Page 86 of 216 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 3234
    Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    To be fair, it wasn't like Waid could go against the sheer stupidity of Secret Empire.

Blame Spencer for writing it, and Aaron for allowing it first
    Oh, I blame everyone involved. Which is why I don't want any of them touching Thor again.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelJean View Post
    What do you think Thor will find in this preview of War of the Realms #5?

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR190720
    LoL seed and Jarnbjorn above Mjolnir.

Thor will probably get burned again by the Sun.

also, Angels are above Norse Gods LoL.

Asgardians are so trash this days.
    Last edited by GodThor; 05-29-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably not, but I won't argue with the results whether he intended it or not .

Newer voices are fine but I'm at a point where I'd rather have a writer I can better trust or have faith in as far as Thor and his mythos is concerned.

I guess I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't worried a newer writer would be more prone to just continuing with Aaron's interpretations instead of doing something different.
    I see where you're coming from as far as trusting someone like Waid. I don't think I've really disliked anything he's done but I haven't really loved anything recently either. I think I'm at a place where I'd rather give someone a shot who might be amazing but I also might not like than reading someone I know will be ok. I'll take a chance at amazing over a certainty of fine. Waid, Jurgens, Abnett, Lobdell, Tomasi, Robinson, David... they've all had their time and I think they're just blocking other writers from getting opportunities at this point.

But I've really liked Aaron's run so I don't have the same concern for a writer continuing his version/storylines. Maybe you're at a place where you value stability and a "first, do no harm" kind of vibe. I can understand that. But I'm curious why you think a newer writer would be more likely to continue Aaron's interpretation? I'd think the fresh voices are ready to make a mark and tell their own stories rather than a continuation? Or you're saying one of the old guard would be more likely to return Odinson to an older status quo?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I think Saladin Ahmed might do a good job on Thor. I really liked his Black Bolt run, and I haven't heard anything bad about his run on Miles Morales or Ms. Marvel so far.
    I'll definitely second this. His "Abbot" is really good too, check it out if you get a chance. He's a very different writer (and from what little I know, person) than Aaron so it would be cool to go in another direction than where we've been for a while now. And "different than Aaron" would definitely make some regular posters here happy at least so it has that going for it, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I see where you're coming from as far as trusting someone like Waid. I don't think I've really disliked anything he's done but I haven't really loved anything recently either. I think I'm at a place where I'd rather give someone a shot who might be amazing but I also might not like than reading someone I know will be ok. I'll take a chance at amazing over a certainty of fine. Waid, Jurgens, Abnett, Lobdell, Tomasi, Robinson, David... they've all had their time and I think they're just blocking other writers from getting opportunities at this point.
    Me, personally, I genuinely love Waid's work. I think he would be really fun and cool on Thor .
    But I've really liked Aaron's run so I don't have the same concern for a writer continuing his version/storylines. Maybe you're at a place where you value stability and a "first, do no harm" kind of vibe. I can understand that. But I'm curious why you think a newer writer would be more likely to continue Aaron's interpretation? I'd think the fresh voices are ready to make a mark and tell their own stories rather than a continuation? Or you're saying one of the old guard would be more likely to return Odinson to an older status quo?
    Basically I think newer writers would probably continue what Aaron's doing because that's been the predominant "voice" on Thor for the past few years and is what probably quite a few people have been exposed to. Might be a newer writer is more concerned with building off of that then would be interested in Thor's previous history or what he was like before Aaron.

But it probably depends on the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    LoL seed and Jranbjorn above Mjolnir.

Thor will probably get burned again by the Sun.

also, Angels are above Norse Gods LoL.

Asgardians are so trash this days.
    Is Aaron really going to rehash the "Thor hangs on a tree to get a power up" plot

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Considering the last time Waid wrote Thor he had him slaughter innocent aliens and ignore one of his teammates being possessed by his evil uncle Chthon, I hope he stays far away from Thor in the future.
    In a very well written story that made a valid and excellent point which matched the wider event’s theme of corruption through manipulation of information. This somehow became misinterpreted by Thor fans despite not being particularly controversial.

Waid’s strength IMO is this kind of short and pointed story, but as often is the case amongst fandom, strengths are turned into things to criticise.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Reading the early issues I'm really liking the Tales of Asgard section, so you get a present day Thor story then a story into Thor's or Asgard's past. I'm curious, having not read the current comics recently I know that TOA isn't around obviously, but is the structure still the same? I mean having a flashback story in addition to the main story. Or is it more like having a flashback but it affects the plot of the main story.
    The ToA stories are an important influence towards how Thor came to be written, but in general they are not considered canonical. Later retellings contradict that material and more recent flashback material is carving out a new backstory.

I agree however that they are very good. Indeed the fact that they were such fun and so popular was what provoked the change in direction for Thor comics towards a more adventurous and fantastic style.

For more context this article is an interesting read.
    http://sequart.org/magazine/30252/ho...ed-everything/

ToA also heavily influenced Kirby’s New Gods.
    https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-444/
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-29-2019 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    Is Aaron really going to rehash the "Thor hangs on a tree to get a power up" plot
    I wouldn't be surprised.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    In a very well written story that made a valid and excellent point which matched the wider event’s theme of corruption through manipulation of information. This somehow became misinterpreted by Thor fans despite not being particularly controversial.

Waid’s strength IMO is this kind of short and pointed story, but as often is the case amongst fandom, strengths are turned into things to criticise.
    That's all dependent on if you see something as a strength or not I suppose

Opinions will always vary

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Cull you son of a Bor, I cannot believe you made me love you!

shoudn't they announce a new writer already???

let's bring back Dan Jurgens.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I thought it was a fine issue but it just misused Thor like he was throughout the entirety of the Secret Empire event.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    That's all dependent on if you see something as a strength or not I suppose

Opinions will always vary
    The competence of a writer is pretty easy to assess regardless of tastes. Waid’s competence as a ‘done in one issue’ writer is pretty evident, and that specific skill is relatively rare in modern comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought it was a fine issue but it just misused Thor like he was throughout the entirety of the Secret Empire event.

I don’t see how it is misusing a character to have them lied to and act against their nature. It is pretty much a staple of early Thor that he would be lied to, manipulated or seduced. Surely a character who is manipulated into doing something wrong by being lied to and told it is the correct thing to do is an interesting story?