Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

And if you take Harry Potter...

And add an Owl from the Talon's Night bundle...

You have Tim Hunter!

Incredible Member

Surprised that no one mentioned this, on this thread...

DqePlh8X4AAtDBx.jpg

Incredible Member

With how together the magic community is in JL: Dark I think a YA book about a school of magic user could be interesting. Zatanna and others would be teachers and Diana would be the headmaster. Maybe it could be called the Sensation Institute.

I think it would be like a mix of scooby doo ghoul school, and Harry Potter. Training the young magic users to help control their magic. I've always found it weird that there isn't any school to help younger heroes in the DC universe. They just instantly join the titans and get destroyed in fights.

The students would range from normal human magic users, vampires, ghost, weres, basically all the creatures of the night. They could teach the about their respective races abilities. It would also be a way to help those who society is scared of amd giving them a home.

Mystic University would have been perfect for that.

Rebecca Carstairs aka Witchfire by Phil Cho

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Rebecca Carstairs aka Witchfire by Phil Cho
    Reminds me of Elsa Bloodstone...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    For a Vixen show, I think perhaps the best thing they could do is have her do voiceovers for the animals she is mimicking...that way she can specifically say which animal/species of animal she is mimicking...is she mimicking a Brown Recluse Spider or a Black Widow Spider? A python, an anaconda or a cobra? A bullet ant or a fire ant? These voiceovers would be like the voiceovers used in the classic 1980's "MacGyver" TV series where MacGyver would explain to the viewers what he was doing as he was doing it.

Example: "I decide to mimic a Bullet Ant, which has a sting so painful it makes you feel as though you've been shot with a bullet. Combined with the striking speed of a pistol shrimp, I can have him down for the count before he even knows what's happening."

Maybe in addition to voiceovers, or instead of voiceovers, they could just flash the name of the specific animal on the screen that is Vixen is using...although you would lose the informative bit about the animal that a voiceover would provide.
    In the vixen animated series they showed the animal she was using as a shadow. That could save a lot on animted a full 3d animal while also still looking visual appealing.

Incredible Member

How would you guys feel about a Titans Book similar to JLark? It could be a young adult version of horror stories similar to books like haunting hour/goosebumps from RL. Stine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    How would you guys feel about a Titans Book similar to JLark? It could be a young adult version of horror stories similar to books like haunting hour/goosebumps from RL. Stine.
    I guess The Night Force that popped up in Raven or Mystic U would be perfect.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I guess The Night Force that popped up in Raven or Mystic U would be perfect.
    After reading a little info on Mystic U it does seem like an interesting idea. It is more colleged based so that's interesting, though I was thinking more high school or something like Gotham Academy.

With how well the magic community is in JL Dark I like to imagine all the young magic or mystic based generations are being taught by some members. Man-bat handles all the weretransformation students, Diana handles the children of gods, Zatanna handles all the spell users. It would make it feel more like an alive world.

I'm not sure a magic school would work that well in the DC universe. I'm not saying it can't be done, or that's a bad idea in general (enter Harry Potter as evidence), but to me the magic of DC is something that has historically been left in the dark corners, in the nooks and crannies, on the outskirts of society, in the basements, or in shady bars. DC's magic is very much a liminal activity and based on personal experience and outlook.

So they are working much more with apprenticeships and mentoring. Given the nature of the threats in Tynion's JLD run, there is even strong justification for the magic users to not bring too much magic into a single place for a long time. That would directly work against the idea of a formal school system.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not sure a magic school would work that well in the DC universe. I'm not saying it can't be done, or that's a bad idea in general (enter Harry Potter as evidence), but to me the magic of DC is something that has historically been left in the dark corners, in the nooks and crannies, on the outskirts of society, in the basements, or in shady bars. DC's magic is very much a liminal activity and based on personal experience and outlook.

So they are working much more with apprenticeships and mentoring. Given the nature of the threats in Tynion's JLD run, there is even strong justification for the magic users to not bring too much magic into a single place for a long time. That would directly work against the idea of a formal school system.
    Batman started out shooting people. Some of his greatest books involve his murderous killing spree rogue gallery, death of a robin, man eating half crocs, yet was made into one of the most popular kids series. Having a little magic based on the light side is not that hard especially with what Geoff Johns is doing with SHAZAM.