do the same when Hulk BFR's Thor, it also counts different versions of Hulk that are weaker than regular Hulk as regular Hulk and it uses amped versions of Thor from alternate timelines as regular Thor, etc...

Hulk and Thor have almost always tied or had inconclusive fights, the only real time Thor has won against Hulk was in Hulk annual 2001 when he KO'd him and the only real time Hulk has won over Thor is when he KO'd him in the same comic in Let the Battle Begin and the Immortal Hulk stuff, so that's Thor: 1, Hulk:3. I could count when Hulk cheapshoted him and KO'd him in Bendis Avengers run but i don't feel like cheapshots are a fair way to count wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    That video is wrong on so many levels and it's not surprising since it's from Fernando, it ignores blatant context, it favors Thor when he BFR's Hulk but doesn't do the same when Hulk BFR's Thor, it also counts different versions of Hulk that are weaker than regular Hulk as regular Hulk and it uses amped versions of Thor from alternate timelines as regular Thor, etc...

Hulk and Thor have almost always tied or had inconclusive fights, the only real time Thor has won against Hulk was in Hulk annual 2001 when he KO'd him and the only real time Hulk has won over Thor is when he KO'd him in the same comic in Let the Battle Begin and the Immortal Hulk stuff, so that's Thor: 1, Hulk:3. I could count when Hulk cheapshoted him and KO'd him in Bendis Avengers run but i don't feel like cheapshots are a fair way to count wins.
    There are very few youtubers who regularly upload superhero fights since superhero comics are becoming ''deader than disco''. So i will always support guys like Fernando and BannerIncredibleHulk because i have no other options.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    There are very few youtubers who regularly upload superhero fights since superhero comics are becoming ''deader than disco''. So i will always support guys like Fernando and BannerIncredibleHulk because i have no other options.
    I understand but those 2 are horrible in being "objective" so i wouldn't use either as a source of informatio... Fernando is such a huge Thor fanboy and is so biased and BannerIncredibleHulk is exactly the same but for Hulk that i can't take those guys seriously at all. They are not as bad nowadays as they used to be a few years back but they still can't get rid of their overwhelming bias. And don't get me wrong we are all bias to a certain degree it's human nature, nobody is truly above it but when it goes into the territory of being deceptive and lying about stuff that's when it crosses the line for me.

Nothing personal, obviously watch whoever you wanna watch, i too sometimes watch superhero fights on youtube if it's a cool fight with kickass music, but i wouldn't take those channels opinions as serious.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

When do you guys think Aaron’s run on Thor dipped in terms of quality?

BANNED

issue 12 onwards of god of thunder
    it started off on a high note then kept going lower

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    For me...the actual writing quality has been consistent, it's just the character portrayals and depictions have become more exaggerated and prone to accentuating the negative aspects of characters I care about, to the point of disregarding past continuity in a major way.

BANNED

When the "God of Thunder" title ended

After Last days of Midgard.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For me...the actual writing quality has been consistent, it's just the character portrayals and depictions have become more exaggerated and prone to accentuating the negative aspects of characters I care about, to the point of disregarding past continuity in a major way.
    Hey, remember when Thor teamed up with Thanos and Genis-Vell?

And remember the epic quote of Thor in that story?

''All the power of the storm, from all the world, flows through my veins, and can be summoned by mine hammer at any time, wherever it is. A lightning storm in Japan? Mine. A hurricane off the coast of Barbados? Mine again. A brace of tornadoes in Kansas? Aye...mine. All that might, all that destructive force, mine to command. Channeled and guided through the mystic might of this hammer, guided right at thee!''

I kind of agree with both Ichijinijisanji and Frontier when they say:

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    issue 12 onwards of god of thunder
    it started off on a high note then kept going lower
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The twelve issue God Butcher arc was very good, and very different for a Thor story: most Thor writers either try to channel Lee or Simonson (or sometimes both), and lean heavily on the continuity from those eras; Aaron's first twelve issues almost totally ignore past continuity in favour of new characters, which I thought was unexpected and kind of refreshing. Immediately afterwards, though, we got the Dark Elf arc, which just didn't work for me, neither the writing or the art. I bailed after an issue or two. I had felt in the God Butcher arc that one thing that worried me a little was that "middle Thor" seemed a little off - a little lifeless, a little stupid at times, like Aaron wasn't sure how to write him - and that got worse as the subsequent arcs developed. I actually wonder if Aaron was perhaps largely unfamiliar with Thor continuity at first, and after reading the older stuff decided he didn't really like Thor himself? Whatever the reason, after the first arc we start getting Thor being less likeable and competent, which was a turn-off for me. I hoped with Ribic returning to the art chores I might find things back to those original 12 issues in terms of my enjoyment, but I wasn't gripped.

