Page 92 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 3234
    Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    speaking of Greek Gods, what did they become anyway???

I'll die out of laughter if they became some Cosmic Entities.
    I guess this image alone speaks volumes...Hopefully the Asgardians will become that impressive again.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I guess this image alone speaks volumes...Hopefully the Asgardians will become that impressive again.

Hm yeah I saw this.

Under Aaron they will only get emasculated.

Norse pantheon is the most incompetent pantheon in Marvel multiverse.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

What is this from?

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Hm yeah I saw this.

Under Aaron they will only get emasculated.

Norse pantheon is the most incompetent pantheon in Marvel multiverse.
    Let’s not worry too much...Thor can drink more mead than anyone else...no doubt that will prove useful some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wish Sif did more .

Aaron also seems to like writing characters who drink a lot, which is probably one of the reasons we can't go one issue without "mead" getting mentioned at least once.
    I have friends that used to be Viking reenacters. They talk about mead a lot too. An awful lot in fact. They are not alcoholics.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Let’s not worry too much...Thor can drink more mead than anyone else...no doubt that will prove useful some day.
    I am pretty sure it has come in handy a couple of times. Do people complain about Wolverine being an alcoholic? I know there is conflicting canonicity over whether it effects him, but he often drinks for bad reasons.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-04-2019 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    CBR vs JKTheMac
    That’s partly why I am here

I also like talking about new books, but someone balancing out the negativity over those new books is at least a voice that needs hearing on these forums. As a loooong time Thor fan it is at least a counterpoint to the long term fans who moan about anything published since the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    You do understand that you guys don't have a monopoly on how words are defined, yes?
    It was you who turned it into something about America. As I was pointing out this is a modern term coined in the last decade, specifically about social media. It has been misused by lots of people for all sorts of things. They need to read the definition. Like how they get people to ‘use it in a sentence’ at school.

I was challenging your usage because it made no sense based on the established definition. You were clearly talking about something else, and without using it in the standard way I have no way of understanding what you were trying to say. That’s how technical terms work, by being specific and not generalised or twisted out of context.* Which brings me to the next point.

By strange and unrecognizable, you mean virtually every flashback to young Thor?

Thor:Gates of Valhalla. And again, it's Thor only doing good to lift the hammer, not to do good because it is good.
    So let me clarify what I think you are saying. The sequence in that issue where Thor is trying to lift the hammer after battling Trolls represents young Thor misunderstanding worthiness in a manner akin to the ancient philosophical concepts of true and false virtue? I can’t disagree with that. What is your wider point?

It is worth pointing out that what Aaron is showing there is a modern interpretation of the early and rapidly abandoned framing sequence that Kirby used in Tales of Asgard. Something that used to have dubious canonicity because it is not particularly logical, and because the inscription didn’t exist then. Aaron has embraced this because its philosophical problems work well with this story, and he has been retrofitting how it might have worked without an enchantment. I expect it to be more fully explained in the very next issue of Thor.

*Virtue Signalling has become so twisted out of its context I wonder if it should just be dumped as a phrase. Nobody using it today seems to have any idea what it means and it is almost universally used as a way of criticising people that write about progressive or liberal views. That was never its intended usage. It was supposed to describe a specific manner by which people expressed their views.

For context I was Virtue Signalling in the post just above this one when I said I had been a Loooong term Thor fan. We all do it to some extent, but we should be conscious that it isn’t a very solid rhetorical stance. For instance who really cares how long I have been reading Thor? Reading Thor is virtuous though.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-04-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Okay, I have a short break at work, so hopefully I can put this out there in time. I've been thinking about Jane-Thor a lot lately, because I love the idea of her, I love her design, but the execution left a lot to be desired. I mean the fact that we have to call her Jane-Thor in the first place is part of the bad execution. I don't dabble in fan fiction, but if I did, I would do them differently, in a way that won't please everyone, but will anger and alienate less people so away I go.

The first thing I'd do is have Jane reveal herself to Thor at the end of the first arc. She gets the hammer, she wails on some frost giants or trolls, mooks, a first world boss, something like that. Then she tries to give thor mjonir back, saying that she doesn't want the power, the responsibility, she doesn't even know what possessed her to pick it up, it's too heavy, she tells thor to take it back, but he can't, saying that he isn't worthy anymore, and she is, that she shouldn't try to be him, but rather herself. He puts his hand on her shoulder and tells her that it'll be alright, 'cause thor, being the compassionate guy he is, would see that helping Jane is more important than drowning in self pity and alcohol. While Im at it, no mead, Thor's going to join Hercules in sobriety.

