Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    BANNED

RIP letterer and designer Jim Novak, who's last comics project was Spider-Girl#25

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...died-in-april/

Surprisingly more stylized then I was expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Art looks good, nice seeing them tackle the Vulturions.
    The Vulturions - The goon squad of the Spider-Man universe .
    RIP letterer and designer Jim Novak, who's last comics project was Spider-Girl#25

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...died-in-april/
    RIP Mr. Novak.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Argh, how much longer do I have to wait for this to come out.

Damn, not Jim. RIP Jim Novak, a fine letter if ever there was one.

For those of you that have read Spider-girl, how highly would you recommend it? I’ve been curious about it.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    For those of you that have read Spider-girl, how highly would you recommend it? I’ve been curious about it.
    I';d highly recommend it. Most upbeat Spider-Book I've ever read, the slice of life stuff in high school is great, there's all the problems a teenager faces, conflict occasionally with her dad, great supporting characters in both school and superhero life etc, compelling characterisations. It's the complete package and the definitive epilogue to the Spider-Man lore.

I';d highly recommend it. Most upbeat Spider-Book I've ever read, the slice of life stuff in high school is great, there's all the problems a teenager faces, conflict occasionally with her dad, great supporting characters in both school and superhero life etc, compelling characterisations. It's the complete package and the definitive epilogue to the Spider-Man lore.
    Yeah it's a super-hero story that's relatable. You read it and while you often think about what you would have done in that situation instead of just flipping to the next page.

Arrow

Just a heads up for those who might be interested. You'll get to read about AU versions (although sticking close to the general 616 narrative) of Mayday and April grow up in my What If One More Day Never Happened? story "Another Strand in the Great Web" -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1281972...-The-Great-Web

If so inclined, enjoy
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

There's a "Complete Collection Vol. 1" book out now if you want a starting point.

That's all I've read of the series myself. I like it well enough. There are a lot of new characters, so it really does feel like a different era of Marvel then the modern one. Some good stories, others that don't quite land, but that's the nature of comics. The Vol. 1 book has a really good two-part story of Spider-Girl teaming up with her dad in the least likely way possible.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It's a good old-school book. There are, however, some very 90s aesthetics to character designs: cybernetic limbs, Peter with a goatee, the horror of Franklin Richards with a mullet. A lot of the new villains are pretty lackluster. DarkDevil was always a bit off for me. I like it for Mayday and her parents and some of the ideas about where Spider-Man would have ended up under different circumstances. (Funny how much Pete and MJ having a baby apparently affects Phil Urich's life )

If you have Marvel Unlimited, I believe the entire series(es) are up there.

BANNED

Cameo from MC2 Peter in Vault of Spiders#1

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It's a good old-school book. There are, however, some very 90s aesthetics to character designs: cybernetic limbs, Peter with a goatee, the horror of Franklin Richards with a mullet. A lot of the new villains are pretty lackluster. DarkDevil was always a bit off for me. I like it for Mayday and her parents and some of the ideas about where Spider-Man would have ended up under different circumstances. (Funny how much Pete and MJ having a baby apparently affects Phil Urich's life )

If you have Marvel Unlimited, I believe the entire series(es) are up there.
    It's also become badly outdated due to the absence of the Young Avengers (except Cassie) and Champions, who hadn't been created yet when MC2 started. That doesn't make it unenjoyable though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's also become badly outdated due to the absence of the Young Avengers (except Cassie) and Champions, who hadn't been created yet when MC2 started. That doesn't make it unenjoyable though.
    How does that make it outdated? It's a divergent timeline. If anything, it informed both Young Avengers and the recent Ant-Man series re: Cassie. The MC2 has also done many things the 616 only did several years later. It's an amazingly consistent series too. Changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by frogoat View Post
    How does that make it outdated? It's a divergent timeline. If anything, it informed both Young Avengers and the recent Ant-Man series re: Cassie. The MC2 has also done many things the 616 only did several years later. It's an amazingly consistent series too. Changed my life.
    What did they do? The only things I can think of were give Wolverine a daughter (Wild Child vs. 616's X-23) and invented Hope van Dyne (albeit a character for the movies not 616, and completely reimagined as a hero from a villain).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    What did they do? The only things I can think of were give Wolverine a daughter (Wild Child vs. 616's X-23) and invented Hope van Dyne (albeit a character for the movies not 616, and completely reimagined as a hero from a villain).
    Just off the top of my head, the MC2 gave us a bi-sexual Felicia Hardy, redeemed Kaine, turned Galactus into a force for good in the universe and brought the original Hobgoblin back and made him a real threat all years before the 616. Also, Wolverine and Elektra's child is called Wild Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by frogoat View Post
    While it's true that we have MC2 to thank for Cassie becoming a superhero later in 616, and MCU Hope and Nadia's entire existence, and also Kevin Masterson Thunderstrike, the fact is that the divergence point would be after those missing heroes should've already been born, so they should still exist. That's what makes it outdated. If they brought it back now, those characters would need to be retconned in. There's a reason they decided to push Anya as Spider-Girl instead.

I didn't say it was a bad continuity, but it is outdated. If someone started reading it now and didn't know what year it was published, you can bet they'd be wondering where Kate, Kamala, etc are. The stories are still enjoyable if you bear in mind when they were first published.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman