Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Donna was created during the Titans days, there was no before due to confusion in thinking that Wonder Girl was already a character. I could've sworn Garth was name-dropped in his first appearance.
    Yeah, but that's kind of retcon on Donna. Clearly, she was intended to be the same character as the previous Wonder Girl when she first joined. Though she's a weird sort of limbo, I'll grant, since there was a Wonder Girl, like you said. And even so, it was a while before she got a name (Not until "The Origin of Wonder Girl"- issue 22, right?) I seem to remember letters asking about her origin for a bit before that.

I don't remember Garth's name being mentioned in first appearance, but it might have been.

I have read some of the early stories, and they really were heavy on the parent/child aspect of the relationship then.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-09-2019 at 05:18 AM.

First look at the Aqualad costume for Titans (or at least concept art of it):

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    First look at the Aqualad costume for Titans (or at least concept art of it):

I like it
    I hope the season is 22 episode order

I'm surprised Garth has never worn purple before.

Reading older posts
    I personally was not a fan of him secretly being a prince because that seems way too similar to Arthur.
    . I agree. And not just Garth. Of course, Arthur didn't start out royalty originally, either, not even after he was half-Atlantean. I don't think Garth being royalty adds anything. Him learning magic via "ordinary" means works better for me. Plus, "evil uncle" is sort of meh to me.

I'm surprised Garth has never worn purple before.
    True. Do guys wear purple anymore without being cast as effeminate? There was certainly a time when it was common, but I'm not sure if it's done anymore. I really should pay more attention to costumes and see.

Fantastic Member

I personally like that Garth is a prince. I dont think many here read mangas that was out the exact same time as 94 Aquaman. Garth is basically Vegeta if Vegeta was not evil.And i love the contrast to Arthur, in how Arthur is a King but Garth remain a prince. And i like that the moment he found out he was a prince but abandoned, he totally disregarded being a prince in the shallow meaning of that word. There are something hiddenly "royal" about his kind of character, the way he pushes Arthur and his friends to be responsible and brave as leaders. That's something you can't work for. Wally and Kaldur worked to be on top, Dick is naturally loved, but Garth was born a prince.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 07-22-2019 at 07:10 AM.

I just think there are too many Royals from fictional nations/civilizations being heroes on Earth. When we have a hero from a fictional civilization, it seems more likely to be royalty than not. Wonder Woman, Starfire, Black Adam (sorta), Arthur and Mera (from different kingdoms), and that's before we get to Marvel. We don't ever seem to follow people who have ordinary/mundane non-hero lives in those, the way we do with US-based heroes.

There are something hiddenly "royal" about his kind of character, the way he pushes Arthur and his friends to be responsible and brave.
    That's just imbuing the word "royal" with meaning it doesn't have to me. And kinda classist. Wouldn't it be more significant to have those "royal" traits without rank or bloodline, proving that "princeliness" isn't inherited by blood, but defined by actions?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-22-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    I personally like that Garth is a prince. I dont think many here read mangas that was out the exact same time as 94 Aquaman. Garth is basically Vegeta if Vegeta was not evil.And i love the contrast to Arthur, in how Arthur is a King but Garth remain a prince. And i like that the moment he found out he was a prince but abandoned, he totally disregarded being a prince in the shallow meaning of that word. There are something hiddenly "royal" about his kind of character, the way he pushes Arthur and his friends to be responsible and brave as leaders. That's something you can't work for. Wally and Kaldur worked to be on top, Dick is naturally loved, but Garth was born a prince.
    I don't see anything Vegeta-like about him at all. Even him being a prince isn't really much like Vegeta at all. I mean, they do wear blue so I guess that's something.

Fantastic Member

You read Garth so different than i did, and i hate the version of Garth that wore blue, but whatever.
    It fits Arthur's character that he's surrounded by so many royals and top-dogs in the society. To me princes and things like that is still unique, especially in Garth's case. And Garth was originally the only sidekick and the only contrast to Aquaman and also appeared before Mera, so it's only coincedence that she and Orm are ALSO royals. His story was not working towards a throne, like Orm and Kaldur , not even abandoning the throne like Mera, but about reclaims his own throne. It's like Dick's functions and roles being divided back in the Batfam and the only time he comes full circle is when he was Batman.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 07-22-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    You read Garth so different than i did, and i hate the version of Garth that wore blue, but whatever.
    It fits Arthur's character that he's surrounded by so many royals and top-dogs in the society. To me princes and things like that is still unique, especially in Garth's case. And Garth was originally the only sidekick and the only contrast to Aquaman and also appeared before Mera, so it's only coincedence that she and Orm are ALSO royals. His story was not working towards a throne, like Orm and Kaldur , not even abandoning the throne like Mera, but about reclaims his own throne. It's like Dick's functions and roles being divided back in the Batfam. The more the merrier.
    Kaldur never worked towards a throne. He isn't even royalty.

Extraordinary Member

Garth really only appears as a guest star in titans (when does he get over his 1 hour out of water limitation)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kaldur never worked towards a throne. He isn't even royalty.
    Yeah Garth was more of squire than royalty. Just a lucky kid who got the attention of a king.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Yeah, but that's kind of retcon on Donna. Clearly, she was intended to be the same character as the previous Wonder Girl when she first joined. Though she's a weird sort of limbo, I'll grant, since there was a Wonder Girl, like you said. And even so, it was a while before she got a name (Not until "The Origin of Wonder Girl"- issue 22, right?) I seem to remember letters asking about her origin for a bit before that.

I don't remember Garth's name being mentioned in first appearance, but it might have been.

I have read some of the early stories, and they really were heavy on the parent/child aspect of the relationship then.
    The original Wonder Girl was Diana from a time travel story where Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot all teamed-up in a Silver Age story. It wasn't really a retcon or at least an intentional one. The editor thought that Wonder Girl was her own character and assumed she was Wondy's sidekick since everyone had one at the time.

This is the cover I generally saw when people talked about her creation.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Yes, I know the original Wonder Girl background. Which is why Donna (her being her own character even) is a retcon to me. Not an intentional one, but certainly a retcon. IIRC, it was a writer who didn't know Holly Robinson had died ended up creating another unintentional retcon.

Yeah Garth was more of squire than royalty. Just a lucky kid who got the attention of a king.
    Well, the attention of a future king, originally, I guess. It's kinda funny how we talk about the convoluted origins of Donna (I kinda think the Hawks might be a whole different category), but just overlook the retconned origins of other heroes like our Aquafam. Maybe because they seem simpler or because everyone in family tends to be reworked at the same time so less inconsistency?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-22-2019 at 05:14 PM.

I hope Garth is portrayed well on Titans and becomes a fan-favorite/star.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!