When Jane picked up the hammer, though I didn't really like the idea (I'm not keen on copycat heroes in general), I actually felt the comic became pretty compelling, particularly because we suddenly had a hero that Aaron was comfortable writing as a hero; unfortunately, in order to make Jane's Thor shine, I felt Aaron really trashed a lot of the other characters. I thought the story was very good if you didn't mind Aaron screwing with the mythos to back up his own vision. There are bits that are awful - particularly the bits where I feel Aaron is directly addressing reader complaints in a petty manner - that really take me out of the story, and that's never good; if I'd never picked up a Thor comic before Aaron, I'd probably think it was great, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I kind of agree with both Ichijinijisanji and Frontier when they say:

The twelve issue God Butcher arc was very good, and very different for a Thor story: most Thor writers either try to channel Lee or Simonson (or sometimes both), and lean heavily on the continuity from those eras; Aaron's first twelve issues almost totally ignore past continuity in favour of new characters, which I thought was unexpected and kind of refreshing. Immediately afterwards, though, we got the Dark Elf arc, which just didn't work for me, neither the writing or the art. I bailed after an issue or two. I had felt in the God Butcher arc that one thing that worried me a little was that "middle Thor" seemed a little off - a little lifeless, a little stupid at times, like Aaron wasn't sure how to write him - and that got worse as the subsequent arcs developed. I actually wonder if Aaron was perhaps largely unfamiliar with Thor continuity at first, and after reading the older stuff decided he didn't really like Thor himself? Whatever the reason, after the first arc we start getting Thor being less likeable and competent, which was a turn-off for me. I hoped with Ribic returning to the art chores I might find things back to those original 12 issues in terms of my enjoyment, but I wasn't gripped.

When Jane picked up the hammer, though I didn't really like the idea (I'm not keen on copycat heroes in general), I actually felt the comic became pretty compelling, particularly because we suddenly had a hero that Aaron was comfortable writing as a hero; unfortunately, in order to make Jane's Thor shine, I felt Aaron really trashed a lot of the other characters. I thought the story was very good if you didn't mind Aaron screwing with the mythos to back up his own vision. There are bits that are awful - particularly the bits where I feel Aaron is directly addressing reader complaints in a petty manner - that really take me out of the story, and that's never good; if I'd never picked up a Thor comic before Aaron, I'd probably think it was great, though.
    Yeah, i remember Aaron having Absorbing Man and Ulik parroting the words of his detractors. One of the things that make him the spiritual successor of Bendis.

I feel like Aaron's run was a deconstruction that went on far too long. The mystery of the whisper went on too long and was unsatisfying, Jane concealing her identity went on too long. He spent so much time deconstructing Thor that he forgot he had to build him back up, and he did, but he did it in such a way that undermined his own story. Thor didn't feel like himself again until he got the hammer back. If he was trying to tell a story about toxic masculinity through thor, he missed the point. Aaron's thor is just as insecure as when he first became unworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I feel like Aaron's run was a deconstruction that went on far too long. The mystery of the whisper went on too long and was unsatisfying, Jane concealing her identity went on too long. He spent so much time deconstructing Thor that he forgot he had to build him back up, and he did, but he did it in such a way that undermined his own story. Thor didn't feel like himself again until he got the hammer back. If he was trying to tell a story about toxic masculinity through thor, he missed the point. Aaron's thor is just as insecure as when he first became unworthy.
    Even when he got Mjolnir back he Is still a drunken oaf with cringy dialogue and depowered to f****. While Jane, as a normal human with a sword, was able to beat Dario, a minotaur with Hulk-like strenght.

Aaron is to Thor what Bendis is to the Guardians of the Galaxy.