Page 63 of 216 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    They really over did Thor's depression IMO.
    It's not like they never did a drunken warrior with a bit of dignity left. If they want to make Thor depressed, just switch his status with Ragnorak Valkyrie, make a paralell to that! But nope, Val got to be the ruler, and Thor don't even get to be the badass kind of alcoholic Val was in Ragnorak.
    The last part really made him look like a fun-seeking dude who escape his duty as king.
    I consider Stormbreaker to be the proof of King, the Lord of the Rings moment for him. But after all this, he is like nah, to hell with Asgard, space is fun, I wanna go to space.

If he was less of a joke during the movie, I would argue he did his part well and earned his little vacation. But no, even the "I am still worthy" part didn't help much.

The straws just broke the camel's back on this one.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Eh...the Guardians were less of an established property and didn't even have a current ongoing book for a while before the movie was announced. They're not up to Thor's pedigree in my opinion.

I can't see a full-scale reboot like the Guardians got for movie synergy going over very well.
    A full reboot is almost impossible, unlike the GOTG, Thor has an already established mythos for decades and has a large fanbase, unlike GOTG who even in the comic book bubble were very much unknown.

Also, comedic Thor only works because of Hemsworth's awesome charisma and comedic acting, it wouldn't work on paper.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Eh...the Guardians were less of an established property and didn't even have a current ongoing book for a while before the movie was announced. They're not up to Thor's pedigree in my opinion.

I can't see a full-scale reboot like the Guardians got for movie synergy going over very well.
    No one in the mainstream even knew of the MCU heroes until the MCU, Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor all played second fiddle to Spider-Man and The X-Men.

You can already see the change happening with Thor currently, him living on a barge, having a wacky talking dog sidekick, and Loki being exactly like the MCU version

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    No one in the mainstream even knew of the MCU heroes until the MCU, Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor all played second fiddle to Spider-Man and The X-Men.
    Even then they're still more prominent and have more history to them then the Guardians did by the point of the movie.
    You can already see the change happening with Thor currently, him living on a barge, having a wacky talking dog sidekick, and Loki being exactly like the MCU version
    None of which I view as a positive, personally .

I don't think current Loki is exactly like the MCU version.

Soon, I think Thor's characterization will change to match the films just like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Just think about how The Guardians were pre MCU movies and look at them now, for fans of the old Abnett run they must be unrecognizable.

However, for old fans of Thor the class stories will always still be there
    WoW that's a bad comfort my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    The thing is, the idea of Thor suffering PTSD, him being fat, isolated, not recognizable as himself is a pretty damn good idea, even if that's not how 616 Thor would react, this is another version and I would be totally fine, because the idea itself is amazing, it allows for tons of character development and a journey for our hero, makes us sympathise with the character and understand just how much he suffers and how serious and world-changing is what Thanos did.

SPOILERS AHEAD !!

But the execution, man the execution was pretty bad, I wouldn't say they ruined Thor, he was very funny and I'm sure general audience won't mind and will find him cool, but that doesn't mean the execution of this idea was good, quite the contrary, what could have been an amazing character arc of self discovery, resilience and strength, turned into a comedic relief and fat jokes. I understand what the Russos were trying to do, at least I think they were trying to show the audience just how much he lost, but they went about it the wrong way, his loss and pain was turned into a joke, instead of making the audience sympathise and root for him, they made us laugh at his misery and in doing so, negated his character growth or at least hindered the impact of it in the eyes of the audience.

Just imagine if they had taken this same idea, a drunk, isolated, broken (hell, even fatty) Thor, and showed us the broken man (god) he is, no jokes, just show us how much he has lost and take him through the very same journey he went in the movie, because it was not bad at all, the journey and arc was fine IMO, and his scene with Frigga was absolutely great, well acted and heart warming, but the impact simply wasn't there because what we witnessed wasn't a broken Thor, we witnessed an ongoing joke about his weight.

Some of you mentioned that the comedic relief was needed on a movie like this where you're facing apocalypsis, but Thor is no character for that, he never has been, he never should be, if you want funny, you already have the characters for that in Ant-Man and Rocket, both are funny as hell, use THEM as the comedic relief.
    amen to that brother.

it's my take on it as well.

how long will it take before Aaron makes him fat???

he is already a joke to begin with.

only his weight remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Some of you mentioned that the comedic relief was needed on a movie like this where you're facing apocalypsis, but Thor is no character for that, he never has been, he never should be, if you want funny, you already have the characters for that in Ant-Man and Rocket, both are funny as hell, use THEM as the comedic relief.
    Honestly, I think you may be lacking a sense of humour. There was nothing malicious or generalised about the portrayal. Nothing mean or nasty. Humour is of course very subjective, so if you didn’t find it funny then so be it, but you are being hypercritical here IMO.

