Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    You must throw in That 70's Show-esque transitions in between scenes.
    Mostly done with the first script, it's all plotted and I have the first 10 out of 22 pages done. I'm loving this so much. Writing Garth is a lot of fun, I'm going for a confident prince attitude that will be challenged by the surface.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    It's gonna be almost like a run through comic history. The first season that I'm writing right now will be very Silver Age goofy and fun, surf rock and psychedelic music with a Darwyn Cooke art style. I'll take a page from Young Justice where the team ages up but only about a year or so. My hope is to have this go all the way till they become the new Justice League but realistically I'm gonna hope for 3ish seasons that really sum up the the Silver and Bronze age Titans.

I want to do a nice mix of classic stories and original stories. Like Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad fighting Mr.Twister to start the idea of a team, then bring in Donna and Roy. Mad Mod, Ding Dong Daddy, and a bunch of others will be making appearances. I'm also filling it with useless references and such, the first episode has Mayor Corliss from Brave and the Bold #54 and some others. Focusing right now on getting everyone's voices right.

spoilers:
    Slight spoilers for episode 1, the trio steals the '66 Batmobile and Tula makes a cameo.
    end of spoilers
    That sounds great. Sounds like it really captures that era. Great for guys like me who are real fans of that time. Especially since that time doesn't get as much attention as I'd like.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Mostly done with the first script, it's all plotted and I have the first 10 out of 22 pages done. I'm loving this so much. Writing Garth is a lot of fun, I'm going for a confident prince attitude that will be challenged by the surface.
    Which look would you say best portrays your version of Garth and what your going for?

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Fantastic Member

Cool, that's what i look for in my Garth too! Im not big on suave diplomat Garth from TTA or too nerdy YJ Garth. The all too angry warrior shtick in Prime earth doesn't work either. He's not as career and power driven as Kaldur but he's confident and cocky enough to fight his own fights and cray adventure and survive by himself in his early years and sass his friends like no one's business. He is only softer when on the surface.

For look i LOVE the outfit he wore when he returned to Arthur fpr the first time after training with Atlan. The black one with a long white coat/jacket. Pity he didn't keep it it's so pretty

I've been thinking, Garth is pretty much the Dick Grayson of Atlantis better than Arthur and secretly the most powerful DC character if he ever reached his full potential. So if Dick has both Batman and Superman as dad figures i think Wonder Woman fits to be Garth's mom , at least in personality and goals. Since Donna is his big sis and hes usually seen in their circle for magic it comes to me that Diana would like Garth.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 01-21-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Which look would you say best portrays your version of Garth and what your going for?
    I'm going for a mix of familiar yet different. Initially I want that kind of Garth from the TT cartoon for a bit. Kinda a pretty boy that was full of himself. I think this is a very under rated idea that really helps boost Garth as Aqualad. I want to have him and Roy be initially similar so they get on each others nerves. Garth and Roy have always had a back and forth relationship but it mostly came from Roy dumping on Garth most of the time. I want them to have natural reasons for coming to blows and get Garth changing his outlook a bit. Roy maybe having issues with Atlanteans and Garth mellowing out a bit. These are the vague kinda directions I want to go with. By the end of each season I want the characters to not only look older and mature but act like it too.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    He mentioned a "silent mage school" . Too limited I would say. Pre flashpoint Garth has a rich origin and backstory. Not to mention the last Aquaman arc is basically the tempest book without Tempest lol, just worse.
    Could you elaborate on what you mean on the mage school being too limited? Also how is the last Aquaman run like Tempest's book?

I'm going for a mix of familiar yet different. Initially I want that kind of Garth from the TT cartoon for a bit. Kinda a pretty boy that was full of himself. I think this is a very under rated idea that really helps boost Garth as Aqualad. I want to have him and Roy be initially similar so they get on each others nerves. Garth and Roy have always had a back and forth relationship but it mostly came from Roy dumping on Garth most of the time. I want them to have natural reasons for coming to blows and get Garth changing his outlook a bit. Roy maybe having issues with Atlanteans and Garth mellowing out a bit. These are the vague kinda directions I want to go with. By the end of each season I want the characters to not only look older and mature but act like it too.

Cool.

But I always saw Garth differently. Not full of himself at all. That was Roy. Dick was always the level headed mature one. Donna was the heart of the team. Roy was the cocky, but really insecure, loud mouth. Wally was also cocky but not as much as Roy, and was fun and a bit immature, humour wise. And Garth was always the calm quiet one who everyone liked and got along with. But not being as loud or firm as everyone else kinda got taken advantage of sometimes or was looked over.

