Thor #160 Jan 1969
    "And Now... Galactus!"
    Tana Nile asks Thor to travel with her to Rigel

to challenge Galactus,

who is approaching their galaxy.

Appearances by Sif and the Recorder.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Vince Colletta

THOR #12
    • JASON AARON (W) • MIKE DEL MUNDO (A/C)
    • ASGARDIAN VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    • WAR OF THE REALMS TIE-IN!
    • Fatherly love is not something with which Loki Laufeyson is terribly familiar. Still, you’d think that with the Frost Giants invading New York in Malekith’s WAR OF THE REALMS, he’d find some quality time to spend with dear old deadly Dad. And he will. But not in the way you’d think…

Last edited by juan678; 01-17-2019 at 01:25 PM.

BANNED

Can we still see this in MCU?

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!!!

Thor #339 Jan 1984
    "Something Old, Something New..."
    After arriving back in Asgard and pronouncing his victory, Beta Ray Bill collapses.
    Odin declares that neither warrior will perish, and to take them both to the house of healing.
    The attendants are very curious about Bill, but Lorelei finds him repulsive.
    Her and Sif debate over looks versus honor, until Odin arrives.
    Odin goes in to see Thor who feels disgraced before him.
    Thor announces he will renounce his godhood and leave Asgard forever.
    Odin tells him that he will have to speak with Bill, who is not happy with the outcome either.
    Odin then goes to speak with Bill, who wants to know if his claim on the hammer is only until someone stronger comes along?
    He knows it was forged for Thor, but he needs it as well. Bill asks if there is a way out of this dilemma of honor and need.

Odin tells him that in the past, the gods demanded a sacrifice for help,
    but Bill has already given him something precious - the life of his son.
    So Odin will grant what aid he can and bestow on Bill a gift, one that may destroy him.
    Later that evening, a rider crests the hill, through the pass of Ullthang, and into Nidavellir.
    Eitri recognizes Odin immediately and asks what the dwarves can do for the gods.
    Through the night, the two talk, and Eitri agrees to the task on one condition.
    Odin must send a woman to defeat their champion, only then will old wrongs be redressed.

Back in Asgard, Thor and Bill discuss the outcome of their contest, when they see Sif in full armor, riding fast.
    When they ask a nurse about what's going on, she tells them that Sif rides
    out to fight a champion on behalf of them both and that she may never return.
    On the ride, Sif recalls her meeting with Odin and her own secret reason for accepting Odin's request.
    She is intrigued by Bill and wants to find favor in his eyes.
    Suddenly, the dwarves champion ambushes Sif. She fights back, but the dwarf is larger than she is.

Elsewhere, Volstagg is sitting on Agnar, telling him of the trials of Balder.
    Of how Loki tricked Hoder into killing Balder, and how he traveled through Hela's domain.
    Someplace else, the gigantic figure continues its forging, the forging of a great sword.
    In Quebec, Rene Baroque laments buying the food processor when Fafnir arrives and destroys the lighthouse with him in it.

Back in Nidavellir, Sif overcomes Throgg and knocks him unconscious.
    Eitri arrives and is happy that Sif defeated Throgg.
    He tells her that Throgg has been using his freakish size to bully the dwarves.
    After having been beaten by a woman, he won't show his face for a long time.
    Eitri then tells the rest of the dwarves to stoke the furnaces, it's time to work!
    After Sif's return to Asgard, she speaks with Bill. He tells her that he longs to return to his people, his duty lies with them.
    Sif wants to know if he will return to Asgard, but Bill tells her no.
    Asgard reminds him of everything he gave up when he was remade, he has no humanity left...for anyone.

In Nidavellir, Odin, Sif, Thor, and Bill are present while the dwarves work a forging unlike since the beginning of time.
    When the time is right, Odin unleashes the full force of his magic into the mold, and Bill reaches in.

When he pulls out the hammer, he changes once more into Beta Ray Thor!

