Page 48 of 216 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I'm going to ask that you back that up with something, because I don't see it as true at all. The hammer tends to be a visual symbol of craftsmen and smiths, I think it is only in the Norse myths that it is identified with thunder; in the Greek myths the hammer is a symbol of Hephaestus, a god of Blacksmiths, fire, and volcanoes, but not thunder and lightning.
    I don’t see this as contradictory. I am talking about the Norse myths in that sentence. In the Norse myths the sound of thunder is Thor using his hammer, just like in many western cultures we say thunder is god moving the furniture in heaven. Indeed Mjolnir has the power to level mountains so in a culture surrounded by volcanoes there is probably a link there too. The added part for Norse myth is that when you strike a hammer you get sparks so that’s the lightning. I am sure I am not saying anything that isn’t common knowledge here.

The issue with Norse myth is that it is impossible to say for certain that any of the gods are ‘gods of’ type entities. Odin is a kind of ‘god of poets’ but that may be more like a patron saint type association. I don’t believe there are Thor inscriptions on hammers, but there are Swastikas found on swords, which may indicate the sword was empowered with the power of Mjolnir and or Thor. So Thor and his hammer were perhaps synonymous with power and strength.

The famous hammer pendants seem to be mostly from the early Christian Era, and may just be a way of denoting a non-Christian in the face of crucifix wearers. So we don’t know if the symbol of a hammer imbued any protection or potency.

We suspect the hammer was seen as a ward against chaos, because it was used in wedding rituals presumably mirroring the famous crossdressing story, where Thor reclaimed the hammer and attacked the giants at the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Aaron openly stated that he doesn't write for fans but for himself.

he is doing this to spite us.
    I write in my spare time. I can categorically state that writing for an audience is never as easy as writing for oneself. A comic reading audience would almost certainly be much harder. Best to ignore fans. Years ago it used to count against potential writers of Dr Who if they were fans. The BBC tried not to hire fans. For comics that is pretty difficult because most writers are fans. Aaron is a comic fan so technically he is writing for a fan.

It is entirely counterproductive to think of the characters as fan products. They are not.

you don't say those stuff in public LoL.

and Aaron being a fan... no wonder everybody is pissed for his characterization of Thor, Odin, She-Hulk, his run with Thanos and his run with Doctor Strange.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I write in my spare time. I can categorically state that writing for an audience is never as easy as writing for oneself. A comic reading audience would almost certainly be much harder. Best to ignore fans. Years ago it used to count against potential writers of Dr Who if they were fans. The BBC tried not to hire fans. For comics that is pretty difficult because most writers are fans. Aaron is a comic fan so technically he is writing for a fan.

It is entirely counterproductive to think of the characters as fan products. They are not.
    You're absolutely right.

But that said, while characters are not fan products, neither are they writer products. They work for Marvel and are charged with shepherding them for a time. Writers should keep an eye towards building up the mythos and making it stronger.

In that regard, myself and others, feel as if Aaron is doing the opposite. Just sayin'

BANNED

except the writer had to take care of fans of the series as well.

give me a pen and I'll make Thor TOAA but no one would like that except for me as a writer.

I would have to take fans of the series into consideration as well.
    Writing for the fans is a losing game.

It's absolutely impossible to know what every fan wants.

Fans themselves don't agree on what they want.

All a writer can do is trust their instincts, write the story that interests them, and hope that readers respond.

In that, Aaron has been successful.

The sustained popularity of his run speaks for itself.

you don't say those stuff in public LoL.

and Aaron being a fan... no wonder everybody is pissed for his characterization of Thor, Odin, She-Hulk, his run with Thanos and his run with Doctor Strange.
    "Everybody?"

How about "some people."

"Some people" are always pissed about something.

Do some people agree with you? Sure, that's a given.

But the larger percentage of fans, the ones that have embraced Aaron's Thor run and have made it a long-running hit, clearly feel very differently.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    You're absolutely right.

But that said, while characters are not fan products, neither are they writer products. They work for Marvel and are charged with shepherding them for a time. Writers should keep an eye towards building up the mythos and making it stronger.

In that regard, myself and others, feel as if Aaron is doing the opposite. Just sayin'
    And others would disagree and say that Aaron has built up the mythos and made it stronger.

You're entitled to not like whatever you don't like. Everyone has their opinions. But failing to understand that the marketplace has the ultimate say in regards to what is popular and that the voice of fans who vote with their dollars means a lot more and speaks louder than a handful of people griping on message boards or on YouTube.

