Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Warren Worthington: (Arch)Angel Appreciation 2019

Welcome to Warren Worthington, aka Angel, aka Archangel's new appreciation thread. Have a miserable 2019 . Unless you want to post some pictures of Archangel in this thread. Then I wish you a happy new year.

Just for a basic description, Angel is one of the original X-Men. His powers include flight, enhanced healing, and enhanced eyesight. At one time he also had a magic sword.

Warren started off as a happy-go lucky narcissist and rich playboy. Than he was lucky enough to be severely injured in the Morlock Massacre while a member of X-Factor . His injuries would lead to Warren having his wings amputated. Depressed at having lost his wings, and being under the influence of some kind of brainwashing, Angel would turn to Apocalypse to regain his ability to fly. Apocalypse would turn Warren into one of his Four Horseman: Death. Apocalypse gave Angel great new T O metal wings. The wings fly faster, are razor sharp , and they can shoot metal feather blades that are coated with a neurotoxin that paralyzes their targets. Angel would eventually break free of Apocalypse's control, take the new name Archangel, and eventually rejoin X-Factor, and later the X-Men.

Warren has been in relationships with Candy Southern, Charlotte Jones, Psylocke, Husk, and X-23. Maybe some others as well if I am forgetting someone. EDIT: I did forget someone: Ichisume, the evil Japanese woman who Warren actually had children with.

There. I was going to write a bigger summery of Warren's history, but I'm just too lazy, and I just want to post about Warren again without getting into pages of Angel's backstory. I hope that this summery will do.

Favorite topics of discussion in Archangel's previous thread included:

1) What kind of new stories would you like to see Warren appear in.
    2) What is your favorite genre of stories for Angel
    3) Should Angel have feathered wings, the metal T O wings, energy wings, or Black Vortex fire wings. I say that the metal wings are the best.
    4) Which characters would you like to see Archangel interact with more often.
    5) Is it time for the Archangel/Psylocke romance to finally die? And if it should die, what lucky lady should Warren date.
    6) Should Angel leave the X-comics? And if he does leave the X-Men books, where should he end up?

There we go Angel/Archangel fans. We can discuss these or any other topics you find interesting.
    Last edited by Thievery; 01-04-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Ultimate Member

Let's see:
    1. Stories that aren't about him having two psyche's or persona's in his head, perhaps leading a worldwide high action adventure team that's not a kill kill stabby stabby team
    2. Action/drama with some comedy, so that he's not portrayed as just a guy with wings
    3. I like being able to have both the feathered and metal wings
    4. Not the O5
    5. Nah no romance that important to said characters will ever die, it'll finally die as soon as Jean and Scott finally die as a pairing...
    6. Not fully leave no but there's no reason that he shouldn't interact with characters outside of the X-comics, just as long as he's written well though...

Whelp, current issues of Uncanny X-Men have Warren locked in his never ending cycle of Angel vs. Archangel Horseman stories. He doesn't even seem to be doing anything new with the concept. It's really just the old "Psylocke saves Warren from mental control" story so far. Hopefully some thing different will still happen with the story at the conclusion of Uncanny's current story arch. And hopefully Warren doesn't die.

For those who are still interested in seeing Archangel interacting with Polaris, Uncanny #8 comes close. Lorna picks up on some of Warren's dialogue during the fight with the Horseman of Salvation. It happens in different panels, though, and Warren and Lorna don't share any panels that I remember of the top of my head.

Maybe the most interesting news on Warren recently came about in Mr. and Mrs. X #7. It's implied that Angel and Psylocke are no longer togather as a couple. That or they just aren't a very popular one.

Ultimate Member

Well they haven't been an official couple in years actually, so unless they got together during the Astonishing run where X showed up they couldn't break up as they weren't a couple...I don't have a problem with Warren interacting with Lorna, I just don't want it to go beyond that for them...the number of X-Men who had been horsemen used to be small, now it's growing pretty large...

Yeah, I agree that the number of X-Men who have become Horseman has become a little to large. It takes the uniqueness of the story away a lot.