Odin asks Bill if he accepts this great responsibility, and he does with all his heart.
    Odin names the hammer Stormbreaker and then returns Mjolnir to Thor, which is his alone.
    Odin then tells Bill that he must hurry, the demons are almost upon his people.
    Thor decides to go with Bill to help him and calls Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder to help carry them quickly.
    Sif tells them that she is coming with them, and the three of them race for the stars.

Script and art by Walter Simonson

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Thor #339 Jan 1984
    "Something Old, Something New..."
    After arriving back in Asgard and pronouncing his victory, Beta Ray Bill collapses.
    Odin declares that neither warrior will perish, and to take them both to the house of healing.
    The attendants are very curious about Bill, but Lorelei finds him repulsive.
    Her and Sif debate over looks versus honor, until Odin arrives.
    Odin goes in to see Thor who feels disgraced before him.
    Thor announces he will renounce his godhood and leave Asgard forever.
    Odin tells him that he will have to speak with Bill, who is not happy with the outcome either.
    Odin then goes to speak with Bill, who wants to know if his claim on the hammer is only until someone stronger comes along?
    He knows it was forged for Thor, but he needs it as well. Bill asks if there is a way out of this dilemma of honor and need.

Odin tells him that in the past, the gods demanded a sacrifice for help,
    but Bill has already given him something precious - the life of his son.
    So Odin will grant what aid he can and bestow on Bill a gift, one that may destroy him.
    Later that evening, a rider crests the hill, through the pass of Ullthang, and into Nidavellir.
    Eitri recognizes Odin immediately and asks what the dwarves can do for the gods.
    Through the night, the two talk, and Eitri agrees to the task on one condition.
    Odin must send a woman to defeat their champion, only then will old wrongs be redressed.

Back in Asgard, Thor and Bill discuss the outcome of their contest, when they see Sif in full armor, riding fast.
    When they ask a nurse about what's going on, she tells them that Sif rides
    out to fight a champion on behalf of them both and that she may never return.
    On the ride, Sif recalls her meeting with Odin and her own secret reason for accepting Odin's request.
    She is intrigued by Bill and wants to find favor in his eyes.
    Suddenly, the dwarves champion ambushes Sif. She fights back, but the dwarf is larger than she is.

Elsewhere, Volstagg is sitting on Agnar, telling him of the trials of Balder.
    Of how Loki tricked Hoder into killing Balder, and how he traveled through Hela's domain.
    Someplace else, the gigantic figure continues its forging, the forging of a great sword.
    In Quebec, Rene Baroque laments buying the food processor when Fafnir arrives and destroys the lighthouse with him in it.

Back in Nidavellir, Sif overcomes Throgg and knocks him unconscious.
    Eitri arrives and is happy that Sif defeated Throgg.
    He tells her that Throgg has been using his freakish size to bully the dwarves.
    After having been beaten by a woman, he won't show his face for a long time.
    Eitri then tells the rest of the dwarves to stoke the furnaces, it's time to work!
    After Sif's return to Asgard, she speaks with Bill. He tells her that he longs to return to his people, his duty lies with them.
    Sif wants to know if he will return to Asgard, but Bill tells her no.
    Asgard reminds him of everything he gave up when he was remade, he has no humanity left...for anyone.

In Nidavellir, Odin, Sif, Thor, and Bill are present while the dwarves work a forging unlike since the beginning of time.
    When the time is right, Odin unleashes the full force of his magic into the mold, and Bill reaches in.

When he pulls out the hammer, he changes once more into Beta Ray Thor!

Odin asks Bill if he accepts this great responsibility, and he does with all his heart.
    Odin names the hammer Stormbreaker and then returns Mjolnir to Thor, which is his alone.
    Odin then tells Bill that he must hurry, the demons are almost upon his people.
    Thor decides to go with Bill to help him and calls Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder to help carry them quickly.
    Sif tells them that she is coming with them, and the three of them race for the stars.