What has been built up in this run, come to think of it? Aside from Jane Foster.

I guess now we have Freyja as the ultimate antithesis and good queen to Odin's failed and incompetent king.

Malekith as Big Bad and the new Loki in Thor's life. Dario Agger being a thing.

I'm not sure if Aaron's takes on the Nine Realms will have much sway come the next writer doing whatever they want with it.

I guess the concept of Gorr and the Necrosword.

Queen of Cinders is basically female Surtur and as such will probably not catch on like Surtur.

Hmm...should we count the Angela as Thor's sister thing, I guess?

I guess this run has probably built up the importance of hammers in Thor books to a ridiculous extent. And mead.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Thor #282 Apr 1979
    "Rites of Passage"
    After Thor tried to travel back in time to when the Celestials first appeared on Earth, he ended up in Limbo with Mjölnir vanishing from his grasp;
    In Limbo, the Space Phantom led Thor into a trap;
    Now, in the present, the Space Phantom realizes that whatever he had planned for Thor is not working and checks in on him;
    He discovers that he is losing his godly attributes and transports him out;
    Thor returns to normal and confronts the Phantom;
    He tells Thor that he does not know where Mjölnir is but he thinks he can find it;
    He leads Thor to the castle of Immortus, where they are confronted by Tempus;

Thor and Tempus battle back and forth, until finally, using Tempus' own club, he is defeated by Thor;

Thor and the Phantom enter the castle and find Immortus holding Mjölnir.

Script by Mark Gruenwald and Ralph Macchio, pencils by Keith Pollard (breakdowns) and
    Pablo Marcos (finished art), inks by Pablo Marcos

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What has been built up in this run, come to think of it? Aside from Jane Foster.

I guess now we have Freyja as the ultimate antithesis and good queen to Odin's failed and incompetent king.

Malekith as Big Bad and the new Loki in Thor's life. Dario Agger being a thing.

I'm not sure if Aaron's takes on the Nine Realms will have much sway come the next writer doing whatever they want with it.

I guess the concept of Gorr and the Necrosword.

Queen of Cinders is basically female Surtur and as such will probably not catch on like Surtur.

Hmm...should we count the Angela as Thor's sister thing, I guess?

I guess this run has probably built up the importance of hammers in Thor books to a ridiculous extent. And mead.
    fun fact is:

Freya, Frigga or Freyja or whatever her name is nowdays had absolutely no relevance whatsoever until Fraction and Aaron shoehorned her in our faces.

since then, she is the most wounded wife in history and is a better leader than Odin ever was (which pretty much contradicts a lot of things).

not to mention everybody now apparently worship her even though they didn't give any level of a s**t before.

we have this family drama for 8 years already.

it was the best when it was Odin, Thor and Loki.

also, I don't fail to notice that they completely ignore Sifs teleport power.

oh and Thor felt Freyja (not even his blood mother) getting stabbed across the Universe but he didn't felt when Odin (his blood father) was stabbed.

also, I don't fail to notice that they completely ignore Sifs teleport power.

oh and Thor felt Freyja (not even his blood mother) getting stabbed across the Universe but he didn't felt when Odin (his blood father) was stabbed.
    that's because thor was ...................adopted, he was the son U.S. aliens/proto migrant vikings
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    that's because thor was ...................adopted, he was the son U.S. aliens/proto migrant vikings
    imagine if Aaron retcons Thor's origin by making him the son of a mortal man and immortal Gaea.

Wow...

imagine if Aaron retcons Thor's origin by making him the son of a mortal man and immortal Gaea.

Wow...
    would it make any difference at this point? his father was a common human blacksmith hence the fixation with hammers
    Last edited by Daedra; 04-11-2019 at 03:04 AM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    would it make any difference at this point? his father was a common human blacksmith hence the fixation with hammers

you dare speak of Odin, the one who is the Wisest in the Cosmos!!!

the one who people of Asgard respect, whose death against Surtur was noticed by Cosmic Entities themselves!!!

the one who was never being afraid to fi...

oh I forgot
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-11-2019 at 03:33 AM.

you dare speak of Odin, the one who is the Wisest in the Cosmos!!!

the one who people of Asgard respect, whose death against Surtur was noticed by Cosmic Entities themselves!!!

the one who was never being afraid to fi...

oh I forgot
    Speaking of Odin, do you think it's too late for him to take dance lessons????

dancing.jpg