Page 51 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 765 of 3234
  1. #751
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You are understanding the importance of Aaron, which if you are not a fan is possibly understandable. He is one of those writers’ writers, in that just about every writer admires his work and makes a point of saying so. He is one of the current architects of the MU.
    No, I get that Aaron is considered one of Marvel's top writers, and the fact I really dislike his approach to existing characters doesn't mean I don't think he doesn't know what he's doing; I do not think he is passionate about Thor (Odinson), and I think his run has developed to diminish and marginalise Thor (and Odin), and that he is far more interested in promoting other characters around him.

  2. #752
    Mighty Member GodThor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    hey what if this is all just a dream???

    what if Thor wakes up and says What a dream.

    then we can start over after the Siege and do something completely different.

    that would be awesome.

  3. #753
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    No, I get that Aaron is considered one of Marvel's top writers, and the fact I really dislike his approach to existing characters doesn't mean I don't think he doesn't know what he's doing; I do not think he is passionate about Thor (Odinson), and I think his run has developed to diminish and marginalise Thor (and Odin), and that he is far more interested in promoting other characters around him.
    Mostly in agreement with this

  4. #754
    Beware! Daedra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    hey what if this is all just a dream???

    what if Thor wakes up and says What a dream.

    then we can start over after the Siege and do something completely different.

    that would be awesome.
    a dream ? .....you mean a nightmare right?
    It's funny because when I saw her behind on the glass at the end of the show, I thought, "That's where she needs to be. In captivity. Behind a glass in a lab somewhere that she can be studied like the psychotic specimen she is."

  5. #755
    Mighty Member GodThor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    a dream ? .....you mean a nightmare right?
    Here is another.

    I just found out that Malekith send assassins after 6 people.

    1. Odin
    2. Freyja
    3. Thor
    4. Loki
    5. Balder
    6. JANE

    Jane miraculously survived while Odin got wrekted...

  6. #756
    Beware! Daedra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Here is another.

    I just found out that Malekith send assassins after 6 people.

    1. Odin
    2. Freyja
    3. Thor
    4. Loki
    5. Balder
    6. JANE

    Jane miraculously survived while Odin got wrekted...
    I swear if there ever was a nuclear war on earth she and a couple of cockroaches would be the only survivors
    It's funny because when I saw her behind on the glass at the end of the show, I thought, "That's where she needs to be. In captivity. Behind a glass in a lab somewhere that she can be studied like the psychotic specimen she is."

  7. #757
    Fantastic Member Wall-Crawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Just got around to reading WOTR.
    That last page would have been gold if not for the mention of hammers, he doesn't need a freaking hammer to beat Frost Giants.

    It's like Aaron heard that quote from Ragnarok about "god of hammers" and made it his mission to portray him as just that and getting back at the fans who made fun of him for that, he must be the pettiest writer in the industry, reminds me of what he did with Absorbing Man and Titania, like I said, pettiest writer in the industry.

  8. #758
    Ultimate Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    10,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Oh an he wears her shirt most of the time.
    If you had created a derivative character that had been drawn so fantastically so would you wear the T-shirt in Thor interviews.

  9. #759
    Ultimate Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    10,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    No, I get that Aaron is considered one of Marvel's top writers, and the fact I really dislike his approach to existing characters doesn't mean I don't think he doesn't know what he's doing; I do not think he is passionate about Thor (Odinson), and I think his run has developed to diminish and marginalise Thor (and Odin), and that he is far more interested in promoting other characters around him.
    His passion is obvious for Thor. The fact that he told a story about a separate aspect of Thor doesn’t take that away. She was still Thor.

  10. #760
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    His passion is obvious for Thor. The fact that he told a story about a separate aspect of Thor doesn’t take that away. She was still Thor.
    Was she?

    Aaron has delegitimized Gods through the worthiness clause, he retconned the power of the hammr to be something else entirely, turned Odin into a Men's Rights strawman, will likely never stop with young Thor's virtue signalling, and the only issues Jane had carrying the mantle of Thor was that it was physically killing her. If she didn't have cancer, she would have been just fine.

    If Aaron has a passion for any God, it seems to have been Hercules. He just shoved Thor into his mold.

  11. #761
    Ultimate Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    10,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Was she?

