Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

X-Factor #39 Apr 1989
    Inferno! Guest-starring the X-Men. Part 7 of 7 - "Ashes to Ashes!"
    Continued from Uncanny X-Men #243...

Mr. Sinister and the Malice controlled Polaris stand in the ruins of the X-Mansion.
    The members of the X-Men and X-Factor defeated and Marvel Girl his captive.
    The only person standing in their way is Longshot, who despite his doubts,

is able to create a distraction with his luck powers long enough for the Beast to recover and try to fight back.
    This in turn allows Cyclops to revive. Scott easily defeats Polaris and tries to turn his powers against Sinister.
    However Sinister has some form of control over him. When Rogue and Psylocke revive
    and attempt to fight Mr. Sinister, Betsy's mental attack is fended off, and when Rogue
    attempts to absorb his mind and powers, Sinister actually takes full control of her body.

During this brief possession, Cyclops sees Sinister standing over him and recalls a lost memory from his youth,
    where Mr. Sinister experimented on him as a young body. As Polaris tricks Havok into "helping" her only to bind him,
    Sinister explains that he had been manipulating Cyclops from the start. That he was in charge at the orphanage
    and stifled Scott's early powers and implanted false memories. As Havok is binded in metal by Polaris,
    he warns her that Inferno has changed him and that he is no longer afraid of using his powers.
    Sinister explains that he also attempted to manipulate Jean Grey knowing that their combined DNA would create the ultimate mutant.
    However when Jean had seemingly died, he instead cloned Madelyne from Jean's DNA in order to fullfill this purpose.
    As Scott struggles to free himself, Colossus attempts to attack and is similarly held at bay by Polaris.

As Mr. Sinister continues to explain how he manipulated Scott at a young age, Psylocke establishes a psylink between
    the scattered members of the X-Men and X-Factor, and they begin to formulate a counter attack plan.
    They note that Sinister appears to be keeping Scott under his power, as though he is afraid of Scott's powers,
    and figure that might be the key to defeating Mr. Sinister. Havok tells the others to let him deal with Scott and they launch their attack.
    As the X-Men pile on Mr. Sinister, Storm uses her wind powers to sweep up Marvel Girl and uses rain to revive her
    as the others continue to pound Mr. Sinister with their mutant abilities -- however none seem to have an effect.

As the X-Men fight on, Sabretooth comes out of the rubble of the X-Mansion
    prompting Wolverine to deal with him by impaling his rival with his claws.
    Havok goes to his brother and while taunting him for being weak begins to bombard Scott
    with his atomic energy powers, charging Scott up with a massive amount of energy.

Sinister manages to collect Marvel Girl back and begins kissing her, the final thing to push Scott over the edge.
    When the Beast pulls Marvel Girl to safety, Scott breaks through the mental barriers
    and manages to blast Sinister with a full power optic blast, seemingly destroying his enemy.

In the aftermath of the battle, Alex reports that Polaris escaped and he and Scott make amends.
    With the battle over, the X-Men depart from X-Factors company, telling Scott that they will
    continue to fight Xavier's dreams in their own way and the two groups part as friends.

Left in the rubble of Xavier's school Scott once more reflects on how he let his dead wife down so badly.
    However they all agree that they managed to save young Christopher and they will be committed to raising him together.

Story by Louise Simonson. Art by Walter Simonson and Al Milgrom.

BANNED

Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe #4 Feb 2014
    "Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe Part Four"
    The In-Betweener is split into two beings: Order, who has taken over SHIELD, turning it into an anti-magic organisation,

corrupting numerous marvel heroes along the way, and Chaos, who just wants to watch things fall apart.
    With the two split and the world altered, Longshot discovers reality is on the verge of collapsing in on itself.
    Now with the help of a demon/teddy bear named Mr. Dapples

Longshot has to save the Marvel Universe!

(W) Christopher Hastings. (A) Jacopo Camagni, Victor Calderon-Zurita and Terry Pallot.

BANNED

Longshot

by LucasAckerman

Comic Geek in General

That’s right......wasn’t Longshot shown as part of Rahne’s mourners........where was he during that Nate fracas? He could’ve landed the vital shot to shut him down....... (I still feel Nate would get up one last time, probably as the missing team returns, to try one last time, only to get blindsided by either a well aimed Optic Blast or Wolverine going Berserker.......)

Longshot needs both new book/ team to join plus a new Marvel Legend figure.......

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

A podcast about Longshot former miniseries (you may skip 5 first minutes):

http://www.viewfromthegutters.com/20...e-36-longshot/

I've not had a full listening yet, but I think it's pretty OK.

Fantastic Member

The thing I never really understood (or followed) back in the 80s was that when Longshot joined the X-Men, he was completely devoid of his memories, right? Thus a blank slate. In other words, all the experiences, memories, etc from his limited series were completely forgotten. Or did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    The thing I never really understood (or followed) back in the 80s was that when Longshot joined the X-Men, he was completely devoid of his memories, right? Thus a blank slate. In other words, all the experiences, memories, etc from his limited series were completely forgotten. Or did I miss something?
    No, you did not miss anything.

There's a huge gap between the end of last issue of the miniseries (Longshot, Rita and Quark crossed the dimensional portal to Mojoverse in order to join the guerrilla against the Spineless) and UXM Annual #10 (Longshot fell to the Danger Room through another dimensional portal). It's been never told what happened during this gap, except for a few flashes in X-Factor Annual #7, when it was revealed that Spiral and Rita were one person.

