Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Default Hell Hath No Fury: Kate Spencer (Manhunter) Appreciation Thread (2019)

Welcome! With the recent news of Kate Spencer finally donning her mask again on the cover of Event Leviathan #2, I thought it high time I got this thread going.*

Kate Spencer is a former federal prosecutor and current lawyer, characterized by her sharp wit and no-nonsense attitude. She's also a devoted (single) mother who just happens to moonlight as one of the coolest vigilantes in the DC Comics Universe, Manhunter!

And wow. What an amazing supporting cast, too, am I right? Anyhoo, in light of Kate's upcoming return, let's use this space to share our favorite pictures, quotes, and stories of Kate Spencer, and why we find this particular Manhunter oh-so-great!

*The original Kate Spencer Appreciation Thread can be viewed here.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

So I didn't want to gush too much in my opening post, as I didn't want to distract from the overall purpose of the thread, but Kate is a very special character to me. I was a partially lapsed comic book reader in 2004, who was only really reading Daredevil at the time, and that book more out of habit and completionist sensibilities than anything else. Kate came to my attention through these very message boards, and upon inquiring about where to start with her book, Marc Andreyko himself chimed in and sent me a signed copy of the first trade paper back, Street Justice. Upon reading it, I was immediately taken with Kate and her world.

Here was a character that had everything I was looking for in a superhero: A strong woman with an equally strong sense of justice both in and out of costume. In many ways, I saw in Kate a lot of the same things that originally drew me to Daredevil, but with a few others that pushed her over the top, notably that she was a fiercely independent woman who wasn't afraid to do what she felt needed to be done. During those early days, when people asked me what kind of a hero Kate was, I'd usually summarize it with, "She's like a combination of Daredevil and the Punisher... but with more character and heart than either one of them."

The book itself was also far more adventurous and just plain fun than Daredevil was for me at the time, which under Bendis had become too steeped in crime noire and out-of-costume conversations for my taste. In contrast, Manhunter balanced the uniquely costumed hijinks that separates superhero fiction from other genres, while also managing the quieter, more personal moments that keep most of us readers coming back each month with unparalleled finesse. I can't sing Mr. Andreyko's praises enough for the superb job he did of not just creating such a well-developed character in Kate, but in building a cast of characters around her that, in my opinion, rival and even surpass the supporting cast of many A- and B-list characters at DC and Marvel alike. Manhunter really was the quintessential, superhero escape book for me during its run, ticking off all of the boxes I look for in this genre almost perfectly.

Unfortunately, it hasn't been easy being a Kate Spencer fan as of late. Her appearances have been far too few and inconsequential over the last several years; indeed, it's been a while since she's appeared in any relevant capacity at all. Yet despite this, Kate remains at the top of my personal list of favorite DC characters. I would even go so far as to say that she made me a DC fan and reader in the first place. Her uncompromising attitude and fierce approach to justice are just two of the many traits I admire about the character. That she's also a strong woman who's more of an alpha than most of the men around her (a character type I tend to gravitate towards anyway in fiction) is just icing on the cake. I hope all of these facets remain pillars of her portrayal when (ironically) Bendis brings her back into the fold in the coming months.

So, yeah. Kate Spencer for life! June 12th can't come fast enough!

"Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

Thank you so much, Energist. I have been waiting a long time for someone to come along and begin a new appreciation thread for one of my favorite characters in the DCU. I hope Bendis will do Andreyko proud.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I have always love her character! I can't wait to see her return. Bendis has shaken things up, and I'm excited by this!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Glad she's returning! Her solo book is one of my favorites! Her cast was good, and the overall concept really. Honestly I kinda feel like Silencer was ripping off her just a little bit. I like Silencer but I got so much Manhunter vibes from her. I actually want them to meet and have their children have a play date while they fight crime or each other.

Anyway glad Bendis is using her. I know that Ben Percy brought her back in his run which props to him but I'm glad she's back in the suit.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm actually worried as Marc isn't writing her.
    Kate Spencer is a favourite of mine and I'm very happy to hear she'll be returning.
    BUT, the only writer other than Marc Andreyko whose portrayal I enjoyed was Gail Simone in her original Birds of Prey run.

