Page 76 of 216 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 3234
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It feels appropriate if only because it seems to make Thor, I guess, more of the kind of character Aaron is used to writing. Jane was kind of an outlier in that regard.

I think Thor's characterization post-Aaron will probably depend a lot on the writer.
    Aaron is interesting because if you only read, say, Wolverine and the X Men and the current Thor volume you'd get one distinct impression, but if you read Southern Bastards and Men of Wrath you'd get a very different one. He has a wide range of voices, but this current Odinson portrayal definitely falls under the specific tone/character type you're referencing.

Jane is an outlier in that she's more serious?

No doubt the writer will have a huge say, but I also don't doubt that Marvel editors could "suggest" a tone that is in line with the Ragnarok/MCU version.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Aaron is interesting because if you only read, say, Wolverine and the X Men and the current Thor volume you'd get one distinct impression, but if you read Southern Bastards and Men of Wrath you'd get a very different one. He has a wide range of voices, but this current Odinson portrayal definitely falls under the specific tone/character type you're referencing.
    I haven't read any of Aaron's non-Marvel work so I'm basing it purely off his Marvel stuff.
    Jane is an outlier in that she's more serious?
    Maybe not that but more what I was getting at with old Thor. Purely heroic, noble, and charismatic.
    No doubt the writer will have a huge say, but I also don't doubt that Marvel editors could "suggest" a tone that is in line with the Ragnarok/MCU version.
    That wouldn't surprise me, but also not something I think Aaron, with his pull, would have had to worry about.

Mighty Member

I haven't read any of Aaron's non-Marvel work so I'm basing it purely off his Marvel stuff.

Maybe not that but more what I was getting at with old Thor. Purely heroic, noble, and charismatic.

That wouldn't surprise me, but also not something I think Aaron, with his pull, would have had to worry about.
    Gotcha. I'd put Ghost Rider, Punisher and Dr. Strange in the indie slots then. I think the idea still holds up. It's true that Punisher and Ghost Rider almost demand a more serious take, granted. I'd have to think about his other Marvel stuff that would fit there.

I can definitely see the comparison between Jane and Odinson. I'm wondering if the new series/status quo for Jane will have her somewhere in the middle. There isn't going to be a Ragnarok or War of Realms or cancer going on so maybe we'll get a different tone. Ewing also skews more towards comic booky (in a good way) ((except for Immortal Hulk)) characterizations so we'll see.

I really wonder... There's no way to know how much influence the higher ups have on the writers but I really wish I knew because I am super curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Gotcha. I'd put Ghost Rider, Punisher and Dr. Strange in the indie slots then. I think the idea still holds up. It's true that Punisher and Ghost Rider almost demand a more serious take, granted. I'd have to think about his other Marvel stuff that would fit there.
    I think his Dr. Strange has some of the same problems as his Thor, to be honest.
    I can definitely see the comparison between Jane and Odinson. I'm wondering if the new series/status quo for Jane will have her somewhere in the middle. There isn't going to be a Ragnarok or War of Realms or cancer going on so maybe we'll get a different tone. Ewing also skews more towards comic booky (in a good way) ((except for Immortal Hulk)) characterizations so we'll see.
    It'll be interesting to see what they do with it. I would appreciate it if Ewing gave Jane more flaws or character conflicts now that she's cancer-free and not Thor anymore, but with Aaron involved I'm not sure if that will be the plan.

I do suspect this is one of the things that potentially divides audiences. For me the intersection of Aaron with Thor was one of the most exciting things in Marvel Now. I was in the process of discovering Aaron, having read his W&X work and realising this wasn’t the average Marvel writer.

Reading his wider work has provided a fascinating perspective on his approach. It isn’t necessary, but it does give an insight into his themes and preoccupations. For example, his The Goddamned gives us a possible insight into what he might actually do with Wolverine if he had a total free hand. Southern Bastards gives us a clearer picture as to how he approaches the psychology of villains.

From that wider reading his earnestness and conscientiousness shine through. Overall his competency with the craft gives me the impression that he can be trusted. Sometimes I think trust is the thing that is hardest earned with fans. Trust or lack of it provokes different answers to the question ‘why is this being written this way’.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-08-2019 at 01:17 AM.

I want Nerf to make a foam replica of Stormbreaker. I need to whack my children with that thing! Lovingly, of course, there's no abuse here.

We have other Nerf weapons; maces and swords and shields, but I very much want a big, adult-sized Stormbreaker to add to the collection.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I did not like that take...do it again and make me believe it or else....

But seriously...I would think the Avengers Compound would have a better grill than that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I do suspect this is one of the things that potentially divides audiences. For me the intersection of Aaron with Thor was one of the most exciting things in Marvel Now. I was in the process of discovering Aaron, having read his W&X work and realising this wasn’t the average Marvel writer.
    I was actually big into Aaron's Thor during the Marvel Now era. Didn't care as much for his Wolverine and the X-Men.
    From that wider reading his earnestness and conscientiousness shine through. Overall his competency with the craft gives me the impression that he can be trusted. Sometimes I think trust is the thing that is hardest earned with fans. Trust or lack of it provokes different answers to the question ‘why is this being written this way’.
    I think there are different levels of trust depending on the reader.

Like, you trust Aaron more because you enjoy his stories, writing style, and approach to the mythos, but those who aren't would be less inclined to have faith in his handling of Thor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    But seriously...I would think the Avengers Compound would have a better grill than that.
    Avengers Compound is my least favorite Avengers Headquarters...

Extraordinary Member

Am I the only one who liked Wolverine and the X-Men? Sure, it wasn't very consequential, but it was a cute book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Am I the only one who liked Wolverine and the X-Men? Sure, it wasn't very consequential, but it was a cute book.
    I liked the first arc and issue 17 is a blast, but besides and a couple of moments in later issues, i found it pretty boring most of the time.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I liked the first arc and issue 17 is a blast, but besides and a couple of moments in later issues, i found it pretty boring most of the time.
    First arc was great. Got derailed by AvX big time and then turned into Saturday morning cartoons.

LOVED God of Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I mean...for what it it was, which was basically a cartoon X-Men book, it was fine, just not what I was expecting.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I want Nerf to make a foam replica of Stormbreaker. I need to whack my children with that thing! Lovingly, of course, there's no abuse here.

We have other Nerf weapons; maces and swords and shields, but I very much want a big, adult-sized Stormbreaker to add to the collection.
    Dude, I just bought one for cosplay on ebay. It was like 40 bucks, however, it definitely is not that big

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I mean...for what it it was, which was basically a cartoon X-Men book, it was fine, just not what I was expecting.
    Yeah very low stakes, it was a bubbly adventure book