Page 7 of 216 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Last edited by GodThor; 02-13-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Amazing Member

Minor spoilers in the solicitation for Asgardians of the Galaxy 9

https://www.newsarama.com/43872-valk...-galaxy-9.html

just read chapter #10.

eh iirc, Thor was born in a cave LoL not in Asgard.

Odin being drunk, self loathing, bully, getting beaten up like a fodder... yep, definitely Aaron's Odin.

Extraordinary Member

I didn't mind this issue. It worked well with Laufey and Loki and I think it affirmed that Odin, despite his flaws, actually loves his children. It's just rather unhealthy. It actually reminds me of Clay from Moral Orel...

Amazing Member

Yeah I was hoping for more of a redemptive issue, but in a way it did reveal a bit more about the all-father. If you look at his thoughts you can see that he is really guilty about everything...
    It's just a little frustrating to watch him be such an a-hole

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marge_23 View Post
    Yeah I was hoping for more of a redemptive issue, but in a way it did reveal a bit more about the all-father. If you look at his thoughts you can see that he is really guilty about everything...
    It's just a little frustrating to watch him be such an a-hole
    The redemption is coming, that's why he reached out to Tony. The first step in AA is admitting you have a problem, this was the issue where Odin finally realizes he was repeating Bor's mistakes.

Honestly, I have been loving Aaron's run; his version of the mythos is so fresh and I know a lot on this board vehemently disagree but Aaron really brought Thor out of obscurity. I think the last writer who had such a impact was Straczynski (before he was unceremoniously given the boot).

IMHO, the mythos had to change and grow and we all know everything will rubber band back after Aaron's run. Aaron's run will definitely stand out as one that was one of the most important alongside Slott's Spider-Man, Bendis' & Hickman's Avengers, and Brubaker's Captain America.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    The redemption is coming, that's why he reached out to Tony. The first step in AA is admitting you have a problem, this was the issue where Odin finally realizes he was repeating Bor's mistakes.

Honestly, I have been loving Aaron's run; his version of the mythos is so fresh and I know a lot on this board vehemently disagree but Aaron really brought Thor out of obscurity. I think the last writer who had such a impact was Straczynski (before he was unceremoniously given the boot).

IMHO, the mythos had to change and grow and we all know everything will rubber band back after Aaron's run. Aaron's run will definitely stand out as one that was one of the most important alongside Slott's Spider-Man, Bendis' & Hickman's Avengers, and Brubaker's Captain America.
    Aaron definitely didn't just ride the hype for the movies. He came in with ambition and a plan and went for it.

He's created a very grand and beautiful story that is grounded in this very relatable family drama between Odin and all of his children and his wife.

I really dislike what has become of thor and odin, these are not the characters I grew up with, crossing my fingers for a new ragnarok to come and wipe it all away
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

BANNED

Well regarding the last issue.

I have very mixed opinions about it.

Most of it is bad, pretty bad, but only due to the massive exaggerations Aaron writes, I mean, we all know that Thor has always tried to prove to his father that he is worthy of his love, always trying to make him feel proud, yet Odin has never really let Thor know that he is proud of him, and I think that's an interesting dynamic that a lot of people can relate to, trying to be worthy in your father's eyes, only to not be given that recognition and still try and try thinking one day you'll finally have it.

Like I said, that's been present in Thor stories since his creation, and I love that.

However, Aaron takes it to the extremes with Odin being a drunken ******* outright telling Thor he means nothing to him, that he's only something that came out of him and nothing more, and all around behaving like a man child, a very drunk man child constantly screaming for no reason and portrayed as an inept king who's never really done anything good in his life, and that's definitely not the Odin we know, this is a completely different Odin than the one we know and love, because as far as I'm aware, for longtime Thor readers, Odin has always been a fan favorite, but with this incarnation, I have yet to find someone that likes this awful portrayal of Odin.

This issue would have been good, scratch that, it would have been amazing and one for the ages without the massive exaggerations and fight to the dead, because Odin's thoughts/monologue were great and really heartfelt (barring some ridiculous lines alluring to him being drunk all of the time or not being a good king), I really felt his words, and it would have been nice to have that monologue without the fight to the dead and the drunken mentions and have the issue being about Odin just questioning how much of a father he has been and how he feels is not enough.

