Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Happy 56th Birthday Ron Frenz!!!

http://www.comicvine.com/ron-frenz/4040-3364/

BANNED

An idea to fix Mayday post Spider-Verse.

Simply put, make it clear she isn't the 'real' Mayday. I've discussed this elsewhere but there is precedent in the Marvel Multiverse for universe numerical designations to change. It wouldn't be hard to say in the chaos of the incursions the MC2 universe got it's number changed whilst a similar universe got it's old numerical designation. The fact that Crimson Curse was alive in Secret Wars and Mayday knew Dark Devil was her cousin help this idea along (as well as MJ having natural red hair when Mr. Frenz himself has stated in MC2 continuity she dyes it).

Were I able to write the character I'd slip in one teeny, tiny detail to fix this whole thing. Back in the early days of Amazing Spider-Girl an idea knocked about was that May would cut her long hair (she let it grow whilst she 'retired' temporarily) to symbolize her getting back into the superhero business. This idea was abandoned as time passed. My idea...we do a brief flashback/mention depicting this event, and consequently reference/show scenes from ASG onwards that we've seen before...but May's hair is different. Everything in her past is the same except that which clearly conveys to the readers "This isn'tt he real Mayday"

BANNED

I don't know muc about but what sets her differently from other spidrrwoman like jessica, gwen and anya as far as unique personality traits and aspects go, or is she just a gender bent peter parker with a generic action girl design.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

My idea for the last few days has been this.

616 (or whatever we're supposed to call it nowadays LOL) - For the mainstream stuff
    Earth-65 - For the alternate versions of the stories we know - things like Spider-Gwen, Samantha T.Wilson as Captain America etc etc
    MC-2 - For the stories of what happens when the ''regular'' heroes get old and retire or have died and their kids and whatnot take over - like MayDay Parker.

Just a general idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    I don't know muc about but what sets her differently from other spidrrwoman like jessica, gwen and anya as far as unique personality traits and aspects go, or is she just a gender bent peter parker with a generic action girl design.
    It's the legacy angle.

Mayday is a mix between her mother and her father and the resemblance in personality is obvious. She has clear Spider-Man-esque stories but she does things differently. She reforms her villains more, she is more proactive, she is more of a team player. At the same time she relies more on her family. When you read Spider-Girl the intention and expectation is that you like Spider-Man and you want to see personality traits of him in her as she is his legacy, his daughter and you yourself are proud to see her live up to his mantle, whilst carving out something for herself.

In a sense she is a Spider Lady who is different to the other ones because she is comparativley more like Spider-Man than the others but its in an organic way due to the context of her series...and she's outlasted the other ones.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I want the Web Warriors team to explain in great detail on why Mayday isn't on a single cover despite being on the teams roster since #1.

Outlasted implies the others aren't around anymore, you know... Jessica, Anya and the such are still being used.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 02-03-2016 at 06:48 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    I want the Web Warriors team to explain in great detail on why Mayday usnt on a single cover despite being on the teams roster since #1.

Outlasted implies the others aren't around anymore, you know... Jessica, Anya abd the such are still being used.
    She isn't on a single cover (despite Lady Spider and Uncle Ben Spider-Man being on THREE) because:

Marvel don’t want to remind you too much that there was a Spider Baby

Marvel don’t want to remind you too much about the Spider Marriage

Marvel don’t want to remind you too much of a Spider-Girl who isn’t Anya

Marvel don’t have much respect to Tom DeFalco, the former Editor-in-Chief who’s leadership is often scapegoated for Marvel’s dire problems in the 1990s and early 2000s

Marvel don’t like Mayday

All of this despite the fact that a series about AU Spider-People in an era when Marvel have made a lot of noise about diversity would mean that putting the most popular/successful female AU Spider person who's the longest running solo female marvel character would make MORE financial sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    It's the legacy angle.

Mayday is a mix between her mother and her father and the resemblance in personality is obvious. She has clear Spider-Man-esque stories but she does things differently. She reforms her villains more, she is more proactive, she is more of a team player. At the same time she relies more on her family. When you read Spider-Girl the intention and expectation is that you like Spider-Man and you want to see personality traits of him in her as she is his legacy, his daughter and you yourself are proud to see her live up to his mantle, whilst carving out something for herself.

In a sense she is a Spider Lady who is different to the other ones because she is comparativley more like Spider-Man than the others but its in an organic way due to the context of her series...and she's outlasted the other ones.
    Why do I get the urge to want a Spider Son of Peter and a Spider Boy, Mayday being a Peter Parker clone sounds creepy and nearly not a engaging concept for me when compared to the original, it's like they copied pasted MJ's and Peter's personalities and made her a better version of them by your description. At least with a boy, he has a chance to lead the story as a coming of age version of the original and not play daddy's little angel and set him up as his own character than a clone of his father and sounds like a mary sue. Miles is the closest I'll get from this, but he's just as an introvert as Peter, I would love to have a outgoing bold and hot blooded Spider-Man for once. Spider people other than Anya are way to calm and timid.