Oh, and I got hooked through the buzz on the Geoff Johns boards all those years ago. So much so, I was pimping it at the local store and sending issues to others.
    I still have the Manhunter shirt Marc sent me hanging in the wardrobe. It is still in pristine condition and gets shown off to anyone who'll listen.
    Last edited by married guy; 04-15-2019 at 05:48 AM.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Very excited for her return and hope this brings more big things in 2019 and onward.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thank you so much, Energist. I have been waiting a long time for someone to come along and begin a new appreciation thread for one of my favorite characters in the DCU. I hope Bendis will do Andreyko proud.
    My pleasure! I'd been meaning to do it since the purge of the old appreciation threads actually, but just couldn't muster the initiative. The July solicit, though, hyped me to the point that I couldn't wait to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Glad she's returning! Her solo book is one of my favorites! Her cast was good, and the overall concept really. Honestly I kinda feel like Silencer was ripping off her just a little bit. I like Silencer but I got so much Manhunter vibes from her. I actually want them to meet and have their children have a play date while they fight crime or each other.
    I never read Silencer, but I remember when the solicit for the first issue hit my initial reaction was, "Why didn't they just bring Kate back instead?" May have even posted a similar though here at the time. You could say I was a bit bitter over it, even. Now that the whole thing's in hindsight, though, I may go back and check her series out. I'd definitely be down for a crossover or team-up, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I'm actually worried as Marc isn't writing her.
    Kate Spencer is a favourite of mine and I'm very happy to hear she'll be returning.
    BUT, the only writer other than Marc Andreyko whose portrayal I enjoyed was Gail Simone in her original Birds of Prey run.

Oh, and I got hooked through the buzz on the Geoff Johns boards all those years ago. So much so, I was pimping it at the local store and sending issues to others.
    I still have the Manhunter shirt Marc sent me hanging in the wardrobe. It is still in pristine condition and gets shown off to anyone who'll listen.
    I'm a little worried, too, as Bendis is very hit-or-miss with me, but I think Kate is a good fit for him. I also get the impression that he and Marc are relatively close, to the point that I don't think he'd use Kate without Marc's blessing. So if Marc trusts him, so do I.

On a related note, I think this is probably going to be the catalyst that leads into a new ongoing, likely written by Marc. I had the pleasure to speak with Marc about two years ago now at a convention, and he told me with regards to Kate's return that "the wheels were in motion" but "it just wasn't the right time yet." At the time, I figured he was referring to Rebirth, but he was probably aware of Doomsday Clock by then, too. Now that continuity is just about rejiggered again, it makes sense to bring Kate back in proper form, as I know her backstory and legacy are extremely important to Marc (and rightfully so!).

Also, I must see this T-shirt! I'm totally jealous. Pics, please!

Andreko’s first run on Manhunter is one of my all time favorites! I met him at a convention and got him to sign my copy of Manhunter #3 (one of my favorite covers!). Love Kate Spencer and so happy she’s coming back. Bendis did such great work with Marvel’s “street level” characters, I think he could do awesome stuff with Kate.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Energist View Post

Also, I must see this T-shirt! I'm totally jealous. Pics, please!
    Here it is! Marc was giving them away to fans online and I managed to score one.
    20190416_175249[1].jpg
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Here it is! Marc was giving them away to fans online and I managed to score one.
    20190416_175249[1].jpg
    Oh, wow! That is an awesome design! Thanks a lot for sharing. I want one, darn it!

20190416_175249[1].jpg
    I NEED THAT SHIRT!!!!

I love Kate! So I’ll be adding this “Event Leviathan” to my pull list for sure...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Action Comics #1011 preview

Made it out to MegaCon this past weekend, and managed to get a couple of commissions for myself, including this beauty from Jae Lee:

Recreation of his cover for Manhunter #4, but in his current style. Needless to say, I'm thrilled with it! He also signed my custom poster of the #4 cover. Awesome artist, and a super-cool guy, to boot!