    Aaron has delegitimized Gods through the worthiness clause, he retconned the power of the hammr to be something else entirely, turned Odin into a Men's Rights strawman, will likely never stop with young Thor's virtue signalling, and the only issues Jane had carrying the mantle of Thor was that it was physically killing her. If she didn't have cancer, she would have been just fine.

    If Aaron has a passion for any God, it seems to have been Hercules. He just shoved Thor into his mold.
    I don’t recognise that portrait at all. But it is also circular. I have already expressed why I don’t believe the ‘Aaron has made Thor like Herc’ complaints. You are totally mischaracterising the whole run to try and turn it into some kind of tokenism or to use ‘straw man’ rhetoric. I am pretty sure most comic book fans dont understand what virtue signalling actually is because it is never used correctly in these discussions, and again that has been debated to death here and in diversity threads.

    So instead of going around and around with rhetoric about feminism, let’s just stick to the facts.

    The Jane Foster Thor book was about a character called Thor, with the powers of Thor, exploring what it means to be Thor, examining the continuity of Thor, occasionally taking a deep dive into the ambiguities of Thor, always celebrating Thor comics and their tropes.

    The only way to get from there to ‘Men’s rights strawman’ is to not even try and read it sympathetically. To just get hung up on ‘my guy isn’t in this’ and miss all of the joy and celebration of Thor. As I have said many times to you and others, there is a way to enjoy Aaron, and that is to stop making him into a bad guy and just read the story as a fun comic. A very serious and artfully constructed fun comic. If you have no desire to do that then don’t read it. Hate reading is not a very good idea.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-16-2019 at 02:00 AM.

  12. #762
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I don’t recognise that portrait at all. But it is also circular. I have already expressed why I don’t believe the ‘Aaron has made Thor like Herc’ complaints. You are totally mischaracterising the whole run to try and turn it into some kind of tokenism or to use ‘straw man’ rhetoric. I am pretty sure most comic book fans dont understand what virtue signalling actually is because it is never used correctly in these discussions, and again that has been debated to death here and in diversity threads.
    Most comic book fans may not understand it, but I do. Aaron, via his depiction of past Thor, is trying to say that Thor is not worthy because he does good things, but he does good things to be worthy. It's an argument about Heaven that some atheists apply to some Christians. They do not do good because it is good, but to earn passage into Heaven.

    Aaron has constantly had Thor virtue signalling, so yeah.

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    So instead of going around and around with rhetoric about feminism, let’s just stick to the facts.
    I don't believe that I brought up feminism at all, actually

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    The Jane Foster Thor book was about a character called Thor, with the powers of Thor, exploring what it means to be Thor, examining the continuity of Thor, occasionally taking a deep dive into the ambiguities of Thor, always celebrating Thor comics and their tropes.
    Really? Is that why he revealed that Thor cheated on Jane? Please don't tell me that's not a Herc move.

    And Jane barely counts as a celebration of Thor's past and canon, as she barely seemed to struggle to uphold the legacy (unlike say, Nightwing or Falcon), she used the hammer better than Thor starting out of the gate, and totally rewrote the history of the hammer and the power inside.

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    The only way to get from there to ‘Men’s rights strawman’ is to not even try and read it sympathetically. To just get hung up on ‘my guy isn’t in this’ and miss all of the joy and celebration of Thor. As I have said many times to you and others, there is a way to enjoy Aaron, and that is to stop making him into a bad guy and just read the story as a fun comic. A very serious and artfully constructed fun comic. If you have no desire to do that then don’t read it. Hate reading is not a very good idea.
    I refuse to ignore obvious symbolism, and frankly, loath it when writers needlessly tear down characters. Be it Amazon Attacks or Aaron's Thor

  13. #763
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    But now you're just blatantly cheating. I specifically said Thor (Odinson), and you're arguing that differentiating between Thor Odinson and Jane with Thor's powers is invalid, which flies in the face not only of my point, but of the whole idea of this forum having separate appreciation threads for these two characters. You are unable to deal with my point, so you've gone for a semantic cheat.

  14. #764
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,875

    Default

    Thor fans need to 100% avoid taht leaked footage and anything talking about it.

    In fact, I would get off practically everything if you are trying to avoid spoilers.

    This thead is gonna be wild in a couple weeks lol
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  15. #765
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    Thanks for the warning, MindofShadow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •