Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    While it's true that we have MC2 to thank for Cassie becoming a superhero later in 616, and MCU Hope and Nadia's entire existence, and also Kevin Masterson Thunderstrike, the fact is that the divergence point would be after those missing heroes should've already been born, so they should still exist. That's what makes it outdated. If they brought it back now, those characters would need to be retconned in. There's a reason they decided to push Anya as Spider-Girl instead.

I didn't say it was a bad continuity, but it is outdated. If someone started reading it now and didn't know what year it was published, you can bet they'd be wondering where Kate, Kamala, etc are. The stories are still enjoyable if you bear in mind when they were first published.
    There's a huge number, almost every story beat to be honest. No M-Day, so Jubilee becomes a leader of the X-People, and several of Mayday's stories involved fighting mutants. Interestingly while mutants aren't persecuted, they're not particularly common.

BANNED

I didn't say it was a bad continuity, but it is outdated. If someone started reading it now and didn't know what year it was published, you can bet they'd be wondering where Kate, Kamala, etc are. The stories are still enjoyable if you bear in mind when they were first published.
    An absence of those characters does not make MC2 look "outdated"

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    An absence of those characters does not make MC2 look "outdated"
    MC2 was originally written to be "the future". As it currently stands, it's obviously an alternate timeline.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    MC2 was originally written to be "the future". As it currently stands, it's obviously an alternate timeline.
    Marvel retconned MC2 as an "alternative 90s" back in the 2000s. It went from being set in 2017 to being set in 1996

Marvel retconned MC2 as an "alternative 90s" back in the 2000s. It went from being set in 2017 to being set in 1996
    Oh I know. But it becomes more and more it's own unique thing with each passing year. It's "outdated" in that it's based on how 616 used to be rather than how it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by frogoat View Post
    Just off the top of my head, the MC2 gave us a bi-sexual Felicia Hardy...
    ?????

...redeemed Kaine...
    Huh.

...turned Galactus into a force for good in the universe and brought the original Hobgoblin back and made him a real threat all years before the 616.
    ??????

Also, Wolverine and Elektra's child is called Wild Thing.
    Mea culpa. (Also, why Wolverine and Elektra, of all people?)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Electra was briefly a regular supporting character in the Wolverine books back in the late 90s.

Electra was briefly a regular supporting character in the Wolverine books back in the late 90s.
    Yeah MC2 is based on a very specific point in 616. At some point the Hand became REALLY interested in making him work for them, and I think that's the same story line where they got together.

Interestingly, part of the backstory for Rina is that she learned to focus her powers by training with Psylocke, and that's why her claws look vaguely similar to Psylocke's psi weapons.

?????

??????
    Yeah, Felicia married and then divorced Flash and was living with her girlfriend (pretty sure they'd retcon that to wife now). And this was before Kevin Smith's reference to it in 616.

And I'm pretty sure good Kaine was in MC2 long before 616. (I only leave that open because of some reading gaps.)

Okay then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Yeah, Felicia married and then divorced Flash and was living with her girlfriend (pretty sure they'd retcon that to wife now). And this was before Kevin Smith's reference to it in 616.

And I'm pretty sure good Kaine was in MC2 long before 616. (I only leave that open because of some reading gaps.)
    Guess that stuff's out of my range of experience (course, I'm not much of a Black Cat or Kaine fan).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Amazing Member

While it's true that we have MC2 to thank for Cassie becoming a superhero later in 616, and MCU Hope and Nadia's entire existence, and also Kevin Masterson Thunderstrike, the fact is that the divergence point would be after those missing heroes should've already been born, so they should still exist. That's what makes it outdated. If they brought it back now, those characters would need to be retconned in. There's a reason they decided to push Anya as Spider-Girl instead.

Interesting that you mention Anya, because despite her appearing after the divergence point she also exists in the MC2. In fact, so do other characters such as Maria Hill because there is nothing to rule out any of the characters you mentioned existing in the MC2, it's just that they have yet to appear. As for Anya being pushed as Spider-Girl, that's really more of a case of in-house nepotism on the part of Joe Quesada et al because she keeps being used in marketing despite her own ongoings tanking fairly quickly. Also, Anya worked far better as a Latina hero called Araña than as a cookie cutter generic hero trading on Mayday's nom de guerre. It's a disservice to both characters.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The MC2 was written with the previous generation of Marvel characters having being active approximately 15 years in the past, with the MC2 heroes being set in the present on a floating timeline just as Marvel has always done with the 616.

Amazing Member

This is something people have been perpetuating online for a while now. It's based on a single panel of a single issue having a newspaper which featured the year 2017 and another issue showing 1996. These are nothing more than the letterer making an in-joke or a topical reference. Further, there are more examples that no one seems to mention, such as Last Hero Standing where a newspaper gives the date as 2015. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Amazing Member

?????

Huh.

??????

I guess because they are both people who have done some seriously bad things and would understand one another?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post

One of the BIGGEST missed chances in the original Spider-verse story was a meetup between the two Kaine (s). It’s one of my personal complaints about the overall story.