So Thor and uh, lets call her Thunderstrike, would have an interesting mentor/mentee realationship, which you don't see very often between men and women. Jane would gain more confidence in herself, learning that being a hero is great, and thor would relearn that he relied on mjonir too much, that he never really needed it, which is what aaron tried to do in the Unworthy Thor mini, but again, bad execution, he still feels sorry for himself, he still calls himself the unworthy thor, he just cuts his hair and puts a shirt on.

I still have to hammer out (ha!) what to do with odin, gorr, and sif, but that's what I have so far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Okay, I have a short break at work, so hopefully I can put this out there in time. I've been thinking about Jane-Thor a lot lately, because I love the idea of her, I love her design, but the execution left a lot to be desired. I mean the fact that we have to call her Jane-Thor in the first place is part of the bad execution. I don't dabble in fan fiction, but if I did, I would do them differently, in a way that won't please everyone, but will anger and alienate less people so away I go.

The first thing I'd do is have Jane reveal herself to Thor at the end of the first arc. She gets the hammer, she wails on some frost giants or trolls, mooks, a first world boss, something like that. Then she tries to give thor mjonir back, saying that she doesn't want the power, the responsibility, she doesn't even know what possessed her to pick it up, it's too heavy, she tells thor to take it back, but he can't, saying that he isn't worthy anymore, and she is, that she shouldn't try to be him, but rather herself. He puts his hand on her shoulder and tells her that it'll be alright, 'cause thor, being the compassionate guy he is, would see that helping Jane is more important than drowning in self pity and alcohol. While Im at it, no mead, Thor's going to join Hercules in sobriety.

So Thor and uh, lets call her Thunderstrike, would have an interesting mentor/mentee realationship, which you don't see very often between men and women. Jane would gain more confidence in herself, learning that being a hero is great, and thor would relearn that he relied on mjonir too much, that he never really needed it, which is what aaron tried to do in the Unworthy Thor mini, but again, bad execution, he still feels sorry for himself, he still calls himself the unworthy thor, he just cuts his hair and puts a shirt on.

I still have to hammer out (ha!) what to do with odin, gorr, and sif, but that's what I have so far.
    this does seem like the obvious route the storyline should have taken but it was not to be as Aaron had to write a thor wallowing in the dregs as being the only way for thor to deal with his unworthiness. Hell he could have been shown to be taking epic quests to rediscover his worthiness or just be touring the nine worlds saving people whenever he can to assuage his feelings of being not worthy but Aaron was more interested in writing as a broken character who has lost faith both in himself and the whole universal Pantheons of God's.

I appreciate what you are saying here but nothing would have changed. Those that didn't like it would still have been upset. Look at Ironheart. That's what they did with her. She was being mentored by the Tony AI but some people just didn't want to see it. They still said "she should have earned it" even as she was earning it, and despite the fact that she wasn't called Iron Man. It was enough for the detractors that the main protagonist was not Iron Man and they moaned to high heaven.

Indeed this is almost how it went down in Thor right up to the part where Thor handed over his name. At that point we are supposed to take the hint. She is Thor. That's kind of a problem right there because you say "the fact that we have to call her Jane-Thor." We absolutely don't have to call her that. I called her Thor during the run because that was her name, and many used diminutives because they were looking to diminish her. Now I tend to call her Jane as Thor, because she was Thor. She wasn't play acting. She wasn't just wielding a hammer and using his powers. She was transforming into Thor Goddess of Thunder.

The thing is, it isn't a particularity useful line to take to say "This is what I would have done". It is very common these days but slowly people are beginning to realise it is not very valuable as a discussion point. I mean it tells us what you would have done and that's fine, but it isn't what the book was, it's not a critique and it's not something you actually did. You just mused about it. That book doesn't exist so we can't truly say if it was any good. It might have been great but it's not the same story. It wouldn't have the same resonances, it wouldn't mean the same thing, and more importantly the huge numbers of people that bought this book might not have bought it.

In summary not everyone thinks the book needs fixing. Indeed judging by its success hardly anyone thinks that.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-04-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

WAR OF THE REALMS #5's Last Page Will 'Put a Big Smile on the Faces of A Lot of THOR Fans' Says EDITOR

Nrama: You read my mind. Lastly, any teases you can give fans to what's to come? I know you can only say so much....

