Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Default Loving the alien: Longshot Appreciation 2019

Once upon a time, once upon a place... A boy with no name, no past, no future --only present. Like a blank paper, people reflected their hopes, fears, desires and prejudices over him, so he was called saviour, fool, slave, alien, star, rebel, clown, messiah, freak, hero, mutant, slut... His existence was a never-ending loop of rise, fall and oblivion with only one thing for sure: he was lucky --was he?

************************************************** ********************************************

Nickname:
    Longshot

First Appearance: Longshot #1 (September, 1985)

Creators: Ann Nocenti & Arthur Adams

Height: 6'2''

Weight: 80 lbs.

Hair: Blond

Eyes: Blue

Powers, Characteristics & Abilities:

Longshot was created through genetic engineering, so he was never "born". He has only three fingers and an opposable thumb on each hand. He also has leather-like skin, hollow bones, pointed fangs and two hearts. Longshot's left eye glows brightly when he uses his superhuman powers.

He was genetically engineered and augmented by magical means to have certain abilities. He is superhumanly acrobatic (speed, agility, dexterity, flexibility, reflexes/reactions, coordination and balance) and has advanced healing abilities. The mystical augmentation gave him the ability to affect probability fields through psionic means in order to give himself "good luck" in his activities. This allows incredibly unlikely events to happen in Longshot's favor, even when Longshot does not consciously will it to do so. This luck, however, is fickle, and can backfire if he overuses it, creating an equal and opposite "bad luck" effect elsewhere, that can affect others or even Longshot himself.

Longshot can read "psychic imprints" that people leave on objects that they have handled, and thereby learn the thoughts that an individual had while handling the object (or his/her future), a phenomenon known as psychometry. He can also telepathically "read" the recent memories of a person by making physical contact with him or her.

Longshot carries cleaver-like blades, stored in a bandoleer, which he hurls with inhuman accuracy or in some cases, completely dependent upon his luck powers. He is also shown as proficient in other types of bladed weaponry.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Longshot_(Mojoverse)

************************************************** ********************************************

Estimated power grid:

Agility – 6 Superhuman [significantly beyond the natural limits of the human body]
    Durability – 4 Enhanced Human
    Energy Projection – 6 Ability to give off high levels of energy for a long period of time [probability laws handling]
    Fighting Ability – 4 Normal human with extensive combat training
    Intelligence – 2 Normal
    Mental Powers – 4 Possessing a single, strong mental ability [psychometry]
    Speed – 3 Superhuman [peak range between 111-115 hour]
    Stamina – 2 Able to sustain for 1 minute
    Strength – 2 Normal
    Reflexes – 6 Superhuman [virtually instantaneous]

X-Men characters with very outdated power grids

:-D Embraced canon: Longshot #1-6, Fantastic Four vs. X-Men #1-4, Uncanny X-Men Annuals #10-13, Uncanny X-Men #215-248, X-Factor Annual #7

:3 Sympathized canon: Ultimate X-Men #54-57, Longshot: Fools One-Shot, Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe #1-2

:-| Accepted canon: X-Factor Investigations #33-259

:-( Rejected canon: Everything else

Old threads:

Longshot has started the new year with energy, as guest star in two of the most appreciated new X-titles. In the beginning, it seems there's no relation between them, so I wonder if Longshot has got now the knack of being everywhere, since he's interacting in different arcs simultaneously.

Firstly, it's Domino #9 (December 2018), where the merc reject the surprising job of killing Longshot.

Domino #10 preview (January 2019) shows a brawl between Longshot and Domino, which ends with both of them in good terms. I like how Gail Simone sticks to Longshot's idiosyncrasy when it's Domino who saves him from death and, especially, when he has no qualm at all to throw himself on Domino's arms and to plead he's sick.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01...no-10-preview/
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 01-09-2019 at 06:05 AM.

The second title is Mr & Mrs X, no more, no less. When it was advanced that they were going to visit Mojoworld, I joked about an embarrasing situation regarding Rogue's past feelings towards Longshot and Gambit's jealousy (see X-Men #12) --funny thing, I was right.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Mr & Mrs X #7 (January 2019)

Despite Longshot looks here still a bit less slender and alien for my tastes, it's good that Oscar Bazaldua has got to draw a decent simple haircut for him (see it's not so damn difficult!) and has remembered that his eyebrows are black. Also, the elven look organically fits him great.

Actually, I don't think Rogue was ever in love with Longshot, she just wanted him so bad for a long time --perfectly understandable given her rivalry with Dazzler, her physical handicap and Longshot's particular charming. I don't know if some of these things will be addressed in following issues, it would be nice.

Also, it seems that Spiral will team with Gambit someway. Taking advantage of it and of Rogue's situation, I would love this to be a chance to approach Spiral/Rita and Longshot relationship not through a simple and repetitive fight, but in a serious 'what got wrong between us' way, something that it's never really tackled. Something about the posibility of Longshot's misconception of love --or rather Longshot's alternative conception of love, and the harm it causes around.