Script and art by Walter Simonson
    I love me some Beta Ray Bill.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Finding it hard to get excited about the upcoming World of the realms storyline. Be interested though to find out whether it will be Aaron‘s final swan song on the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I love me some Beta Ray Bill.
    Me too. Simonson's Beta Ray Bill for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Jurgen's run in the first two years is a pretty good book that's carried by Romita Jr. Then when he leaves it's just kinda meh even though it has a G like Adam Kubert. But then it gets way more ambitious and starts pulling its weight on the writing side in the last three years, but the resolution is so wack that it practically makes the whole thing a waste of time. It's a really weird era. One one hand, you can understand why it's not that popular and so little of it sticks. But on the other, it's so weird that one of the longest runs on a flagship character might as well have vanished into the void.
    I disagree I think Jurgens' run is up there with the best. It does have its flaws but that was also because of how Marvel started changing in the early 2000's with the introduction of the Ultimate universe and the superheroes becoming more and more jaded and anti-heroes. Even old-school things like thought bubbles and narration boxes disappeared and the artwork became more "cinematic." Post-2007 there hasn't been one run that has approached it in quality, IMO. JMS' run started off very well but he never finished it and the pacing was considerably slower. Just in the first story arc of Jurgens' run more stuff happens than in the entirety of the JMS story. I think most Thor fans really appreciate Jurgens' run, especially considering the wackiness of guys like Fraction and Aaron on the character. These days the character is barely recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Creative teams you’d like to see after Aaron leaves the book? (Try not to pick anyone who’s already been on the title before.)
    Writer: Jonathan Hickman. I liked how he wrote Thor with his speech pattern/dialogue. I never read his Ultimate Thor, but I think he could do a good job with the regular Marvel version.
    Artist: Sara Pichelli

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Writer: Jonathan Hickman. I liked how he wrote Thor with his speech pattern/dialogue. I never read his Ultimate Thor, but I think he could do a good job with the regular Marvel version.
    he could continue Thor x Abyss

Artist: Sara Pichelli
    I second this.

her art is phenomenal.

Astonishing Member

Interesting.
    So thats why all those Asgardian villains go to Earth as can be seen in the War of the Realms preview pages.
    (I am trade waiting the Thor stories,so i am a bit behind in understanding this event)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Thor is great.
    All though i had not read as many stories of Thor as i have of other super heroes,there have been great runs of Thor.
    The first Thor stories i read were the Walter Simonson stories in Thor.Ever since then i liked the run´s of Tom de Falco,J. Michael Straczynski ,Matt Fraction and Jason Aaron.
    Walter Simonson did a terrific job and so did Tom DeFalco who followed him.
    I feel the same way regarding Frank Miller's run followed up by Ann Nocenti's on Daredevil.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I finally watched Thor Ragnarok yesterday. It took me a long time to watch it, because all the talk about how hilarious it was scared me. I have to say, I enjoyed it a lot. But I didn't think it was that funny. Some jokes I did like, especially when he and Hulk are screaming at each other, but I wouldn't say the movie as a whole was hilarious to me. That said, I really liked it, which is a relief. It was way more enjoyable than Thor 1 and especially Thor 2 (which is probably the MCU movie I like the least. I'm not even sure I like it at all to be honest).
    To me the hilarious aspect of Thor Ragnarok disguises how incredibly dark the movie was Hela is clearly depicted as murdering a lot of people (in the past as well as in the present) before her reign of terror is halted by combined forces.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!!!

Thor #399 Jan 1989
    War of Gods: Part 5 of 6 "When Asgard Dies"
    In Asgard, the forces of life and the forces of death clash in fierce combat;
    Seth challenges Balder to single combat, and of course, cheats;
    Balder falls and returns Thor's power to him;

The manacles holding Odin were really power dampeners, hiding his presence from Surtur;

Odin imparts all his power to Thor to fight the fire demon when he arrives.

Appearances by Loki, Karnilla, Hogun, the Enchantress, Sif, the Black Knight and the Earth Force.

Script by Tom DeFalco, pencils by Ron Frenz, inks by Romeo Tanghal