Page 64 of 216 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't say it needs it, but some levity is nice now and then .

As long as it's more Infinity War and less...I don't know, Age of Ultron? It needs to be balanced (as all things should be).
    I wouldn't call it balanced... I'm pretty sure you won't call it balanced. I'd brace yourself for disappointment, that way if it's not as bad you were expecting it will be a nice surprise.

I tend to think MindofShadow summed it up pretty well when he said that "the joke" was funny but went on too long/went a little too far in places. Hemsworth is obviously having fun, however, and he does have fantastic comic timing.

(sorry for all the upcoming spoiler tags, read them after you've seen the film)

The final Thor scene, spoilers:
    though still going for the funny, does show genuine character growth with how he relates to Star Lord's territorial attitude, and I think it is written and played with great warmth and affection for the character,
    end of spoilers so I think it is lightyears ahead of how I feel Aaron handles the character, and I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

I was disappointed that spoilers:
    "the joke" didn't get resolved by the Balder/Karma desert time-warp walk of skinniness from Simonson Thor and Claremont New Mutants, and that Thor stayed fat till the end.
    end of spoilers I kept hoping for that resolution, but nope.

The bit that bugged me the most was something I'd been expecting/dreading since spoilers:
    Avengers:Age of Ultron - Cap picking up Mjolnir and getting the power of Thor. Hated it in the comics, hated it here. But I do have a huge chip on my shoulder about the favouritism shown Cap, even though I actually love Chris Evans' version of the character, and I really don't like the "power of Thor" thing, so this should come as a surprise to no one.
    end of spoilers

I'd be much more annoyed if I thought spoilers:
    that this was the last we'd see of Thor, but as he doesn't die at the end and Waititi has pitched a new Thor to Marvel, I suspect he'll get further development in at least one more film.
    end of spoilers

I enjoyed bits, but as a whole I didn't love it. I'll go back to it in a few years and see if my feeling have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    spoilers:
    that this was the last we'd see of Thor, but as he doesn't die at the end and Waititi has pitched a new Thor to Marvel, I suspect he'll get further development in at least one more film.
    end of spoilers
    that's not 100% confirmed though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Honestly, I think you may be lacking a sense of humour. There was nothing malicious or generalised about the portrayal. Nothing mean or nasty. Humour is of course very subjective, so if you didn’t find it funny then so be it, but you are being hypercritical here IMO.

Most of the humour was comedic timing on behalf of Hemsworth, not jokes about him. He played it in a very sympathetic manner with tons of pathos, and it felt very real, for me not the caricature you portray it as. I doubt the general audience will see it as anything other than a strength of the film.
    I think you're getting me wrong, I never said it wasn't funny, because it definitely was and I laughed, same as most of the audience, but once the thrill of the comedy goes away, that's just not how Thor should have been treated, I found the idea the Russos had excellent, but the execution was done wrong, instead of showing us how much Thor lost, they turned him into a joke and comedic relief, just stop for one second and imagine this very same arc, but instead of the constant jokes and self pitying, have the same Thor who talked to Rocket about loss during IW, man, I'd be the happiest MCU Thor fan on the face of the Earth if that had happened, and I'm sure many will agree with me.

As for your comment about general audience, you seem to always include a "consensus" without actually providing any data for that consensus, same with your defending of Aaron's writing and Jane, but that's beside the point, as for what we are discussing, I am sure general audience won't mind and will find him very funny, but by that same token and using consensus without any data, I am pretty sure general audience would have preferred to see the badass Thor we saw in IW, after all, pretty much everyone agreed he was the best part about Infinity War, and I can guarantee they won't be saying that about him on Endgame.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    I think you're getting me wrong, I never said it wasn't funny, because it definitely was and I laughed, same as most of the audience, but once the thrill of the comedy goes away, that's just not how Thor should have been treated, I found the idea the Russos had excellent, but the execution was done wrong, instead of showing us how much Thor lost, they turned him into a joke and comedic relief, just stop for one second and imagine this very same arc, but instead of the constant jokes and self pitying, have the same Thor who talked to Rocket about loss during IW, man, I'd be the happiest MCU Thor fan on the face of the Earth if that had happened, and I'm sure many will agree with me.

As for your comment about general audience, you seem to always include a "consensus" without actually providing any data for that consensus, same with your defending of Aaron's writing and Jane, but that's beside the point, as for what we are discussing, I am sure general audience won't mind and will find him very funny, but by that same token and using consensus without any data, I am pretty sure general audience would have preferred to see the badass Thor we saw in IW, after all, pretty much everyone agreed he was the best part about Infinity War, and I can guarantee they won't be saying that about him on Endgame.
    Agreed

Entertaining comedy wise

But not much more imo

IW was a fantastic showing, this was different by design I realize but it still left a sour taste for me in spite of a good idea at the root of it

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Spoilers abound.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I wouldn't call it balanced... I'm pretty sure you won't call it balanced. I'd brace yourself for disappointment, that way if it's not as bad you were expecting it will be a nice surprise.

