Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Excuse me, first time on the thread!
    What's the status of Warren's powers actually?
    I haven't followed him in years. Looks like the Archangel persona is back, good but it needs explainations. Is it part of Apocalypse's experiences on Warren or is it part of Warren's powers and Apocalypse was just incidental in awakening it?
    What's the status on his blood? I remember Chuck Austen had (poorly) attempted to give Warren regeneration powers.
    All this questions are because I have a theory, it's that we've only seen a fraction of Warren's powers. That in the right mood he can emulate all the features of the myth angels, from the iconic angel persona to the "angel of death" Archangel persona. But it could include healing or fiery wings and flame sword.
    It's just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    Seems like by the covers Warren is back as Archangel.......maybe his time in AoX was that bad......(while Kurt doesn’t seem that different , Jean went back to the Marvel Girl Costume......) Either that or Stryfe messes up history, Cable does what he can but things are different......or Warren Lost then ability to switch......
    Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Warren still had the ability to switch back and forth between his to forms before disassembled.
    I haven't really read anything by Hickman that I can recall, but from what I have heard about his stories, he seems to like time travel and alternate realities. So you could easily be right about history being messed up by one of the characters.

We will just have to read the comics to find out what is going to happen. And, I want to keep an open mind about the upcoming stories, and not make a decision as to weather I like them or not based on interviews alone.
    I know that I responded to your post saying that you could be correct about time travel being used to change Archangel's past, Decoy.
    But I should also say that I don't like time travel being used to change characters' history or other types of retcons to a characters history.
    But, like I said above, I do want to give the stories a chance befor I judge them.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    With the maybe changing history and such it sounds a lot like AoX in many ways, and maybe the metal winged version could only be used for short bits of time or his armored up form or something...
    See above. I don't like characters to have their history changed duo to time travel or other retcons.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Excuse me, first time on the thread!
    What's the status of Warren's powers actually?
    I haven't followed him in years. Looks like the Archangel persona is back, good but it needs explainations. Is it part of Apocalypse's experiences on Warren or is it part of Warren's powers and Apocalypse was just incidental in awakening it?
    What's the status on his blood? I remember Chuck Austen had (poorly) attempted to give Warren regeneration powers.
    All this questions are because I have a theory, it's that we've only seen a fraction of Warren's powers. That in the right mood he can emulate all the features of the myth angels, from the iconic angel persona to the "angel of death" Archangel persona. But it could include healing or fiery wings and flame sword.
    It's just an idea.
    The Archangel powers first retuned in the Kyle/Yost run on X-Force. It was the first time where Warren would switch back and forth between his regular Angel form, and Archangel. He would change when he was angry or in battle, and the Death personality wanted to kill during battle. It was sort of like the Hulk

Warren currently can change between his regular Angel form and Archangel. When he is in his Archangel form, he becomes the type of character who kills first. He's always tring to resist the urge to turn back into Archangel, as the form scares him. It's sort of like the Hulk.

It's kind of hard to explain, because when Bunn first brought Warren back, he was changed permanently into his Archangel form, with complete control over himself. After Bunn left the character, Warren has since spent the last five years repeating the same story of regaining the ability to control his Archangel form, only to have have his inability to control his Archangel and form and Death personality returned in his next appearance with no explanation as to what's changed.

I hope that made sense, because I feel that I have not articulated things properly.

Warren hasn't had the healing blood for a good long time. Probably hasn't used it since Austen left the X-Men.
    Last edited by Thievery; 05-20-2019 at 05:03 AM.

Ultimate Member

Not saying that I wanted Warren's past to be changed just that they could do it easily if they wanted to that would fix his current situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Hope Hickman remembers that Warren is still charge of an army of mutant soldiers
    Sorry, Tycon, I meant to include a response to this in my last post, and left it out on accident.

I wanted the Sleeper Mutants followed up on also.I really loved the idea of Warren being in charge of the Sleeper Mutants, and hoped that it might lead to some new stories for him. But, the Sleepers have been forgotten since Bunn last used them. It was in X-Men Blue I believe, when adult Archangel was talking to his time traveling teen version of himself.

I get the feeling that will be the last we hear from the Sleepers, since it looks like Hickman plans to really shake things up, and move on from past stories.
    Last edited by Thievery; 05-20-2019 at 05:20 AM.