I can't say it enough, monologue was great, but aside from that, this portrayal of Odin (Aaron's) has been the worst I have ever read, and I can't wait for the day when Jason Aaron gets his hands as far away from Thor and anything Thor related, I am certain that some years from now, this run will be seen as one of the worst eras in Thor history.

Heck, a lot of people already hate it with a passion, I've seen more hate towards it than love, and it is well deserved because it has ruined and completely changed beyond recognition the Thor mythos and worldbuilding that readers loved.
    Last edited by Wall-Crawler; 02-13-2019 at 05:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

Agreed, this run is every bit as key as those others.

And yes, there's totally redemption coming for Odin. This issue set him on the path to admitting his problem and seeking help.

Aaron's Thor never disappoints for me but this was an especially strong and touching issue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    eh iirc, Thor was born in a cave LoL not in Asgard.
    And it would make sense he be born in a cave on Earth, considering who his mother actually is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    I can't say it enough, monologue was great, but aside from that, this portrayal of Odin (Aaron's) has been the worst I have ever read, and I can't wait for the day when Jason Aaron gets his hands as far away from Thor and anything Thor related, I am certain that some years from now, this run will be seen as one of the worst eras in Thor history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Heck, a lot of people already hate it with a passion, I've seen more hate towards it than love, and it is well deserved because it has ruined and completely changed beyond recognition the Thor mythos and worldbuilding that readers loved.
    Yes, people hate it so much that it's been one of the most successful Thor runs ever - a run that has sustained its popularity and critical acclaim over seven years. And it's going to lead in to a massive epic, pulling in the entirety of the MU, that will climax Aaron's run. What a failure!

Honestly, every run - no matter how popular - has its detractors (I'm sure there's people who think Ewing's Hulk run is ****, no matter how enthusiastically it's been received by most) but trying to dog Aaron's Thor run as anything other than the massive success that it is seems incredibly feeble and myopic.

I know for a fact that some fans were overjoyed when Dan Slott left ASM but, like it or not, his Spidey run was historic and defined the character for many fans. Aaron's Thor run is no less than that for Thor. It may not be your Thor but it is Thor for many others.

The cover is a lie and the story makes me wanna cry, but papa does have some pristine taste in alcohol counselors.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yes, people hate it so much that it's been one of the most successful Thor runs ever - a run that has sustained its popularity and critical acclaim over seven years. And it's going to lead in to a massive epic, pulling in the entirety of the MU, that will climax Aaron's run. What a failure!

Honestly, every run - no matter how popular - has its detractors (I'm sure there's people who think Ewing's Hulk run is ****, no matter how enthusiastically it's been received by most) but trying to dog Aaron's Thor run as anything other than the massive success that it is seems incredibly feeble and myopic.

I know for a fact that some fans were overjoyed when Dan Slott left ASM but, like it or not, his Spidey run was historic and defined the character for many fans. Aaron's Thor run is no less than that for Thor. It may not be your Thor but it is Thor for many others.
    Listen pal, some liked it and others didn, going around calling people myopic and feeble just because they dont praise this run seems a bit presumptuous...... had this been the first issue I read of thor as a child it would certenly also been the last, I can see this edgier stuff appealing to aldults loking for dark and controversial writing, but if they are going to survive comics need also to appeal to a younger audience.... don't have time to elaborate ...I just feel like ,When it comes to thor ,all sense of wonder and fun has been lost for a while noW.
    Last edited by Daedra; 02-13-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

Wow, has it really been seven years? Man, it's been fun, though. Aaron has given it his all, you can't deny that.

I liked this issue. Odin has never been fathere of the year to his kids. Thor was always his favorite and he was never exactly nice to him. I mean, Loki was his SECOND favorite. I'm pretty sure he'd pick Loki over Baldur. And why? I don't know, the guy was just never that good of a father.

Is this exaggerated? Sure, but it isn't far from what we've had for decades.

And I liked the contrast between Thor and Odin and Laufey and Loki. I liked how the Odinson family feels like a real, if very unhealthy and dysfunctional, family.