I tend to think MindofShadow summed it up pretty well when he said that "the joke" was funny but went on too long/went a little too far in places. Hemsworth is obviously having fun, however, and he does have fantastic comic timing.
    spoilers:
    To me, the only scene that felt like it was a bit of overkill was when Thor was talking about the Reality Stone.
    end of spoilers

For those worried that this movie will influence the character, I wouldn't worry:

spoilers:

For starters, it was obviously a gag for the movie so I don't think anyone would go to the comics expecting this Thor. Second, while this probably isn't going to please everyone, it felt like their attempt at doing the Unworthy Thor story, just like they also referenced Secret Empire. There's no need for the comics to copy it because they already did it.
    end of spoilers

I was disappointed that spoilers:
    "the joke" didn't get resolved by the Balder/Karma desert time-warp walk of skinniness from Simonson Thor and Claremont New Mutants, and that Thor stayed fat till the end.
    end of spoilers I kept hoping for that resolution, but nope.
    Don't get me wrong, that would have been really cool. But I can't possibly find a place for it in the movie.

I'd be much more annoyed if I thought spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, I like that they left it open for a number of possibilities with the character. Of the original "three," he has the best potential to continue. Worst case scenario, Hemsworth might be happy to not have to work out so much in preparation for the role
    end of spoilers
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Some of you mentioned that the comedic relief was needed on a movie like this where you're facing apocalypsis,
    I don’t relish playing ‘he said I said’ but you were specifically referencing what I said. I have a right of reply. Unlike the categorical success of Aaron for which I have provided data points if you actually read my posts, my claim about the general audience was purely empirical, based on those I saw it with and the two audiences that reacted around me.

Also you are taking my points about Aaron’s success and reception out of context to make a rhetorical point. Ironically in order to attack my rhetorical stance. Why do that?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-27-2019 at 05:25 PM.

BANNED

Everyone I've talked to so far who's seen Endgame - from comic fans to general audience types - have said across the board that Thor was their favorite character in the movie so I'm gonna say the Russo's instincts on this were solid.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I do think his avengers Thor is very much styled after MCU Thor

But that Thor is not the same as the Thor in his own book
    Yes perhaps. But that’s for a less partial audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Everyone I've talked to so far who's seen Endgame - from comic fans to general audience types - have said across the board that Thor was their favorite character in the movie so I'm gonna say the Russo's instincts on this were solid.
    Only this evening I was at a party jovially chatting about the movie and Thor was the main recurring topic, and always positive. Not ‘wasn’t he a fool’, just how much they liked him in the movie.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I do think his avengers Thor is very much styled after MCU Thor

But that Thor is not the same as the Thor in his own book
    I thought he is written exactly the same, I mean are we forgetting the Hulk & Thor romance over mead?

Mighty Member

Only this evening I was at a party jovially chatting about the movie and Thor was the main recurring topic, and always positive. Not ‘wasn’t he a fool’, just how much they liked him in the movie.

Sort of very mild spoilers follow:

Thor in Endgame wasn't what I expected. I would be lying if I wouldn't admit that I cringed a couple of times, as they violated the image that I've always had of Thor in so many ways but in the end I think this makes the character even more likable and accessible to the general public/previous non fans. And this can only translate into more people wanting to see Thor's continuation in the MCU so a new solo movie and him moving with the Guardians of the Galaxy is almost a done deal! That last interaction with Starlord at the end was pure comedic gold!!! And from the entire old Avengers roster I think we Thor fans are the lucky ones that might get to keep seeing Thor in two movie franchises as we have been used to for the last decade. Hopefully 3 more solo movies and a continuation with As-Guardians of the Galaxy!! Hemsworth has said he is willing to play the character for as long as people want him so I expect this could translate into something comparable to Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine!

BANNED

I don’t relish playing ‘he said I said’ but you were specifically referencing what I said. I have a right of reply. Unlike the categorical success of Aaron for which I have provided data points if you actually read my posts, my claim about the general audience was purely empirical, based on those I saw it with and the two audiences that reacted around me.

Also you are taking my points about Aaron’s success and reception out of context to make a rhetorical point. Ironically in order to attack my rhetorical stance. Why do that?
    You weren't the only one who said it, which is why I didn't tag you, granted you were included, but it was a broad mention, not directed specifically at you.
    I'm not taking your stance on Aaron out of context, but right now we are discussing Endgame, and frankly I don't want to get into an Aaron/Jane discussion with you, our views couldn't be farther away and it will get us nowhere.

I'm more than happy to keep discussing what Thor went through on Endgame though, so feel free to adress my post about that.

BANNED

Really ? I somehow doubt that very much but I'll take your word guys, and honestly, I'm glad that's the case and I hope most of general audience likes Thor on Endgame.

Why? Well, because if general audience likes that, then it helps the growth, recognition and popularity of my favorite character, not in the way I would have liked, but one has to see the silver lining, there is more possibility to restore his character and becoming his true self, badass god of thunder we got on Ragnarok and Infinity War.

I have no idea how to do the spoiler box, so don't read below if you don't want to know very mild spoilers.
    >
    >
    >

People may not like how Thor was represented in the film (especially women, as all the women in my life were appalled they didn't get to see handsome hero Thor lol) but I did enjoy him, and I feel this was MCU's version of the "unworthy" Thor. Despite his appearance and condition, the strength of character, humour and warmth of Thor's personality still shine through and you cannot help but like him.

BANNED

Anyway, as for Thor's journey and what future we could see with him, I'd like to see this.

Have him hang out with the Guardians in their next movie, show that he has moved on, he is still depressed but no longer a joke or self pitying himself, he tries to find new purpose with them, kicks some ass in the process, and by the end of the movie he realizes he needs to be there for his people, and comes back to New Asgard.

Enter Thor 4, where we see his journey back into the mighty god he was in Ragnarok and IW.