Page 62 of 216 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Clearly a three hour movie about averting an apocalyptic disaster needs some comic relief. There were moments where the Thor scenes just seemed to be there to provide this. But he is just so watchable. They played the Men In Black trailer before the movie and I wanted to watch it despite not really being a big fan of the franchise, just because he was good in it.
    I wouldn't say it needs it, but some levity is nice now and then .

As long as it's more Infinity War and less...I don't know, Age of Ultron? It needs to be balanced (as all things should be).

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Felt the movie as awhole was waaaaaaaaaaay more comedic than I expected. In a good way, as I like mcu humor
    It certainly got plenty of laughs. And gasps, and tears. I honestly think this is going to break all records based on the general excitement. Despite a loud “there are no post credit scenes” shout by a fan who clearly doesn’t rate audio stingers a large number of people just sat around excitedly discussing what they had just seen, which I have never seen happen inside the theatre screening before. Word of mouth is going to be pretty strong with this one.

It certainly got plenty of laughs. And gasps, and tears. I honestly think this is going to break all records based on the general excitement. Despite a loud “there are no post credit scenes” shout by a fan who clearly doesn’t rate audio stingers a large number of people just sat around excitedly discussing what they had just seen, which I have never seen happen inside the theatre screening before. Word of mouth is going to be pretty strong with this one.
    There aren't? That's good to know ahead of time .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah I got up and left, one of the few lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Yeah...
    spoilers:
    Just audio that sounds like Tony making his original armor in Iron Man 1.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

There is a subtle sound at the end. It’s a bit of a spoiler as to what it is. It’s a nice thing, but it’s not a scene, more part of the soundtrack. Some might want to hear it, but it’s nothing vital.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It is one of the stand-out performances. His final scene is comic timing personified. Some people will always be mad about something. Most won't.
    Absolutely, so good; I cannot believe how good his arc is. I cannot wait to talk about it once spoiler season is over

Ultimate Member

spoilers:

-I HATED the "running joke" with Thor.
    -Thor with the GOTG, cool. Hopefully he's in Vol 3. And Valkyrie as the badass bisexual warrior Queen of Asgard, also awesome.
    end of spoilers

Avengers (Fusion) vs Thanos (humor/parody) and Goose

spoilers:
    just got back from the theater.

I have to say, I'm disappointed.

the movie was good but I didn't like Thor at all.

I get the point of it but they went too overboard with it, him being a comedic relief.

I guess we will have Thor in GotG 3 unless they made up something stupid like he needed to be conveniently somewhere else.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-26-2019 at 04:45 PM.

So when are getting Lebowski Thor in the comics

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    I think that I hated that so much because it basically took Thor suffering from PTSD, and trying to drown his grief in booze and food, and decided that the best way to handle that was, a bunch of fat jokes. Really Marvel, really?
    end of spoilers

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    spoilers:
    just got back from the theater.

I have to say, I'm disappointed.

the movie was good but I didn't like Thor at all.

I get the point of it but they went too overboard with it, him being a comedic relief.

I guess we will have Thor in GotG 3 unless they made up something stupid like he needed to be conveniently somewhere else.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    So when are getting Lebowski Thor in the comics
    Soon, I think Thor's characterization will change to match the films just like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Just think about how The Guardians were pre MCU movies and look at them now, for fans of the old Abnett run they must be unrecognizable.

However, for old fans of Thor the class stories will always still be there

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Soon, I think Thor's characterization will change to match the films just like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Just think about how The Guardians were pre MCU movies and look at them now, for fans of the old Abnett run they must be unrecognizable.

However, for old fans of Thor the class stories will always still be there
    Eh...the Guardians were less of an established property and didn't even have a current ongoing book for a while before the movie was announced. They're not up to Thor's pedigree in my opinion.

I can't see a full-scale reboot like the Guardians got for movie synergy going over very well.

BANNED

The thing is, the idea of Thor suffering PTSD, him being fat, isolated, not recognizable as himself is a pretty damn good idea, even if that's not how 616 Thor would react, this is another version and I would be totally fine, because the idea itself is amazing, it allows for tons of character development and a journey for our hero, makes us sympathise with the character and understand just how much he suffers and how serious and world-changing is what Thanos did.

SPOILERS AHEAD !!

But the execution, man the execution was pretty bad, I wouldn't say they ruined Thor, he was very funny and I'm sure general audience won't mind and will find him cool, but that doesn't mean the execution of this idea was good, quite the contrary, what could have been an amazing character arc of self discovery, resilience and strength, turned into a comedic relief and fat jokes. I understand what the Russos were trying to do, at least I think they were trying to show the audience just how much he lost, but they went about it the wrong way, his loss and pain was turned into a joke, instead of making the audience sympathise and root for him, they made us laugh at his misery and in doing so, negated his character growth or at least hindered the impact of it in the eyes of the audience.

Just imagine if they had taken this same idea, a drunk, isolated, broken (hell, even fatty) Thor, and showed us the broken man (god) he is, no jokes, just show us how much he has lost and take him through the very same journey he went in the movie, because it was not bad at all, the journey and arc was fine IMO, and his scene with Frigga was absolutely great, well acted and heart warming, but the impact simply wasn't there because what we witnessed wasn't a broken Thor, we witnessed an ongoing joke about his weight.

Some of you mentioned that the comedic relief was needed on a movie like this where you're facing apocalypsis, but Thor is no character for that, he never has been, he never should be, if you want funny, you already have the characters for that in Ant-Man and Rocket, both are funny as hell, use THEM as the comedic relief.