It's kind of hard to explain, because when Bunn first brought Warren back, he was changed permanently into his Archangel form, with complete control over himself. After Bunn left the character, Warren has since spent the last five years repeating the same story of regaining the ability to control his Archangel form, only to have have his inability to control his Archangel and form and Death personality returned in his next appearance with no explanation as to what's changed.

I hope that made sense, because I feel that I have not articulated things properly.

Warren hasn't had the healing blood for a good long time. Probably hasn't used it since Austen left the X-Men.
    I dont think Bunn made that clear. Warren didnt get much developed after he was brought back and I didnt get the impression that he was permanently in his Archangel form like he was in the early 90s. Him turning into his normal form didnt phase me as thats what I expected; it just hadnt been confirmed

Comic Geek in General

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont think Bunn made that clear. Warren didnt get much developed after he was brought back and I didnt get the impression that he was permanently in his Archangel form like he was in the early 90s. Him turning into his normal form didnt phase me as thats what I expected; it just hadnt been confirmed
    Warren was the most inconstantly revamp of the Original Five (Scott went from General to revolutionary to trying to reverse course before his death back to just the Field Leader upon his return and meeting up with Wolverine, Havok and the other New Mutant/ X-Factor/ Generstion X/ Hope/ All New, All Different members still on Earth, Bobby realized he was lying to himself, Hank further mutated, Jean became a political mediator/ leader upon her return (she didn’t have as much crap happen since she was Dead for a while) in recent years......here’s hoping Hickman figures out what to do with him......(the other four are relatively easy, assuming Hank and Bobby remain on the Team)
    Last edited by Decoy; 05-23-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Sorry that it took me so long to respond.

The way that I read Bunn's Apocalypse Wars story from his Uncanny run is that Warren's personalities were all merged into a new Archangel body with original Warren in control. After that we saw Bunn write the character in Uncanny, Secret Empire and X-Men Blue in his Archangel form with Warren in control. It was during Soul's Astonishing that we saw Warren with his split personality back.

At least that's how I interpreted the way Bunn was writing Warren. If you feel differently that's fine.

Sorry that it took me so long to respond.

The way that I read Bunn's Apocalypse Wars story from his Uncanny run is that Warren's personalities were all merged into a new Archangel body with original Warren in control. After that we saw Bunn write the character in Uncanny, Secret Empire and X-Men Blue in his Archangel form with Warren in control. It was during Soul's Astonishing that we saw Warren with his split personality back.

At least that's how I interpreted the way Bunn was writing Warren. If you feel differently that's fine.
    Sina wrote him in Iceman as plain Warren with no Archangel around this time as well

Ultimate Member

I think most of us/we Warren fans want him to be Archangel then, just without the whole split personality stuff...and for me back with a certain English lady...

Sina wrote him in Iceman as plain Warren with no Archangel around this time as well
    Yes, I remember that. But, I believe that I read in an interview somewhere that Sina was trying to Warren in the same way that Soul was. It was a nice bit of continuity. Nice to see that Sina was trying to be consistent with how other writers are handling a characters personality, even if I didn't care for that version of Warren. I don't have the comics in front of me right now, but I believe that Warren was suffering from a bit of depression from having the Death personality. I'll have to try and dig them out of my boxes and see if I can find them. My comics collection isn't the most organized right now.

I could be wrong about the interview however. It's been a while since I've read an interview from Sina about his Iceman comic.

Ultimate Member

Well Warren was written so differently back then depending on the writer so if Sina was writing Warren that way he may have just read a different writers version of Warren and based his version on that...or not...

Sorry to reply so late to you, LoganAlpha30X33. I think that we are saying the same thing. Sina was trying to write Angel the same way that Soul was. Just trying to follow some continuity.
    To show you how busy I have been lately, I still haven't done a search for any evidence that that was what Sina was deliberately doing. Haven't dug out my comics yet either. Just thought I should answer you.

Ultimate Member

Twenty lashes with a wet noodle for you

Going forward I just hope that the whole dual persona in his head is over and done with...

Extraordinary Member

I think Archangel on that cover for Hickman's series?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think Archangel on that cover for Hickman's series?
    It is. Archangel should just be a codename, not a seperate persona