That is, it's supposed that they fought the Spineless for a while (days? weeks? months? years?), then they were defeated and Longshot's mind was wiped one more time, the same way than in the beginning of the miniseries, and he was a blank state again.

The big difference is that, while Longshot's memories were gradually (in a fragmentary way, though) coming back to him during the mini (a week, more or less), he never got to remember a thing during the year or so that he was with the X-Men. Somehow, either the second brainwashing was severer, or Longshot's mind was already a bit damaged so recovering his memory was harder. I always find kind of funny that Wolverine's memory issues are considered terribly tragic while Longshot's are considered a big joke, in spite that their backgrounds are equally dreadful.

In brief, once the X-Men get rid of Mojo they simply adopted Longshot in the team just like a pet. They were pretty busy with the Mutant Massacre back then, so they never took the trouble to find out who he was. Also, Longshot himself is not precisely the most self-centered nor anxious person in the world, so all of them kind of let this subject go by...till Longshot finally broke in UXM #248.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 06-07-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Fantastic Member

Thanks, RR! Just re-read the Limited Series and loved it. Must now re-read the Longshot issues of UXM. I feel as if Claremont could have done a lot more with him in the late 80s than just be a pretty boy pet with good luck powers. If I recall correctly, he had a limited tabula rasa personality. A shame.

So you really love the former Limited Series? Welcome to the weird side of the comics! There's room here

I do like Claremont's Longshot, too. I think it's a very good extension of the real one, even more charming --although at the expense of losing some of his bitter(sweet)ness. Former Longshot had a interesting acid trait that is Nocenti's signature, scars which were hidden even for himself: a shadow of roughness deep down his eyes, which could be disturbing. This was lost in UXM.

In my headcanon, the second mindwipping was heavier, so Longshot wasn't confused by visions or nightmares thus he showed pretty much as a loving scatterbrained.

Still, I think Claremont did a good job --for example, he kept Longshot's bluntness and his tendency to cause embarrassment with uncomfortable questions. Also he worked subjects like his sexuality. I never liked Longshot and Dazzler as a pairing, but as time went by I found that it was interesting that their relationship was purely physical. On one hand, that implied that Longshot probably had a unorthodox notion of love --he loves everybody, but no one in particular. On the other hand, Alison's possessiveness got to awaken Longshot's unsubmission to any form of private property. Even more, this relationship turns archetypical gender roles around, since it's the girl who wears the pants in every moment --and the boy doesn't feel bad about it at all.

I also think that Longshot's increasing slump since Inferno was very well handled.

Silvestri's awesome body language and refined design was much to do, too, with the construction of this slim, lively, likable Longshot.

BANNED

Ann Nocenti talks editing Marvel Comics in the 1980s!

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #245 Jun 1989
    "Men!"
    In orbit above Earth, an alien coalition prepares to launch its invasion of the planet
    as an archivist discovers humanity's success against other alien foes.

In Australia, a morose Havok observes his teammates through the town's computer system
    before getting into an argument with Storm and Wolverine over their use.
    Suspecting what worked for the women would help the men as well, Wolverine suggests a boys night out.

In space, the invasion leader is shown the Jean Bomb, a weapon in the form of a red-headed woman with the power to destroy all bonds.
    Just then, the archivist tries to warn the leader about Earth, but is gunned down for getting too close.

In Sydney, Wolverine leads the male X-Men into a bar, where Longshot proceeds to dance with all the women while the rest get drunk.
    Eventually, they're drawn outside by the sound of the invasion attacking the city.
    Most of the city's denizens seem unperturbed by the presence of the invaders,
    with the mayor even offering his seat to the leader in order to finally go on vacation.

At the bar, Colossus gets into a brawl with a group of shock troops,
    while Longshot is accosted by a team of winged female commandos

whom he eventually charms.
    Infuriated by the failures of his forces, the leader orders the detonation of the Jean Bomb

as Wolverine bluffs his way to a win in a game of poker against the strike force's commander.

Outside, the leader's ship departs as it prepares to drop the bomb, but Havok blasts it, destroying the ship and the weapon, ending the invasion.
    The X-Men return home, all the better for their night out.
    Meanwhile, in Kentucky, Tessa investigates a massacre at a Shaw Industries facility, and learns that Donald Pierce has escaped.

NOTE: This issue is a parody of the "Invasion" storyline DC did around the same time.

Story by Chris Claremont. Art by Rob Liefeld and Dan Green.

Comic Geek in General

Have they figured out where Longshot goes from here? I know he was spotted in Uncanny, but he seems to have stayed inactive during current events (like Layla Miller-Madrox and Madrox Prime) only appearing for cameos, unless he’s doing something else.....

He's the best there is at what he does, and what he does is wandering and picking junk up from the ground.

BANNED

Glad to be made aware that the X-Man Logan aka Wolverine isn't the only X-Man who is "the best there is at what he does"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    Rejected all of Exiles in your canon? May I ask why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Uh-- *ahem* Well-- Maybe because I haven't read it? Only a few issues, and I wasn't interested to be honest.

Anyway, that canon list didn't pretend to be exhaustive, just a panoramic view. For example, I should have included Mephisto vs. X-Men in 'Embraced canon', since it's there where it was stated that Longshot's got no soul (no human soul, at least).
    I wish mavel comics published a limited series that explains this.. (is it because the character is a clone-SON of the character Benjamin Russell which houses the soul of Gaveedra-Seven put there by Longshot himself in X-Force #61)?
    Would that also mean that the comicbook character of Laura Kinney clone-DAUGHTER of the comicbook character Wolverine, also has no human soul?