Page 60 of 216 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel the first Thor movie is pretty underrated as far as MCU solo films go.
    Agree.

It’s actually pretty dam clever because it largely turned the dynamic on its head. Every other origin movie is the hero getting powers and learning how to use them. Thor does it opposite - start with the powers then lose them and have to earn them back.

My only complaint was they nerfed the Destoyer something fierce. But other than that, it’s damn good.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Just re-watched the first Thor movie, it's pretty good, much better than I remember.

And damn was Odin good in it, wise king and good father, as he should be.

Also, I didn't know Strazcynski was behind the story.
    I personally think the casting of Anthony Hopkins as Odin was the best piece of MCU casting. When he whispers the iconic words of Mjolnir towards the end it is like watching a living comic

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Honestly, this statement makes absolutely no sense.
    All of my analytical background has come from reading cultural criticism in both theory form and academic criticism. There is a rigour to criticism that fan based critique seems to have little time for. The absolute base of all criticism has to stem from what is on the page, not what the reader would prefer to be there. The problem is this creates a bias. It prioritises the reader’s perspective over that of the work itself.

Imagining how one would have written a story is nothing whatsoever to do with the story, and ones perspective that would have produced that story is inevitably different to the creators that actually did. So to say “I would have done this” not only says nothing about the actual work, but it ignores the important question as to why the writer did what they did. It assumes the writer is in error.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    That seems to be your stumbling block. I can only draw conclusions based on the content of your posts, but you seem to think that because you enjoy it, if others don’t it must be because they lack your deep understanding and this is a problem you need to fix. But no matter how much you might like the taste of peanut butter ripple ice cream, there will always be people who would rather spend their money on a deferent flavour and get cranky when the company discontinues it for however long and sells nothing but peanut butter ripple.
    Suffice to say your perception of my stance is wrong, and this is a debate of content not of each other’s rhetorical stance.

Frankly, I get more irritated by people trying to explain my apparent ignorance of the deeper themes in the subject material than I do about a comic book story I have problems with.
    I have zero control over your irritation. I will endeavour not to accuse you of being ignorant. I don’t believe I ever have in the past. I used to apologise when you accused me of such things but you used that against me multiple times. So clearly I can’t win that argument. I would prefer to stick to debating the actual book.

I am pretty sure you don’t wish me to throw away all of my knowledge about Thor and all of my background, and just shout how great the current Thor book is.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-23-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    I personally think the casting of Anthony Hopkins as Odin was the best piece of MCU casting. When he whispers the iconic words of Mjolnir towards the end it is like watching a living comic
    He absolutely was inspired casting. The movie overall I can take or leave, but for me it’s not really the same Thor or the same Odin as in the books.

For me it seems clear that JMS was OK with writing different Thor’s for different projects, but it seemed that later Marvel changed their mind on this when Fraction was on the book. Preferring a downplayed Blake for example.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-23-2019 at 07:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    He absolutely was inspired casting. The movie overall I can take or leave, but for me it’s not really the same Thor or the same Odin as in the books.

For me it seems clear that JMS was OK with writing different Thor’s for different projects, but it seemed that later Marvel changed their mind on this when Fraction was on the book. Preferring a downplayed Blake for example.
    The ones on the movie are actually competent and likable, unlike their current 616 selves

Spectacular Member

The solicitations for July tell us, that War of the Realms isn't the finale or the final Thor story of Jason Aaron. Do you guys think, that this will be the finale of his run: civil-war-ii-thor-221447.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Serd View Post
    The solicitations for July tell us, that War of the Realms isn't the finale or the final Thor story of Jason Aaron. Do you guys think, that this will be the finale of his run: civil-war-ii-thor-221447.jpg
    Probably for the future storyline, if nothing else.

Although I do think it would be fitting for the last story of a major Thor run to be Thor vs. Loki since we haven't really had that in proper form in a long time.

Beware of movie spoilers. I can see a meme coming a mile off...

spoilers:
    Apparently the Odinson ends up a fatso.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably for the future storyline, if nothing else.

Although I do think it would be fitting for the last story of a major Thor run to be Thor vs. Loki since we haven't really had that in proper form in a long time.
    When was the last time we had that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    When was the last time we had that ?
    Not counting that fight with Jane and Loki...? I honestly couldn't say.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Beware of movie spoilers. I can see a meme coming a mile off...

spoilers:
    Apparently the Odinson ends up a fatso.
    end of spoilers
    thor is no Logan ready for his last hurrah so it kind of made sense that he turned fat in his depression most likely from uninhibited sense induligion .

BANNED

The MCU Thor is to substitute the MCU Volstagg's place as one of the all-new MCU Warriors Three!

BANNED

From the first Thor film I love the line: 'Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor!' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWmlWA_jb7w

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Thor #402 Apr 1989
    "Even an Asgardian Can Die"
    Quicksand and Mongoose agree to team up against Thor,

and Mongooses master is most interested in her;
    Sigurd Jarlson goes back to work for Jerry,

just in time to stop Brute from attacking him.

Script by Ron Frenz (Co-Plotter) and Tom DeFalco,
    pencils by Ron Frenz (layouts), inks by Joe Sinnott (finished art)