Moss: I'll just say this: I think the last page of War of the Realms #5 is going to put a big smile on the faces of a lot of Thor fans - just in time for Jason, Russell and Matt to melt those faces off with the craziest final battle you've ever seen in War of the Realms #6!!!

https://www.newsarama.com/45441-war-...ys-editor.html

I gotta say they have my attention now.

I have no doubt Thor can outdrink anyone under the table, I just wish he could go 10 issues without mentioning mead .

(Seriously, you could probably make a drinking game out of characters saying the word "mead" in Aaron's Thor run and be plastered by the fifth issue).
    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I have friends that used to be Viking reenacters. They talk about mead a lot too. An awful lot in fact. They are not alcoholics.
    Call me old-fashioned but I'd prefer my Asgardians to comport themselves to a higher standard then vikings.
    I am pretty sure it has come in handy a couple of times. Do people complain about Wolverine being an alcoholic? I know there is conflicting canonicity over whether it effects him, but he often drinks for bad reasons.
    Wolverine and Thor are completely different characters.

I don't expect Thor to treat women like Tony does or be patriotic like Captain America does. He's his own character.

I definitely think there were better ways to go about the Jane/Thor dynamic.

Like, I don't think Thor should have been around while Jane was Thor. We had that silly period where he was an "Unworthy" shell of himself who wouldn't even use his own name and everyone accordingly just agrees to call Jane "Thor" like it's natural. I get that from a storytelling perspective but it should've been more layered then that in my opinion.

Frankly, I would have just taken Thor off the board. He didn't do a lot of good or accomplish anything of note in his Unworthy state and without him around it would have been a very different dynamic with Jane as Thor in my opinion because then she would really be living up to his legacy instead of, basically, taking it over.

I also think Jane should have struggled more with being a Thor, but that might have impacted the appeal of the book if she wasn't this one-woman army knocking down the patriarchy and villains left-and-right with a swing of her hammer.
    WAR OF THE REALMS #5's Last Page Will 'Put a Big Smile on the Faces of A Lot of THOR Fans' Says EDITOR

Nrama: You read my mind. Lastly, any teases you can give fans to what's to come? I know you can only say so much....

Moss: I'll just say this: I think the last page of War of the Realms #5 is going to put a big smile on the faces of a lot of Thor fans - just in time for Jason, Russell and Matt to melt those faces off with the craziest final battle you've ever seen in War of the Realms #6!!!

https://www.newsarama.com/45441-war-...ys-editor.html

I gotta say they have my attention now.
    I guess the question is "which Thor fans?"

Ordinarily I would assume it's Jane becoming Thor again or getting Mjolnir back, and it doesn't sound like Thor gets Mjolnir back in the post-WoTR issues, so I'm not sure what would make fans happy.

Thor, Odin, and family having a goofy family moment?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I gave an entire blow by blow rundown of every Mangog appearance after rereading and analysing all of those appearances, many months ago on these forums, when I was speculating how he would be used by Aaron. I don't need to read a bio that will inevitably not represent what actually happened in the books.

Odin was scared and he sent Thor away expecting to die himself.

Spoilers for a 47 year old comic twist in Thor #197:

Attachment 83021
    I can get with the scared bit, but cowardly, Odin, not really I don't think

As for mangog generally, I find it interesting that Odin can go head on with Galactus, or dormammu, or mephisto, or set, yet this being gives him so much headache (which clearly he does)

I mean I get it's a sort of anti god, but still, he's faced things with much, much bigger feats and won or held his own

In general it's never really scanned for me

But there you go

Ultimate Member

That was one of his traits in myth as well. In one humorous tale, he drank from a mead-horn given him by a sorcerer, and failed to drain it completely, only to find out that it had been magically connected to the ocean, and he had drained so much that he *created the tides.*

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    this does seem like the obvious route the storyline should have taken but it was not to be as Aaron had to write a thor wallowing in the dregs as being the only way for thor to deal with his unworthiness. Hell he could have been shown to be taking epic quests to rediscover his worthiness or just be touring the nine worlds saving people whenever he can to assuage his feelings of being not worthy but Aaron was more interested in writing as a broken character who has lost faith both in himself and the whole universal Pantheons of God's.
    A 'twelve labours of Thor' arc where he goes out and tries to find himself as a hero again, sans Mjolnir, could have been intriguing.