Most of the humour was comedic timing on behalf of Hemsworth, not jokes about him. He played it in a very sympathetic manner with tons of pathos, and it felt very real, for me not the caricature you portray it as. I doubt the general audience will see it as anything other than a strength of the film.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-27-2019 at 12:44 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

amen to that brother.

only his weight remains.
    I feel like it is inevitable that the MCU will have strong influence on the comics. I think we tend to forget that nowadays, especially for Disney/Marvel, that the comics are turning into the advertising arm for the films.

Because let's face it, the movies are far more lucrative than the comics will ever be. I know for us as comic fans, this is blasphemy, because the movies would never had happened without the comics and their creators; but this is the age we live in now.

And because of that I don't think that we will ever get Simonson Thor, Straczynski Thor (my favorite of all time), or God Butcher Thor. We will only skew more and more towards the Unworthy Thor to current run Thor to MCU Thor.

Now this is not to say this is a bad thing, I think it can be done really well, I personally feel that Aaron is doing a great job by trying to balance Thor out and we will see if he sticks the landing.

I feel like it is inevitable that the MCU will have strong influence on the comics. I think we tend to forget that nowadays, especially for Disney/Marvel, that the comics are turning into the advertising arm for the films.

Because let's face it, the movies are far more lucrative than the comics will ever be. I know for us as comic fans, this is blasphemy, because the movies would never had happened without the comics and their creators; but this is the age we live in now.

And because of that I don't think that we will ever get Simonson Thor, Straczynski Thor (my favorite of all time), or God Butcher Thor. We will only skew more and more towards the Unworthy Thor to current run Thor to MCU Thor.

Now this is not to say this is a bad thing, I think it can be done really well, I personally feel that Aaron is doing a great job by trying to balance Thor out and we will see if he sticks the landing.
    ofc they are more lucrative.

and Aaron ain't doing a good job IMO.

obviously it's subjective but apparently some people think you can't have your own opinion because we must praise Aaron to high Heavens.

we might as well open a church for him.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-27-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

amen to that brother.

only his weight remains.
    when you put it like this......it won't be long before thor looks exactly like Aaron comic counterpart
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I don't think it's inevitable...it's already happened.
    I know the movies make more then the comics and are more important by this point, but that generally doesn't translate well to the comics know matter how much they chase synergy.

That honestly sounds pretty bad to me because I vastly prefer older Thor to his current incarnation and the movies.

Of all the things I can say about Aaron's writings, "balance" is definitely not one of them, leastway I feel his portrayals of certain characters would be a lot better if that were true.

There is a truism that there will be some synergy, lets face it Dauterman is very influenced by the movies in his character designs. But we cant really accuse Aaron of synergising. (If that is a word.)

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    Him being depressed, and drowning his grief in booze and food, isn't a bad idea in theory. Heck it could lead to some compelling character work potentially. Them treating it as one big joke and mocking him for being fat over and over, THAT is where it fell apart imo.

Even Ragnarok handled this better with Valkyrie and her PTSD fueled alcoholism. And yes, they got some funny moments out of it, but while still giving her some dignity.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Punisher007; 04-27-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    spoilers:
    Him being depressed, and drowning his grief in booze and food, isn't a bad idea in theory. Heck it could lead to some compelling character work potentially. Them treating it as one big joke and mocking him for being fat over and over, THAT is where it fell apart imo.

Even Ragnarok handled this better with Valkyrie and her PTSD fueled alcoholism. And yes, they got some funny moments out of it, but while still giving her some dignity.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Really? Mocking over and over? Not how I perceived it. However this wasn’t about dignity this was about how some handle PTSD, especially after having killed somebody in cold blood.
    end of spoilers

There is a spoiler thread in the media forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    There is a truism that there will be some synergy, lets face it Dauterman is very influenced by the movies in his character designs. But we cant really accuse Aaron of synergising. (If that is a word.)
    I think Dauterman's design for Thor is very inspired by Hemsworth with the beard and some visual looks.

Personally not my favorite Thor design, even as a fan of Datuerman as an artist, but to each their own.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I do think his avengers Thor is very much styled after MCU Thor

But that Thor is not the same as the Thor in his own book