I was happy to see Archangel interact with Polaris, small as it was. It's nice to see Warren interact with characters he doesn't usually talk to often. And just because they are talking, it doesn't mean that Warren and Lorna have to start fucking each other, Logan. They can always just be friends. And besides, I'm still supporting Angel/Moonstar. So if they start talking, than you should worry Logan

Ultimate Member

I know that it doesn't mean that, only that there are some fans that any time two characters like that interact for more than a few panels people want them together...or some do...but again last I checked W/B weren't a couple, if they had to describe their relationship they'd probably both say...it's complicated...and doesn't Gambit and Rogue's adventures take place before this, or are they taking place at the same time so to speak...wouldn't mind W/B and A/L on a team together for starters plus a few others...

I’d like to put some pics here. Warren is such a cool character, Angel is adorable and Archangel is badass.

Warren hasn’t been treated very well in last few years, hope in 2019 he’ll get a writer who knows how to use him appropriately and creatively. I want to see him in his Archangel form but not without self control, preferably don’t get involved in horseman mess any time soon. I like Betsy/Warren but I admit it’s not very enjoyable now as writers still won’t let the same losing mind stuff go, if things remain unchanged it won’t do any good to both characters.

I think the better future direction for Warren is that writers work on his friendship with other O4. I’d love to see an adult O5 team book since now they’re all alive and too many things have happened to them, and Warren can get enough spotlight. The other nice option is for him to join other teams, X-title or wider MU, as long as he gets out of the becoming-crazy-monster circle I’m pretty sure he’ll be fine.
    "He did it. Summers did it."
    "I don't understand...What exactly did Cyclops do?"
    "He kept his people alive."

Ultimate Member

My fear with a O5 book would be just that things would go right back to how they used to be with Warren not getting much development and just standing in Scott's shadow, especially now that he and Jean are newly back...as for W/B just let them move forward to new storylines together and they'd be fine and fun to read imho...I liked Churchill's version of Warren from his Uncanny issue or two...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    My fear with a O5 book would be just that things would go right back to how they used to be with Warren not getting much development and just standing in Scott's shadow, especially now that he and Jean are newly back...as for W/B just let them move forward to new storylines together and they'd be fine and fun to read imho...I liked Churchill's version of Warren from his Uncanny issue or two...
    Just think comparing to a team with a lot of characters as now writers seem really love to use but it turns out none of the characters are handled well, and if him leading a team is too much to ask, I prefer Warren to be in a smaller team to get more attention, then O5 popped up in my head. (I don't count Teen O5 book as O5 book...) Well if not O5 it's fine too, I understand your worries. He has many things to offer, but now we don't even know his future after disassembled...

Ultimate Member

Right now if the O5 were teamed together adult Warren would sadly probably get treated like the teen version...not well...I'm just doubting that they'd finally have all five original X-Men back alive for the first time in over a decade to then kill one off...so I'm thinking and hoping that they don't kill Warren...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyyyke View Post
    I’d like to put some pics here. Warren is such a cool character, Angel is adorable and Archangel is badass.

Warren hasn’t been treated very well in last few years, hope in 2019 he’ll get a writer who knows how to use him appropriately and creatively. I want to see him in his Archangel form but not without self control, preferably don’t get involved in horseman mess any time soon. I like Betsy/Warren but I admit it’s not very enjoyable now as writers still won’t let the same losing mind stuff go, if things remain unchanged it won’t do any good to both characters.