Devin Grayson actually shows this in her first issue of her Titans series in that great scene at the restaurant.

There's nothing wrong with Garth being more on the quiet inhibited side. Especially when he is younger and in his teenage years. Especially among the fab 5 where we already have the loud ones in Wally and Roy. Garth sticks out and is different and the team.itself has a variety of different personalities which is always fun.

When he gets older Garth is definitely capable and powerful but I don't think he was ever portrayed as full of himself or cocky.

But I'm talking about in main continuity. This is your own story and interpertion so go for it.

Sorry bud. Looks like we're on two different wave lengths recently.

Cool.

But I always saw Garth differently. Not full of himself at all. That was Roy. Dick was always the level headed mature one. Donna was the heart of the team. Roy was the cocky, but really insecure, loud mouth. Wally was also cocky but not as much as Roy, and was fun and a bit immature, humour wise. And Garth was always the calm quiet one who everyone liked and got along with. But not being as loud or firm as everyone else kinda got taken advantage of sometimes or was looked over.

Devin Grayson actually shows this in her first issue of her Titans series in that great scene at the restaurant.

There's nothing wrong with Garth being more on the quiet inhibited side. Especially when he is younger and in his teenage years. Especially among the fab 5 where we already have the loud ones in Wally and Roy. Garth sticks out and is different and the team.itself has a variety of different personalities which is always fun.

When he gets older Garth is definitely capable and powerful but I don't think he was ever portrayed as full of himself or cocky.

But I'm talking about in main continuity. This is your own story and interpertion so go for it.

Sorry bud. Looks like we're on two different wave lengths recently.
    I don't see Garth like Roy at all either. For this version he is going to be a bit more like Roy at the start. Characters need to have arcs and grow and change. I like Garth because of his level headed and general good guy qualities he exhibits. They are starting out as kids so everyone won't be exactly where you think or want them to be. That's the fun of storytelling, the journey to the change and then the next and so on.

How you described Garth is exactly how I see him in my head. I'm a huge Garth fan (I wear a Tempest shirt a lot) and I'm not trying to make him look bad or be a "cooler" version of himself when I think he is (was) there. (At least pre-new 52)

Roy's initial personality will but heads with pretty much everyone in one way or another. I see his joining of the team as their first step of maturing and growing into their own as heroes. It's not a big step or anything but it's something I've always thought of as very important to Titans since they go from the Fab Foursome to the Fab Five. It's like when you were a kid and you made a friend that was a bit more rough and tumble, got in trouble, showed a different way of living that kinda thing.

I don't see Garth like Roy at all either. For this version he is going to be a bit more like Roy at the start. Characters need to have arcs and grow and change. I like Garth because of his level headed and general good guy qualities he exhibits. They are starting out as kids so everyone won't be exactly where you think or want them to be. That's the fun of storytelling, the journey to the change and then the next and so on.

How you described Garth is exactly how I see him in my head. I'm a huge Garth fan (I wear a Tempest shirt a lot) and I'm not trying to make him look bad or be a "cooler" version of himself when I think he is (was) there. (At least pre-new 52)

Roy's initial personality will but heads with pretty much everyone in one way or another. I see his joining of the team as their first step of maturing and growing into their own as heroes. It's not a big step or anything but it's something I've always thought of as very important to Titans since they go from the Fab Foursome to the Fab Five. It's like when you were a kid and you made a friend that was a bit more rough and tumble, got in trouble, showed a different way of living that kinda thing.
    I get what you'r saying about Garth's peronality and I understand as a writer putting a character through an arc, but I don't like when they make the character the opposite of who he is even at the start. It doesn't feel organic. People change but not that much usually. Also it turns me off to why I liked the character in the first place. I understand Superman being a little hot headed and brash at the start but to make him a total meat head with anger issues, like JL new 52, is not a good fit. It's not who Superman is or ever was. I think Wally is a perfect example of a good character arc. He was very immatute and kinda selfish but still a hero at the beginning of his series. By the end of Waids run he matured a lot, was a lot more selfless but he was still the same fun personality who didn't take most things seriously and was still a bit impulsive. Then Johns came along and altered his personality completely into Barry lite and took away the fun personality that made Wally so great but that's another story.

So with Garth I get putting him through a character arc but to make him the opposite of who he is, quiet and calm, seems unnatural to me.

Cool about the shirt. Can you post a pic of it? I'm starting to post my stash in the Wally page so I'm curious what other merchandise people got of my favorite heroes.

