Page 3 of 216 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Line its drawn

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    For me, if you remove the sense of irony from Marvel you are left with very little of value. Lee may have been inspired by Shakespeare but I don't think he was ever under the illusion that he was actually writing Shakespeare.
    I guess irony in a tragic sense (Uncle Ben death, Man out of Time, War profiteer with an iron heart etc, but I usually view the heroes and their situations at face-value.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess irony in a tragic sense (Uncle Ben death, Man out of Time, War profiteer with an iron heart etc, but I usually view the heroes and their situations at face-value.
    Hmmm. That does explain quite a lot.

The way I see it, comics have to have their tongue in their cheek to a certain extent. Those that don't are too earnest for my tastes. For me they need to be somewhat knowing of their own incongruity. This is what I mean by ironic in this context. They need to have a wry self-aware understanding of their own ridiculousness. A touch of postmodern irony if you will.

Thor is not a serious character by any stretch of the imagination. He can be used in serious stories, he can find himself in serious situations and his stories can be profound, but he is a thunder god that walks the Earth! A god without worshippers who has become a caped superhero.

The last thing I want is for Marvel to start taking him seriously. That would destroy him. This is my biggest problem with the Fraction minis. They try too hard to have the gravitas of the Norse Sagas. They seek to position Thor back into the mythology. Marvel is not Wagner and shouldn't try to be. This was what Simonson did right. He used the myths playfully. He had fun with it. There was much irony in his Thor.

This is why I find it so frustrating when the Simonson run is lauded above writers who are essentially doing the same thing. Gillen got the irony of Thor and especially Loki - JMS got it - Aaron gets it - even Fraction seemed to get it in Fear Itself, which despite not being a huge fan of Fraction's run I did enjoy. They all have that sense of playful incongruity. The exact same thing that Taika Waititi expresses in his director's commentary when he muses on how we would describe his movie to somebody that had no idea about Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Tom De Falco run was old school but it had some very cool story arcs and the art was great i think.
    The Dan Jurgens run in Thor and the Langridge/Samnee Thor run are stories that i will be reading eventually.
    In total agreement with you concerning the DeFalco run, especially when Frenz was allowed to tweak his art-style for a more 90's aesthetic.

Also good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful time with both the Jurgens run & the Langridge/Samnee run.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

You should really pick up the Roy Thomas/John Buscema run. Especially the Ragnarok and Eternals sagas.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Baby girl, what you doing?
    Where your man?
    Ulik going hard
    As we go invade Midgard
    I ain't doing no playin'
    Leaving all the realms scarred
    But now Thor's called all his friends
    Heroes held in high regard
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I want a Trautmann run on She-Hulk or Black Panther please.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

This is some great art!

It is glorious to know we have Dauterman back again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Hmmm. That does explain quite a lot.

The way I see it, comics have to have their tongue in their cheek to a certain extent. Those that don't are too earnest for my tastes. For me they need to be somewhat knowing of their own incongruity. This is what I mean by ironic in this context. They need to have a wry self-aware understanding of their own ridiculousness. A touch of postmodern irony if you will.

Thor is not a serious character by any stretch of the imagination. He can be used in serious stories, he can find himself in serious situations and his stories can be profound, but he is a thunder god that walks the Earth! A god without worshippers who has become a caped superhero.

The last thing I want is for Marvel to start taking him seriously. That would destroy him. This is my biggest problem with the Fraction minis. They try too hard to have the gravitas of the Norse Sagas. They seek to position Thor back into the mythology. Marvel is not Wagner and shouldn't try to be. This was what Simonson did right. He used the myths playfully. He had fun with it. There was much irony in his Thor.

This is why I find it so frustrating when the Simonson run is lauded above writers who are essentially doing the same thing. Gillen got the irony of Thor and especially Loki - JMS got it - Aaron gets it - even Fraction seemed to get it in Fear Itself, which despite not being a huge fan of Fraction's run I did enjoy. They all have that sense of playful incongruity. The exact same thing that Taika Waititi expresses in his director's commentary when he muses on how we would describe his movie to somebody that had no idea about Marvel.
    I guess that's where differ again. I prefer my heroes depicted more earnestly and I personally enjoy a more serious Thor, if not grim an serious but treated with respect and dignity regarding what's going on around him, not matter how fantastical.
    Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Oh hey, they remembered Sif!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I want a Trautmann run on She-Hulk or Black Panther please.
    I'd like to see Dauterman draw a non-roided out She-Hulk on a more consistent basis...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that's where differ again. I prefer my heroes depicted more earnestly and I personally enjoy a more serious Thor, if not grim an serious but treated with respect and dignity regarding what's going on around him, not matter how fantastical.
    And that partly explains why we don't always see eye to eye on these things. We have different underlying expectations from the writers.

Creative teams you’d like to see after Aaron leaves the book? (Try not to pick anyone who’s already been on the title before.)
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Creative teams you’d like to see after Aaron leaves the book? (Try not to pick anyone who’s already been on the title before.)
    Writer: Greg Rucka

Artist: Kenneth Rocafort

reading the latest AotG chapter, I really appreciate Angela calling Thor... well Thor.

and that's before he even regained his... name (damn, that sounds weird asf).
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-09-2019 at 03:22 AM.