Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    This issue really gave me those Paul Jenkins/Mark Buckingham Peter Parker: Spider-Man vibes. Love it.

I'm not thrilled about going down the "Aunt May is dying - again" road, but I'll see where Taylor is going with this.
    Ah! Another fan of Paul Jenkins Spider-Man! Wonderful!

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I really enjoyed the backup story, but I was bored by the main plot.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Taylor has Pete’s “voice” down pat. I was very impressed by the first issue.
    Cheers - CL

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Ah! Another fan of Paul Jenkins Spider-Man! Wonderful!
    You're a fan of Jenkins and Buckingham's Spidey? Excellent. Most excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Deonicles View Post
    You're a fan of Jenkins and Buckingham's Spidey? Excellent. Most excellent!
    Heck yes! I'm even making a custom Omnibus for that run since Marvel hasn't made one yet.

Some of my favorite stories were in there: "One Small Break", "A Death in the Family" (which was drawn by Ramos), "Make Mime Marvel". So many good ones.

Mighty Member

A tale of two books for me... I liked the main story, which I wasn't surprised by because I like Taylor quite a bit. I dug the tone, the setting, the whole thing. I liked Zdarsky's run a lot and am sad to see it go but it looks like Taylor will be a fine replacement. Zdarsky really did the whole line quite a service by having the JJJ reveal happen in Spectacular. I think the idea of "nothing happens in satellite titles" to be overstated sometimes, and that reveal killed that notion even more imo. It really helps this book feel like it will "matter".

The backup story... Man what a letdown. One of the absolute best things Slott did was make May a vibrant, dynamic character with motivations and stories all of her own. Taking her from a plot device to an actual character was fantastic and I'm so glad it happened. Having a death scare for May is one of the stories I was hoping to never read again. I've felt that ever since her death from Amazing #400 was undone she should just stay alive and healthy. I have zero interest in her fighting death and even less in her dying. The best I can hope for is we get an inspirational and moving story of her beating cancer, but even that is a story I just don't want to read. I just hope it is a quick story and we can move on from this tired, outdated story forever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    The backup story... Man what a letdown. One of the absolute best things Slott did was make May a vibrant, dynamic character with motivations and stories all of her own.
    Why are you ignoring all the hard work JMS put into May a vibrant and dynamic character? What Slott did with a "diet coke" version of that can't compare.

A tale of two books for me... I liked the main story, which I wasn't surprised by because I like Taylor quite a bit. I dug the tone, the setting, the whole thing. I liked Zdarsky's run a lot and am sad to see it go but it looks like Taylor will be a fine replacement. Zdarsky really did the whole line quite a service by having the JJJ reveal happen in Spectacular. I think the idea of "nothing happens in satellite titles" to be overstated sometimes, and that reveal killed that notion even more imo. It really helps this book feel like it will "matter".

The backup story... Man what a letdown. One of the absolute best things Slott did was make May a vibrant, dynamic character with motivations and stories all of her own. Taking her from a plot device to an actual character was fantastic and I'm so glad it happened. Having a death scare for May is one of the stories I was hoping to never read again. I've felt that ever since her death from Amazing #400 was undone she should just stay alive and healthy. I have zero interest in her fighting death and even less in her dying. The best I can hope for is we get an inspirational and moving story of her beating cancer, but even that is a story I just don't want to read. I just hope it is a quick story and we can move on from this tired, outdated story forever.
    I don't think Aunt May battling cancer falls into the tired, outdated story tropes though. She has previously----and mostly in the 1960's and 1970's---been portrayed as frail and constantly dealing with heart issues. For roughly the past 20 years or so, Aunt May has been de-aged significantly in the comics and I expect this will be a fierce battle and hopefully an inspiring one. The backup story was very well told and I doubt very much this will lead to another "Aunt May at death's door" scenario-----firstly, breast cancer is fairly treatable these days and, secondly, she has been portrayed as a strong woman who is going to want to live and thus fight. Let's give Tom Taylor the chance to tell the story before assuming which direction things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I don't think Aunt May battling cancer falls into the tired, outdated story tropes though. She has previously----and mostly in the 1960's and 1970's---been portrayed as frail and constantly dealing with heart issues. For roughly the past 20 years or so, Aunt May has been de-aged significantly in the comics and I expect this will be a fierce battle and hopefully an inspiring one. The backup story was very well told and I doubt very much this will lead to another "Aunt May at death's door" scenario-----firstly, breast cancer is fairly treatable these days and, secondly, she has been portrayed as a strong woman who is going to want to live and thus fight. Let's give Spencer the chance to tell the story before assuming which direction things are going ----he has done a great job these first 12 issues IMO.
    I agree with you, but this is Tom Taylor, oldschool. :P

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I agree with you, but this is Tom Taylor, oldschool. :P
    lol----last time I post before morning coffee!!!

I don't think Aunt May battling cancer falls into the tired, outdated story tropes though. She has previously----and mostly in the 1960's and 1970's---been portrayed as frail and constantly dealing with heart issues. For roughly the past 20 years or so, Aunt May has been de-aged significantly in the comics and I expect this will be a fierce battle and hopefully an inspiring one. The backup story was very well told and I doubt very much this will lead to another "Aunt May at death's door" scenario-----firstly, breast cancer is fairly treatable these days and, secondly, she has been portrayed as a strong woman who is going to want to live and thus fight. Let's give Tom Taylor the chance to tell the story before assuming which direction things are going.
    Plus it's not like this story didn't give us any strong or awesome moments from her, like when she calls out the Kingpin right to his face, that was great.

The only thing that doesn't inspire me much with the cancer angle is that we already read that story in Waid's Daredevil run, not that long ago.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Why are you ignoring all the hard work JMS put into May a vibrant and dynamic character? What Slott did with a "diet coke" version of that can't compare.
    I thought Slott did a better job. I connected with his version more and became much more invested during his run than JMS's. I give JMS credit for doing the setup and I liked what he did with her but I just liked what Slott did more. I can see why you may prefer JMS's version and I like both but Slott did more to hook me.

Mighty Member

I hope you're right! And I like Taylor and think he's a really good writer, I just have zero interest in a death scare with May. It will probably be well done but to me it's besides the point. I guess we all have some stories we just don't want to read and this is firmly in that category for me. Even if it was my dream creative team, it's just a non starter for me.

I think you're likely right, it will be more about her overcoming and will be more inspirational than "will she die?!?". That's what I'm hoping for and I think highly of Taylor, so I have faith he'll go the route of an emotional story rather than a stunt/splashy story.

I hope you're right! And I like Taylor and think he's a really good writer, I just have zero interest in a death scare with May. It will probably be well done but to me it's besides the point. I guess we all have some stories we just don't want to read and this is firmly in that category for me. Even if it was my dream creative team, it's just a non starter for me.

I think you're likely right, it will be more about her overcoming and will be more inspirational than "will she die?!?". That's what I'm hoping for and I think highly of Taylor, so I have faith he'll go the route of an emotional story rather than a stunt/splashy story.

Yes, I think the Aunt May story will ultimately be more of an inspirational tale and a way for Peter to grow closer with her again rather than a death watch. On another note, I know it has only been one issue, but this looks like the title that I though Zdarsky's PP:SSM was going to be. While I ultimately liked that book overall, his first 4 issues were pretty bad IMO; he quickly got better but---even then---spent a lot of time with time travel stories and very little on the street level stories we were promised when the title launched. Taylor seems to be poised to deliver just that and is off to a fantastic start.