Garth wasn't really around in new 52 but in Titans hunt and is a great example of what I'm saying I don't like. They made him like Namor the Sub Mariner and that is not who Garth is at all.

What you said about when Roy joins is great and I absolutely agree. When he joined they definitely took the next step. At first when it was just Wally, Dick and Garth they we're so young and only a trio. Much simpler times and basic. Then Donna joined. She threw in a new dynamic and matured them a bit but she was still on their level as far as innocent personalities go. Then Roy joins and throws everything out of wack with his rebeliousness . Great idea and a good portrayel of how they progressed.

I get what you'r saying about Garth's peronality and I understand as a writer putting a character through an arc, but I don't like when they make the character the opposite of who he is even at the start. It doesn't feel organic. People change but not that much usually. Also it turns me off to why I liked the character in the first place. I understand Superman being a little hot headed and brash at the start but to make him a total meat head with anger issues, like JL new 52, is not a good fit. It's not who Superman is or ever was. I think Wally is a perfect example of a good character arc. He was very immatute and kinda selfish but still a hero at the beginning of his series. By the end of Waids run he matured a lot, was a lot more selfless but he was still the same fun personality who didn't take most things seriously and was still a bit impulsive. Then Johns came along and altered his personality completely into Barry lite and took away the fun personality that made Wally so great but that's another story.

So with Garth I get putting him through a character arc but to make him the opposite of who he is, quiet and calm, seems unnatural to me.

Cool about the shirt. Can you post a pic of it? I'm starting to post my stash in the Wally page so I'm curious what other merchandise people got of my favorite heroes.

Garth wasn't really around in new 52 but in Titans hunt and is a great example of what I'm saying I don't like. They made him like Namor the Sub Mariner and that is not who Garth is at all.

What you said about when Roy joins is great and I absolutely agree. When he joined they definitely took the next step. At first when it was just Wally, Dick and Garth they we're so young and only a trio. Much simpler times and basic. Then Donna joined. She threw in a new dynamic and matured them a bit but she was still on their level as far as innocent personalities go. Then Roy joins and throws everything out of wack with his rebeliousness . Great idea and a good portrayel of how they progressed.
    Garth so far has more of an edge when it comes to dialogue. Not necessarily power like he was depicted in Titans Hunt where he was basically a meat-head. Garth is the power house of the sidekicks right now, basically the prince of Atlantis at 14-16 years old, and now Tula and Him have gotten together. That's gonna change anyone, that's one hell of a confidence boost. How I have my current direction for Garth is goes from normal heroic Garth trying to become an Atlantean sorcerer when he helps Aquaman and becomes Aqualad. I want him to feel like he made it, his life's goal was reached and now he's reaping the rewards. This complacency is Garth's hurdle to deal with. Realizing that just being Aqualad following Aquaman isn't the answer and that the battle is never ending. Garth will be be one of the first to really want the team as a way to grow beyond. This is a very important story beat that I want to keep with the team.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who trained Garth in current continuity?
    Garth was trained by Magister Loke, the master of the Silent School. Loke pushed Garth and his girlfriend Syra to use dangerous magics and she died when Garth miscast a spell. After that Garth renounced magic.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156
    I really want to see Garth in an underwater hogwarts.
    That's basically what the Silent School is.

In terms of personality, I always felt that Aqualad/Kaldur'ahm from the Young Justice cartoon had a personality that would have been great for Garth. That version of Kaldur was like a quiet storm. He was patient and level-headed, but also fierce and dangerous. That's how I always saw Garth. He was definitely the most laid-back of the of the Fab 5 and I always felt he was much more comfortable living undersea then he ever was while living on the surface.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    In terms of personality, I always felt that Aqualad/Kaldur'ahm from the Young Justice cartoon had a personality that would have been great for Garth. That version of Kaldur was like a quiet storm. He was patient and level-headed, but also fierce and dangerous. That's how I always saw Garth. He was definitely the most laid-back of the of the Fab 5 and I always felt he was much more comfortable living undersea then he ever was while living on the surface.
    I love Kaldur and Young Justice so much but I really wish Garth was Aqualad. He would've been boosted up so much I feel.

Garth can definitely use some more animated screen time. Whether its in the cartoon shows or the animated films, I definitely want more Garth. I feel like his magic abilities along with his already impressive physical capabilities make him the most powerful member of the Aqua-family.

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

My Garth shirt has got some milage to it if you can't tell. His hands and legs are gone.