Page 50 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I am pretty sure that figure is quite small in the broader scheme of things, because of the way both Marvel and DC run their businesses. You can see it in their choices. But always remember those long term collectors that are loyal may also approve of the product, (I am proof of that) and that older fans like myself and others here, are actually a minority even in the direct market. Many of those loyal collectors started doing so relatively recently. We can only define loyalty as a customer with a habit or a pull list, we can’t work out their preferences aside from what they buy.

Buying something one doesn’t approve of is not a very good idea. I was a loyal Star Wars fan. But I stopped going to see the movies when I no longer enjoyed them because I am not a masochist.
    Perhaps it is a small number, but none of us here know that with any certainty, any guesses to it are just that, a guess, nothing more

Since we know that comic readers will buy stuff they don't really like to maintain a run number or complete a collection we can only know those buyers exist

My opinion is that with all longer established characters that proportion is actually higher than we might imagine

But as I say, none of us know that number with any accuracy

I am certainly appreciative that the war is coming to a conclusion, then I can look forward to what comes after

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Perhaps it is a small number, but none of us here know that with any certainty, any guesses to it are just that, a guess, nothing more

Since we know that comic readers will buy stuff they don't really like to maintain a run number or complete a collection we can only know those buyers exist

My opinion is that with all longer established characters that proportion is actually higher than we might imagine

But as I say, none of us know that number with any accuracy
    The way that Thor has not always managed to maintain an audience is a big clue. Indeed his revival by JMS came after a gap of three years and was probably partly motivated by the knowledge that the movie project was beginning to garner interest again. It is highly probable therefore, that the majority of Thor fans are fans of the movies and buying their books via Amazon and other book channel sources. Not Wednesday warriors with pull lists that go back to the eighties or longer.

The project that resulted in Thor (2011) was beginning in 2006 and the comic was revived probably around March-April 2007 for a July release. That is probably not a coincidence.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-12-2019 at 04:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

The way that Thor has not always managed to maintain an audience is a big clue. Indeed his revival by JMS came after a gap of three years and was probably partly motivated by the knowledge that the movie project was beginning to garner interest again. It is highly probable therefore, that the majority of Thor fans are fans of the movies and buying their books via Amazon and other book channel sources. Not Wednesday warriors with pull lists that go back to the eighties or longer.

The project that resulted in Thor (2011) was beginning in 2006 and the comic was revived probably around March-April 2007 for a July release. That is probably not a coincidence.
    Maybe, but it's not like he's been cancelled a lot or often for very long

And the rest is guessing not a calculation of probability

One could just as easily conclude it had been out of print so fans lapped up his return

Once they started many might keep up the collection anyway

We will never be sure
    Last edited by kilderkin; 04-12-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

This week’s Asgardians of the Galaxy. That is Ren Kimura, and that’s her power., using dance as a weapon. (Kind of a ribbon version of Wolverine, but an Inhuman not a mutant) She is the girlfriend of Annabelle Riggs and a character from Fearless Defenders.
    Big fan of this book

Love the art and pacing

Character blend is great

Probably my favourite marvel at present

Solid stuff

It's no big secret that Thor has been out of favour with the big writers at Marvel for almost 20 (?) years. Thor fans have been complaining for as long as I've been coming to the boards about the way Thor is being portrayed in the "modern" era: a barbarian with a club. And what's really annoying is that they finally returned all the qualities that were missing from Thor in recent years back to Thor... only it was Jane-Thor. It's part of what makes Jane's Thor so popular - she's portrayed as sympathetic, resourceful, skilled, classy, and intelligent - all things which recent portrayals of Thor Odinson have been lacking in. Thor the character has really been short-changed in the modern era, and I don't see that changing with the current bunch of writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It's no big secret that Thor has been out of favour with the big writers at Marvel for almost 20 (?) years. Thor fans have been complaining for as long as I've been coming to the boards about the way Thor is being portrayed in the "modern" era: a barbarian with a club. And what's really annoying is that they finally returned all the qualities that were missing from Thor in recent years back to Thor... only it was Jane-Thor. It's part of what makes Jane's Thor so popular - she's portrayed as sympathetic, resourceful, skilled, classy, and intelligent - all things which recent portrayals of Thor Odinson have been lacking in. Thor the character has really been short-changed in the modern era, and I don't see that changing with the current bunch of writers.
    the last time Thor and Odin had a good characterization was back during Dan Jurgens run.

it was also the last time we had that shakespearean speech.

after JMS and Gillen runs when Fraction took over, Odin's character suffered a major blow.

unfortunately, Aaron makes matters worse.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-12-2019 at 09:01 AM.

By what definition of ‘big writer’ are you thinking? Every writer since Jurgens has been a big name or went on to be one. Thor has had a great writer pedigree for his entire existence.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Big fan of this book

Love the art and pacing

Character blend is great

Probably my favourite marvel at present

Solid stuff
    Glad someone is enjoying it. I am not feeling it at all. I really liked Fearless Defenders, but this book has not grabbed me yet. Indeed I had to catch up with it for the tie-in because I had let my reading of it lapse. Read the Ego story today and was quite bored by it.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1116740259033886721

2:33

yeah, Aaron's favorite Thor is Jane LoL.

I'm shocked to the bone... I really am.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.

By what definition of ‘big writer’ are you thinking? Every writer since Jurgens has been a big name or went on to be one. Thor has had a great writer pedigree for his entire existence.
    Yes, my point wasn't that Thor hadn't had big name writers, it was that the writers assigned haven't really seemed to be very passionate about Thor himself, and I don't believe it's a title that many have been queuing up to write. I didn't try Fraction's run, but I understand it is... not good. Aside from possibly Hickman, I doubt any of the current architects would list Thor as one of their top five favourite heroes.

Astonishing Member

Glad someone is enjoying it. I am not feeling it at all. I really liked Fearless Defenders, but this book has not grabbed me yet. Indeed I had to catch up with it for the tie-in because I had let my reading of it lapse. Read the Ego story today and was quite bored by it.
    I can't see it lasting much past the realms war, but I'm happy to see Angela and Valkyrie while I can

Yes, my point wasn't that Thor hadn't had big name writers, it was that the writers assigned haven't really seemed to be very passionate about Thor himself, and I don't believe it's a title that many have been queuing up to write. I didn't try Fraction's run, but I understand it is... not good. Aside from possibly Hickman, I doubt any of the current architects would list Thor as one of their top five favourite heroes.
    You are understanding the importance of Aaron, which if you are not a fan is possibly understandable. He is one of those writers’ writers, in that just about every writer admires his work and makes a point of saying so. He is one of the current architects of the MU.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-13-2019 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1116740259033886721

2:33

yeah, Aaron's favorite Thor is Jane LoL.

I'm shocked to the bone... I really am.
    He clearly doesn’t say that. Why twist even this?

He clearly doesn’t say that. Why twist even this?
    he has a soft spot for Jane.

in other words, he likes her the most which was clearly showed when he was writing her while he was destroying Thor.

Oh and he wears her shirt most of the time.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-19-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    he has a soft spot for Jane.

in other words, he likes her the most which was clearly showed when he was writing her while he was destroying Thor.

Oh an he wears her shirt most of the time.
    honestly it's quite obvious, you'r right!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”