BANNED

Why do I get the urge to want a Spider Son of Peter and a Spider Boy, Mayday being a Peter Parker clone sounds creepy and nearly not a engaging concept for me when compared to the original, it's like they copied pasted MJ's and Peter's personalities and made her a better version of them by your description. At least with a boy, he has a chance to lead the story as a coming of age version of the original and not play daddy's little angel and set him up as his own character than a clone of his father and sounds like a mary sue. Miles is the closest I'll get from this, but he's just as an introvert as Peter, I would love to have a outgoing bold and hot blooded Spider-Man for once. Spider people other than Anya are way to calm and timid.
    So a boy would be unique, and Miles is close - except being an introvert is apparently a bad thing because it negates that - but Mayday is nothing more than a genderbent clone of her father as if she were Ultimate Jessica Drew, and therefore a Mary Sue? Hmm… has anyone else been paying attention to the online collective facepalm at Max Landis calling Rey from Star Wars a Mary Sue?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    She isn't on a single cover (despite Lady Spider and Uncle Ben Spider-Man being on THREE) because:

Marvel don’t want to remind you too much that there was a Spider Baby

Marvel don’t want to remind you too much about the Spider Marriage

Marvel don’t want to remind you too much of a Spider-Girl who isn’t Anya

Marvel don’t have much respect to Tom DeFalco, the former Editor-in-Chief who’s leadership is often scapegoated for Marvel’s dire problems in the 1990s and early 2000s

Marvel don’t like Mayday

All of this despite the fact that a series about AU Spider-People in an era when Marvel have made a lot of noise about diversity would mean that putting the most popular/successful female AU Spider person who's the longest running solo female marvel character would make MORE financial sense.
    The Anya reason is outdated, but the point is that it was there at all, in which case I agree. Mayday was replaced for Anya who was replaced for Spider-Gwen. I'm not sure how much of the lack of respect for Tom DeFalco factors into this, so the biggest reason for me is simply that they don't want to remind people about the marriage. After One More Day, Mayday was cited as a way to pacify the people who Quesada knew would be angered by One More Day. And now she's gone, and the attitude has shifted towards "You need to get over One More Day!", even though the people who made One More Day and the fans who "support" it (By which I mean they're just going out of their way to avoid having to say that they just hate Mary Jane) had their own problems they couldn't get over after twenty years.
    Last edited by Phantom Roxas; 02-02-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

MayDay Parker DOES have a Brother who has Spider Powers so...

Mayday's main distinction from most other spider-women types is depth of background. She had well over 100 issues of storyline, her own fully developed villains, her own fully-developed social group. Its the same advantage that USM had - single writer's vision for a long run. Other spider types either haven't had as much development yet (Spider-Gwen) or they have been all over the map and very inconsistent with their character development (Spider-Woman).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    I want the Web Warriors team to explain in great detail on why Mayday usnt on a single cover despite being on the teams roster since #1.

Outlasted implies the others aren't around anymore, you know... Jessica, Anya abd the such are still being used.
    I want them to explain why we haven't seen the MC-2 Universe yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Mayday's main distinction from most other spider-women types is depth of background. She had well over 100 issues of storyline, her own fully developed villains, her own fully-developed social group. Its the same advantage that USM had - single writer's vision for a long run. Other spider types either haven't had as much development yet (Spider-Gwen) or they have been all over the map and very inconsistent with their character development (Spider-Woman).
    Sorry, but apparently well over 100 issues of storyline is "niche", while characters like Spider-Gwen who have had, at best, a fifth of that, are already bigger than those 100+ issues ever were. The time advantage of USM? Irrelevant, because "niche". What does "niche" mean? I don't know, I'm just saying it so you don't think she's important. Why? Um… look, just remember that she's "niche", okay? Mayday's not important because I said she isn't, and I don't have to explain anything more than that.

It does feel kinda off that Mayday, who has the record for Marvel's longest running female solo, isn't getting the same regard or attention when Marvel is heavily promoting female heroes. But I guess she's not as "new," interesting, or have the zeigeist of Silk, Spider-Woman, or Spider-Gwen. '

Guess she's in the same boat as The Wasp, but at least Mayday has Web Warriors .

BANNED

Except Spider-Woman is older than Mayday, so it's not like she can't qualify for the "All-New" angle Marvel is going for, and we have "X-Men '92".