Page 24 of 216 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Regards the film's

Perhaps do, either way I think the Thor of the Ragnarok film and comics are very similar, sure they were inspired by the books, my point entirely being that I think there will be a shift once this MCU version is gone as its relative value will be seen as less important

Certainly Aaron s avengers Thor is markedly like that films version
    I don’t really see the similarities. We are in the middle of a vampire story, the longer story is about celestials and the deep past. The only nod to the movies is some of the cast, but by no means all of the movie cast are in the books.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I don’t really see the similarities. We are in the middle of a vampire story, the longer story is about celestials and the deep past. The only nod to the movies is some of the cast, but by no means all of the movie cast are in the books.
    I'm clearly not talking about the plot but Thor's characterisation

I'm not sure why you thought othetwise

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I'm clearly not talking about the plot but Thor's characterisation

I'm not sure why you thought othetwise
    Ah. Well that would explain it. I honestly thought you were talking about some kind of wider synergy.

Yes there is a tendency to use Thor in a lighter fashion as per the films in the Avengers story. I wouldn't have thought that would particularly upset people. That kind of thing is common in team books. What are we talking, one or two half-jokes per issue? He is still recognisably Thor in my opinion. His date was a surprisingly touching character beat for example.

Put it this way. I fully expect Aaron to bring back Mjolnir, make Thor worthy again, reinstall the Asgardians back in Asgard where they belong, and go some way to redeeming Odin before he is finished with the characters.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-06-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Astonishing Member

Ah. Well that would explain it. Yes there is a tendency to use Thor in a lighter fashion as per the films in the Avengers story. I wouldn't have thought that would particularly upset people. That kind of thing is common in team books. What are we talking, one or two half-jokes per issue? He is still recognisably Thor in my opinion. His date was a surprisingly touching character beat for example.
    Oh I do agree there, though I think the few jokes is more reflective of his relative screen time in the book (natural for a team book sure), but he is noticeably more Thor Ragnarok in his unserious nature

Still Thor of course, just more MCU Ragnarok Thor I feel, which to me whilst a fun film was the least Thor , Thor, of the trilogy

Not that that was a bad thing for the films

Aaron is on record as having successfully argued against movie synergy when he moved towards his Jane run. He clearly got his editors’ backing to do this, and we have not really seen much movie synergy in the books. Indeed we saw Aaron’s books influence the movies, because Taika Waititi acknowledged that his portrayal of Hela was influenced by Aaron and Ribic’s Gor. He also highly praises Aaron btw.
    I really don't see it to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    he means those swords she shoots.

other than that, MCU Hela is far from being similar to Gorr in her goal and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well I noticed it in the movie, all that shifting black, morphing costume, and those flying shady daggers, then he mentioned it in the directors commentary which confirmed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    he means those swords she shoots.

other than that, MCU Hela is far from being similar to Gorr in her goal and personality.
    Not personality, but her structural position in the movie is also similar. A more ancient and occluded villain that challenges the preconceived status of the hero. (Gor being pseudo ancient by the trick of time travel.)

My point is primarily that the MCU is not influencing the comics like it first did, although I do concede Kilderkin’s point on jokes and a lighter part to play in Avengers. Indeed go back and look at some of the Avengers threads and I was making a similar point.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-06-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Speaking of synergy, Thor inexplicably sported his Ragnarok look and personality in the last episode of Avengers Assemble (although apparently the explanation for it will be in the Guardians cartoon).

I was not amused .

BANNED

Rick Remender would write a great Thor, just look at what he did with him on Uncanny Avengers.

You can never really tell how much you're going to like a writer's work on a character until it's too late. Most of us were pretty gung-ho about Aaron after Godbomb, and look how we feel about him now. Steven Moffat wrote my favourite episodes of RTD's Doctor Who era (actually almost the only episodes of RTD era that I enjoyed), so I thought his tenure as show-runner would produce gold; it was okay, there were some good bits, but I don't think he produced a single episode as good as good as his work for Davies. And Chris Claremont went from being one of my favourite comic book writers to being someone who's work I found almost unreadable.

I don't think there are any sure things. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    You can never really tell how much you're going to like a writer's work on a character until it's too late. Most of us were pretty gung-ho about Aaron after Godbomb, and look how we feel about him now. Steven Moffat wrote my favourite episodes of RTD's Doctor Who era (actually almost the only episodes of RTD era that I enjoyed), so I thought his tenure as show-runner would produce gold; it was okay, there were some good bits, but I don't think he produced a single episode as good as good as his work for Davies. And Chris Claremont went from being one of my favourite comic book writers to being someone who's work I found almost unreadable.

I don't think there are any sure things. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
    It should surprise few that I'm not a fan of what Aaron had done to the Thor mythos

But that said, I won't take away from his skill as a writer, I have said that but likely not often

I might not like the work, but it is imo very skillful work

And I can't deny it's popularity with some, the run can't be denied as successful

It's not to my liking but clearly a good number love it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    damn, Cates is on drugs

That's one hell of a drug.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    who cares, to me it was and it is a mess, I know I will gladly forget about it as soon as possible, nothing last forever not even bad writing and lame ideas.
    7 years have gone by right? The great one lasted for 17 years right? So 10 more years to go!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    agreed, hopefully the won't give her horse faced lovers , that was a low point in my opinion.
    Yes! A comicbook character from the Vanir race is not to associate themselves with a comicbook character of the Korbinite race. It is an affront.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Journey into Mystery #102 Mar 1964
    "Slave of Zarrko, the Tomorrow Man"
    Thor, his powers halved by an angry Odin, has agreed to travel to the 23rd century with
    the criminal scientist Arthur Zarrko in order to prevent him from destroying 20th century Earth.
    The Thunder God has pledged to obey Zarrko until he has conquered his century.

Arriving in the future, the Tomorrow Man has Thor create havoc until the police of that time arrive to stop him.
    Thor uses his hammer to enthrall the officers, and orders them to take him and Zarrko to the ruling World Council.
    Zarrko orders them to give him directions to the Master Machine which runs the planet.
    When they refuse, Zarrko has Thor begin searching for the Master Machine. Thor leaves a note behind for the Council.

The Council activates a protector Octi-Robot, but Thor destroys it. A Councilman then gives them the location.

Flying to a lonely isle, Thor and Zarrko enter the Master Machine's chamber
    and are attacked by a C-Bomb (short for "Cell-Bomb" because it creates a prison to hold intruders).
    But Thor overcomes the increased gravity with the cell and destroys it.

Zarrko takes possession of the Master Machine, making him the ruler of 23rd century Earth.

Having fulfilled his vow, Thor now turns on Zarrko, and they battle.
    Zarrko grabs control of the Master Machine and threatens to destroy the Earth if Thor does not halt.
    But before he can throw any switches, the Master Machine captures Zarrko in a ball of semi-energy, ending his threat.

An official scout ship arrives moments later and arrests Zarrko.
    Thor's note had asked the Council to let him handle Zarrko, and based on Thor's reputation they had decided to trust him.

Twirling his hammer, Thor creates a time warp and returns to the 20th century, while Loki
    and Odin watch from Asgard, and Loki muses that, sooner or later, he will defeat Thor forever.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Chic Stone