However, given that Longshot and Spiral are only guests in this title, I doubt they will receive so much attention. Too bad.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 01-09-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Nice to see you still fighting the good fight, Richochet Rita.

Hadn't realised Longshot was in Domino but having looked at previews I'm *not* a fan of that artwork!! Cover looks great though!

Rejected all of Exiles in your canon? May I ask why?

Have you seen the wee Longshot story in Strange Tales #3 from about ten years ago? I really loved the art!
    Last edited by Captain Buttocks; 01-09-2019 at 12:23 PM.

I have to admit that it took some adjusting on my part when Longshot joined the X-Men in Uncanny #214 but he was by no means my least favourite member of the team and he wasn't the reason I did stop reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    Nice to see you still fighting the good fight, Richochet Rita.
    Nice to see you too, my Captain, I missed you!

Hadn't realised Longshot was in Domino but having looked at previews I'm *not* a fan of that artwork!! Cover looks great though!
    It's quite ugly-ist indeed, but I don't especially dislike it.

Rejected all of Exiles in your canon? May I ask why?
    Uh-- *ahem* Well-- Maybe because I haven't read it? Only a few issues, and I wasn't interested to be honest.

Anyway, that canon list didn't pretend to be exhaustive, just a panoramic view. For example, I should have included Mephisto vs. X-Men in 'Embraced canon', since it's there where it was stated that Longshot's got no soul (no human soul, at least).

Have you seen the wee Longshot story in Strange Tales #3 from about ten years ago? I really loved the art!
    Heck yeah! It's awesome!!! I could really buy a long series and/or merchandasing based on it! It's one of the very few genuinelly longshotian visions I've read.

Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 01-17-2019 at 05:06 AM.

BANNED

Today is the third anniversary of David Bowie's death

Loving The Alien (Official Video)

Now, what do you guys think of this?

https://www.altpress.com/news/the_lo...day_new_songs/
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 01-10-2019 at 12:49 PM.

BANNED

The logo is not quite the same.

The 'S' is clearly different

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    The second title is Mr & Mrs X, no more, no less. When it was advanced that they were going to visit Mojoworld, I joked about an embarrasing situation regarding Rogue's past feelings towards Longshot and Gambit's jealousy (see X-Men #12) --funny thing, I was right.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Mr & Mrs X #7 (January 2019)

Despite Longshot looks here still a bit less slender and alien for my tastes, It's good that Oscar Bazaldua has got to draw a decent simple haircut for him (see it's not so damn difficult!)
    Yeah, much better to me than what I saw in Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe

and has remembered that his eyebrows are black. Also, the elven look organically fits him great.
    Wow! When you pointed it out I suddenly noticed it myself.

BANNED

, I don't think Rogue was ever in love with Longshot, she just wanted him so bad for a long time --perfectly understandable given her rivalry with Dazzler, her physical handicap and Longshot's particular charming.
    I really liked the trust Longshot has in Rogue as depicted in X-Men Annual #12 1988

And I also liked how Dazzler worries that after Rogue takes Longshot's memories and power, she'll know how Longshot really feels about Dazzler.

I don't know if some of these things will be addressed in following issues, it would be nice.
    The acknowledgement of the above sequence from X-Men Annual #12 1988 would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    The logo is not quite the same.

The 'S' is clearly different
    Right. I think it's funny, though.

Wow! When you pointed it out I suddenly noticed it myself.
    It may seem just a trifle, but the facial expressions changes a lot. Eyebrows are more important than you may think --for example, it's not the same arched or straight, thin or thick. Longshot has got black thick straight eyebrows, like many manga heroes.

I really liked the trust Longshot has in Rogue as depicted in X-Men Annual #12 1988
    Yeah, he's one of the very few who let Rogue do as she needs and gives himself up fearless and generously. On the other hand, it's one of the few times that Rogue gently asks for it: it's clear that she wanted the moment to be kind (part because that kiss was important for her, part because it's hard to be rude with Longshot).

And I also liked how Dazzler worries that after Rogue takes Longshot's memories and power, she'll know how Longshot really feels about Dazzler.
    If you think of it just for a moment, during Claremont's run (i.e., during the real true canon) the word 'love' is NEVER pronounced not even thought regarding this relationship, by none of two of them.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Yeah, much better to me than what I saw in Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe

In terms of artists giving Longshot a decent barnet, I was always a fan of how Valentine De Landro kept it relatively simple during the X-Factor era. Leonard Kirk did a decent job too (despite him not being, IMHO, best suited to the issues he was used on).

For fans of the classic mullet look, I do think Paul Pelletier on Exiles did a good 'classic' Longshot look. Jim Calafiore and Casey Jones (not the turtles character!) also did a decent job during Exiles.