I think the better future direction for Warren is that writers work on his friendship with other O4. I’d love to see an adult O5 team book since now they’re all alive and too many things have happened to them, and Warren can get enough spotlight. The other nice option is for him to join other teams, X-title or wider MU, as long as he gets out of the becoming-crazy-monster circle I’m pretty sure he’ll be fine.
    Thank you for those pictures Cyyyke. I particularly like the second two. The middle pic was a great cover that came from the Kyle/Yost X-Force and included a broken up image of X-23.
    That third pic from Bunn's Uncanny I like the best. I really wish that Marvel had just kept going with that direction with Archangel. Putting him in charge of the sleeper mutants could have been a great new direction for Archangel, and it could have opened the door for some great new stories. But, I've been complaining about that forever, so I will stop now. Well, just for a little while. I need something to cry and complain about constantly on this forum. I just wouldn't be a true X-Men fan otherwise

I really agree with you on wanting a version of Warren as Archangel without the self control issues. I don't mind Warren being a character who is willing to kill, I just don't like the split personality/ lack of self control/ whatever his mental issues are. But, I've complained non-stop about that in the past, and I think that I will stop for a little while.

If Warren were to leave the X-Men comics, I would prefer for him to join the Thunderbolts. The T-Bolts are often characters who are willing to operate outside the law a little bit. If we are going to get a more loose cannon version of Archangel, he might fit in well with those characters. Maybe he get's some new story about redemption or something with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyyyke View Post
    Just think comparing to a team with a lot of characters as now writers seem really love to use but it turns out none of the characters are handled well, and if him leading a team is too much to ask, I prefer Warren to be in a smaller team to get more attention, then O5 popped up in my head. (I don't count Teen O5 book as O5 book...) Well if not O5 it's fine too, I understand your worries. He has many things to offer, but now we don't even know his future after disassembled...
    Right now if the O5 were teamed together adult Warren would sadly probably get treated like the teen version...not well...I'm just doubting that they'd finally have all five original X-Men back alive for the first time in over a decade to then kill one off...so I'm thinking and hoping that they don't kill Warren...
    Being the eternal pessimist that I am, I'm guessing that Angel will be killed in Disassembled. Hope I'm wrong. I'll just do the only actual sane thing, and read the story to find out.
    Hopefully we might get some idea about where Angel might end up in future solicitations.

Ultimate Member

I still think that he could form his own strike team, that could be slogging through some swamps one day and infiltrating some high society function to steal back passwords and such the next day, all the while he and the team could hold their own if the you know what hit the fan...

I could tell you to stop being so negative but... I won't...I'm almost guessing that he'll live and he and Betsy will be torn apart like they almost were with Proteus and Warren will then get mad but calm down and get fixed somehow while the others are gone...or so I hope...

I have that feeling too. Sigh, don’t do unceremonious death or vilification again x office.

Ultimate Member

I'd just fear that if he died then Betsy would pretty much be the only one that would really care, so killing off somebody else would be better imho...

I still think that he could form his own strike team, that could be slogging through some swamps one day and infiltrating some high society function to steal back passwords and such the next day, all the while he and the team could hold their own if the you know what hit the fan...

I could tell you to stop being so negative but... I won't...I'm almost guessing that he'll live and he and Betsy will be torn apart like they almost were with Proteus and Warren will then get mad but calm down and get fixed somehow while the others are gone...or so I hope...
    You seem interested in the idea of Angel leading his own strike team. I've constantly suggested that I like the idea of Archangel leading the Sleeper Mutants, but that idea seems to have fallen by the way side.

For a different idea, how about Angel ends up on a team with the T O infected New Mutants. And, remember this wont actually happen in a comic. I'm just trying to start an idea that could lead to something new
    new for Angel. Just some fun fan speculation ideas.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by saying that Psylocke and Archangel will be torn apart like they were during the Proteus story. If you mean as a couple, well they don't seem to be currently togather. And, I don't think that they were in the Astonishing story with Proteus either.

If Archangel were to have his mind fixed while the other X-Men are trapped in the Age of X-Man story, I guess that Emma or X could try it. X has already tried to fix Angel's mind in past stories. At least I think that he has. Those stories were a little vague as to what was actually happening.

Or perhaps Warren would have a better chance of having his own mind fixed while being trapped with the other characters in the Age of X-Man story. There are plenty of telepathy using characters in that story. Jean, Psylocke, Nate, Legion, and perhaps a few others. Maybe one of them fixes Warren while there. I'd prefer for it not to be Psylocke again, though.