Page 75 of 216 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 3234

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    In the case of both the comics and movies, alcoholism is a way many, many people deal with trauma. Thor in the comics doesn't suffer the same sort of trauma movie Thor does.
    as a fan of norse mythology and asgardian gods/lore in general I feel unable to appreciate any story about alcoholism, I just don't believe this is the right setting to preach about this "problem".
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    as a fan of norse mythology and asgardian gods/lore in general I feel unable to appreciate any story about alcoholism, I just don't believe this is the right setting to preach about this "problem".
    But alcoholism is a problem. Why should we use Norse myth to examine it? It's asking us to evaluate how this hyper masculine world handles trauma and how alcoholism is one way they do it, seemingly because it helps them become numb to their problems and not have to confront those traumas.

It's asking us to evaluate how this hyper masculine world handles trauma and how alcoholism is one way they do it, seemingly because it helps them become numb to their problems and not have to confront those traumas.
    I was unaware of the fact that women are unable to get excessively drunk and therefore unable to drown their problems in alcohol....... as for the rest I'm pretty confident these century old gods have learned to deal with trauma their own way by now, humans are a very different animal
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

I was unaware of the fact that women are unable to get excessively drunk and therefore unable to drown their problems in alcohol....... as for the rest I'm pretty confident these century old gods have learned to deal with trauma their own way by now, humans are a very different animal
    I think Aaron and many others have made a point that they haven't. And while there are plenty of alcoholic women, men are more likely to be alcoholics.

I could live with a whole year of Thor comics where "mead" is never once mentioned.

I think Aaron and many others have made a point that they haven't. And while there are plenty of alcoholic women, men are more likely to be alcoholics.
    and yet this has nothing to do with Norse Gods .......

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I could live with a whole year of Thor comics where "mead" is never once mentioned.
    Did the Norse even drink mead? Or maybe it's a greek thing, cause hercules and wonder woman have talked about mead too, or maybe its a "gods wouldn't drink regular beer, they'd all drink mead" lazy writer thing.

Extraordinary Member

Isn't mead just sort of a thing they use because it's recognizable? And it says online that Vikings did drink plenty of mead, which is just fermented fruit and honey.

Mighty Member

and yet this has nothing to do with Norse Gods .......
    How many stories about gods are really about gods? Aren't many of them ultimately another way of looking at humanity and human issues/ questions/etc? There's a reason many gods represent human traits/ideas/ideals imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    How many stories about gods are really about gods? Aren't many of them ultimately another way of looking at humanity and human issues/ questions/etc? There's a reason many gods represent human traits/ideas/ideals imo.
    I think it really depends on the writer.

Sometimes they emphasize how much the gods are biblical beings beyond human comprehension, sometimes they're as human as we are, other times it's a balance between the two (which I think fits Thor best).

Of course I think most people don't talk about mead every five minutes...

Mighty Member

I think it really depends on the writer.

Sometimes they emphasize how much the gods are biblical beings beyond human comprehension, sometimes they're as human as we are, other times it's a balance between the two (which I think fits Thor best).

Of course I think most people don't talk about mead every five minutes...
    I agree... it certainly depends on the writer, and there are many examples of all three kinds of stories. I'd say that the majority of them are of the kind I described but there are certainly plenty of the kinds you listed as well. In two of the cases the gods are basically stand ins for humans, where you could have a human take the place of the god and the main theme of the story would remain unchanged. The person would have to wear a costume instead of morphing into a swan or whatever, but the lesson would stay the same.

I like Ragnarok/current Aaron Odinson, but I can see why some don't. I find him much more entertaining than old school Odinson but I think it's partly because I have read so many stories with him in super serious angsty mode that I like the change. If he had been more lighthearted for fifty years and then switched to more serious I might like his serious side for a change.

Precisely. Indeed this is what Marvel have always done with Thor. Ignoring the earliest Tales of Asgard stories and a few minis Thor comics are not Norse Myth and have never pretended to be. They play with the myths, they weave them into stories that are relevant to our times.

I like Ragnarok/current Aaron Odinson, but I can see why some don't. I find him much more entertaining than old school Odinson but I think it's partly because I have read so many stories with him in super serious angsty mode that I like the change. If he had been more lighthearted for fifty years and then switched to more serious I might like his serious side for a change.
    I dunno. Simonson or classic Thor was jovial but serious when appropriate, but now he just seems a tad too crass, boorish, and clownish for my tastes.

Too me the current attempt at "lightheartedness" comes more at his expense then anything else.

Mighty Member

I dunno. Simonson or classic Thor was jovial but serious when appropriate, but now he just seems a tad too crass, boorish, and clownish for my tastes.

Too me the current attempt at "lightheartedness" comes more at his expense then anything else.
    I hear ya. I probably wouldn't want this take to last forever. It seems fitting for this part of the long journey he's on under Aaron, but it wouldn't have at the beginning and middle. Whoever takes over next will likely settle somewhere closer to his old style, although the success of Ragnarok probably means he'll resemble that interpretation to some extent for a while.

I hear ya. I probably wouldn't want this take to last forever. It seems fitting for this part of the long journey he's on under Aaron, but it wouldn't have at the beginning and middle. Whoever takes over next will likely settle somewhere closer to his old style, although the success of Ragnarok probably means he'll resemble that interpretation to some extent for a while.
    It feels appropriate if only because it seems to make Thor, I guess, more of the kind of character Aaron is used to writing. Jane was kind of an outlier in that regard.

I think Thor's characterization post-Aaron will probably depend a lot on the writer.