Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Peter, Mary Jane & Annie-May Parker: The Spider-Fam Appreciation 2019

In 2018, RYV came to an end and the Parker family participated in Spidergeddon where they not only made it out in one piece, but their daughter Annie wove a new path for herself as the Pattern Maker of the Spider-Scroll prophecy. With their story concluded for the time being, can we expect to hear more from them in 2019? Or will they be given a long vacation?

I would love to see them again, but I do not think it’s likely.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I would love to see them again, but I do not think it’s likely.
    It's very likely, especially with how open ended things are with Annie's new role, all it takes is another Spider-Verse event

Got the final TPB for Christmas. Sad to see it end, hopefully the Spider-family will return, hopefully with less X-men.

BANNED

RYV Peter and MJ occupied a niche during the Dan Slott era where they were apart in the main continuity. Now that they are back in the Spencer run, I guess Marvel felt that the stories served its purpose.

I liked the original series but to be honest, the series really got good when Jody Houser started writing. Her ear for dialogue is great. Issue #19 is in my opinion up there with the all-time great Peter and MJ stories.

BANNED

Aging Annie up was it's downfall with most readers, not to mention the atrocious artwork once Stegman and his substitutes left.

BANNED

Well Jody Houser is one of the few women to write an entire Spider-Title by herself and she wrote Annie very well as well as Peter and MJ. The artwork may not be as good as it was before but it's not ugly either...

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Aging Annie up was it's downfall with most readers....
    I couldn't possibly agree with you more.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It's very likely, especially with how open ended things are with Annie's new role, all it takes is another Spider-Verse event
    And I can certainly see one happening soon - maybe only a year from now. There was a few sequel hooks left, with Spiders-Man scattering himself, the Spider-Girls wondering if they'll ever reunite, the reveal of MC2 Peter being the Other and resurrected, and Gwen being left as the only one capable of travelling the multiverse.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's clear that they left it to potentially have a series coming out from Spider-Geddon -like every comic book event hopes to spin-off a bunch of books from them-, but the bad sales of the Spider-Girls mini probably means that they are gonna shelve them for a while.

The next issue of Ghost Spider seems to be dealing with the fallout of SG, maybe we might see what will happen to the whole web of life.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The art might not have been the best, but I think Jody Houser, overall, wrote a more mature take on Peter and his relationships with his loved ones and his alter ego than 616 had been before Nick Spencer came on. Renew Your Vows #15 is pretty high up there to me, mostly because of the speech he made to Annie about what being a hero means.

"Being a hero isn't just about punching the bad guys. Even if that's what we spend a lot of our time doing. It doesn't mean you only help the people you completely trust or act only when it's safe. Heck, sometimes it means you walk into a trap 'knowing' it's a trap. Because there could be lives at stake. Great power, great responsibility. I know you've heard it a million times. But it's about more than just choosing to take action. It's about choosing to take on the risk. Sometimes you'll be wrong. Sometimes you'll swing straight into danger for no good reason at all. But you'll do it anyway, because there's the smallest chance that someone needs your help. And that's the responsibility you accepted when you put on that mask."

Right there, it sums up perfectly why Peter does what he does and has kept going for so many years and does so without constantly bemoaning what being Spider-Man costs him. Besides that, I rather enjoyed the moment in the final arc between Annie and Mary Jane when MJ revealed to Annie the grave of her Uncle Ben, better known to us as the Scarlet Spider and the Sensational Spider-Man, and confided his story to her, along with the story of the older sister Annie never got the chance to meet (which I was glad got paid off in Spider-Girls). And of course, I couldn't forget RYV 19, which was all about Peter and Mary Jane and their relationship with each other and really showed what made them such a solid couple in the first place. If Marvel doesn't give Jody Houser another crack at Spider-Man (preferably with Peter still romantically tied with Mary Jane), it will be quite a missed opportunity.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The art might not have been the best, but I think Jody Houser, overall, wrote a more mature take on Peter and his relationships with his loved ones and his alter ego than 616 had been before Nick Spencer came on. Renew Your Vows #15 is pretty high up there to me, mostly because of the speech he made to Annie about what being a hero means.

"Being a hero isn't just about punching the bad guys. Even if that's what we spend a lot of our time doing. It doesn't mean you only help the people you completely trust or act only when it's safe. Heck, sometimes it means you walk into a trap 'knowing' it's a trap. Because there could be lives at stake. Great power, great responsibility. I know you've heard it a million times. But it's about more than just choosing to take action. It's about choosing to take on the risk. Sometimes you'll be wrong. Sometimes you'll swing straight into danger for no good reason at all. But you'll do it anyway, because there's the smallest chance that someone needs your help. And that's the responsibility you accepted when you put on that mask."

Right there, it sums up perfectly why Peter does what he does and has kept going for so many years and does so without constantly bemoaning what being Spider-Man costs him. Besides that, I rather enjoyed the moment in the final arc between Annie and Mary Jane when MJ revealed to Annie the grave of her Uncle Ben, better known to us as the Scarlet Spider and the Sensational Spider-Man, and confided his story to her, along with the story of the older sister Annie never got the chance to meet (which I was glad got paid off in Spider-Girls). And of course, I couldn't forget RYV 19, which was all about Peter and Mary Jane and their relationship with each other and really showed what made them such a solid couple in the first place. If Marvel doesn't give Jody Houser another crack at Spider-Man (preferably with Peter still romantically tied with Mary Jane), it will be quite a missed opportunity.
    I agree with all this. I thought Houser did a terrific job and really had a grip on each character. The writing definitely made me overlook the art work.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I agree with all this. I thought Houser did a terrific job and really had a grip on each character. The writing definitely made me overlook the art work.
    The artwork is not bad. It's just banal and ordinary and it serves the comedic and light-hearted family nature of the story. The artwork should serve the story and it does that here.

And again the gestures and non-verbal beats in Issue #19 and other bits of the family interaction are as they say...on point. It's funny, poignant and so on.

And the layout work in Issue #15, when Peter gives Annie that big speech. Love it...awesome.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

with how popular the spider verse concept is now, I definitely see the family retuning. Then again, now that MJ is back as a love interest in the main universe, I wonder how much Marvel cares to show this particular au now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    with how popular the spider verse concept is now, I definitely see the family retuning. Then again, now that MJ is back as a love interest in the main universe, I wonder how much Marvel cares to show this particular au now.
    With MJ back in Peter's life and so on, and her missing out on some of his recent adventures, it would be cool to have her reactions to hearing about the Spider-Verse and so on...and maybe another Spider-Verse event where she gets to interact in some way with the different Spiders.