Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Dang, I feel like someone should ask Hickman if there's any plans for Longshot and Mojoworld stuff.

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #248 Sep 1989
    "The Cradle Will Fall"
    Donald Pierce and his new compatriots, the Reavers, practice their coming attack on the X-Men.
    Meanwhile, back in Australia, Longshot dreams.
    In the state of Dreamtime, brought on by Gateway,

Longshot speaks with Storm

and tells her that he must leave the group to search for his identity.

Nanny and the Orphan Maker, knowing of the coming deadly conflict with the Reavers,
    finalize their plan to save the X-Men, quite against their will.
    They arrive at the X-Men camp and swiftly capture Psylocke, Havok and Dazzler.
    The three captured X-Men are placed in armor, designed by Nanny, which bend the X-Men against their will.
    The three are then forced to use their powers against the still free X-Men, Storm and Colossus.
    During the following conflict Havok is freed from his armor.
    Still groggy, he fires a plasma discharge at Nanny's fleeing sky ship, which crashes to the ground, exploding on impact.
    To his horror, Havok is informed that the ship carried not only the fleeing Nanny and Orphan Maker, but the captured Storm as well.
    She is found dead among the debris.

Story by Chris Claremont. Art by Jim Lee and Dan Green.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

This issue is deeply sad.

I don't understand how there are still so many readers and writers who can't see Longshot's inherent melancholy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    This issue is deeply sad.

I don't understand how there are still so many readers and writers who can't see Longshot's inherent melancholy.
    As a kid I think I must have seen it but in the same way I'd read Keats out of my father's bookcase...melancholy was an ambition I had, that it took me many decades to understand I was born with.

"Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." wrote Keats

And Lonshot, perhaps, in his beginnings with the X-Men through Inferno (that's as far as I can recall without referencing) personifies in exquistely 90's XL'eration that Romanic fall and rise from Innocence to Love to Loss to Experience to Love etc...

It's not his melancholy...it is the world's...until he becomes entwined...ashes to ashes...with world's 'experience'. And yet, his luck...endures...or does it?

Does his 'power' change? What are the consequences of his using his power? I forget really or selectively block it out. Is there a kind of Phoenix-like spiritual exchange for the spending of his good fortune...is there a debt?

Does this have anything or everything to do with his anatomy?

Is it distracting (I kind of read around this too when I was a kid) that he's so adored by all the X-ladies? That he's oblivious to it...that he's represented so hurriedly as a heartthrob, a baby, an exotic, a knowable friend, an alien, a ally...agile, acrobatic...odd yet oddly in tune with harmony and grace...outside, away and yet there at the heart of the team...often given the unique panel time of short in story soliloquy and all that these odd feels and beats, glam and God...I don't know how to sum up it all up into anything other than sort of unkniwingly knowing (them) him as a character. Or self.

This kind of thing happens with Nightcrawler, maybe Kitty, and it's there in the NM a lot too...I don't know what to call it, but it is a Claremont-ism. This thing.

Yes, this comic is deeply sad.
    Last edited by sungila; 10-14-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

BANNED

Marvel Gallery Longshot & Emma Frost Statues!
    http://marveltoynews.com/marvel-gall...black-panther/