Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Question Does Jonathan Hickman have a racist attitude towards non-mutant X-Men members

X-MEN questions answered with Jonathan Hickman! | This Week in Marvel

1:40 Should non-mutants be allowed to join the X-Men?
    1:43 Absolutely not!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

Ouch that is kind of harsh.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Someone in this forum told me about 'Prisoner X', a novel by Nocenti that I knew nothing about. I bought a used copy and it arrived home a couple of days ago.

I'm so grateful and excited, because I think I've found in a certain way Nocenti's score-settling as a compensation for that Longshot Graphic Novel/series she never got to publish.

For the first and sole time (apart from a Longshot short story for MCP), she resumed here, in 1998, her creations after the former Limited Series from 12 years before: Mojo, Major Domo, Spiral, Ricochet Rita and Longshot himself.

I'm happy that I'm verifying that my assumptions of Longshot as a character are right, since his creator refers to him with words I often use to define him: Sisyphus, errant, anarchist, holy bum... She picks up as well the idea that 'everybody has a crush on him' and 'loves him to some degree' in an impulsive way.

Also, Nocenti introduces a cool concept of Longshot having 'seven senses', that is, the common five plus lucky intuition and psychometry.

So --is this book a fanservice party to me? Sure. Why not?

EDIT: I will keep posting news as my reading progresses. It'll probably be slow, though, because English is not my native tongue (consulting the dictionary takes time) and because I'm in the bad habit of reading at least half a dozen items (books, comics, papers) all at once.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 08-02-2019 at 04:40 AM.

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #246 Jul 1989
    "The Day of Other Lights!"
    Dazzler looks into the Siege Perilous using her laser eye blasts to see what would be in store for her if she passed through the portal.
    Each image (lawyer, superhero, singer, houswife, bag lady) she see’s shows her dying in a brutal manner.
    She doesn’t believe what she is seeing as the images form of a decaying corpse which tells her that death comes to us all.
    Then as quickly as it started the images have gone and Dazzler is alone in the darkened room.
    She is so scared she is shaking and is unable to produce any light as she has been drained of energy.
    She pulls out a tape from her bag and finds a tape drive to play it on.
    She then creates light from the music and realises that her hand is bleeding where it was holding the Siege Perilous.

In New York city Nimrod breaks into a building where a gang is selling narcotics.
    The gangsters fire on Nimrod, which has no effect, and after administering a final warning, he kills them all before destroying the drugs.
    He then leaves with the money, and decides to give it back to the community.

Back in Australia Wolverine is washing when Storm interupts him.
    She confronts him about wanting to take a leave of absence.
    He tells her it is something that he has to do and has to do alone and that he will be back when he’s finished.

In Washington DC Carol Danvers, in control of Rogue's body, visits the "Wall", where the names of dead soldiers are carved in.
    She leaves her medal of honour where her little brother’s name is and apologises for not coming for a long time.
    She starts to cry, salutes and then flies off.

In Australia Longshot is watching Colossus train against Havok. Havok is really pushing himself.

He gets Longshot to throw some blades in the air which he attempts to destroy whilst avoiding Colossus attacking him.
    He misses some and gets angry with himself when a blast ricochets of Colossus and towards Longshot,

only for Longshot to dodge at the last minute.
    Dazzler turns up and gets Colossus to throw some more blades in the air

which she destroys with ease causing Havok to get slightly jealous.

In Manhattan, Senator Kelly is at the Hellfire Club talking with Sebastian Shaw
    who is enquiring funding for another Sentinel project which Kelly is oppossed to.
    The discussion is interrupted by Kelly's wife Sharon.
    Being a former waitress of the club she thought it funny to dress up once more as a maid, but the senator is shocked and slightly embarresed.

Downtown Carol leaves her old appartment and thanks the landlady for looking after her stuff.
    She then meets up with Psylocke and they talk about the problems Carol is having with 'sharing' Rogue‘s body;
    she also shows her the costume she wore as Ms. Marvel.

Further downtown Nicholas Hunter (Nimrod) is working on a construction site when he finds a small circuitry module.
    He picks it up and starts to run a scan; suddenly he reverts back to his true robotic configuration and causes near explosives to blow up.
    After the dust has cleared Master Mold appears from the rubble.

Carol and Psylocke are walking down a street when Betsy telepathically hears the screams from the workmen.
    Carol flies to the site and sees Master Mold repairing himself with the construction materials.
    Believing to be safe since the X-Men are invisible to technical scans, she attacks but is knocked away and smashes into senator Kelly’s limo.
    Senator Kelly is knocked unconsious and his wife, still in a daze, gets him out of the car, but then runs back to pull out the superhero.
    Carol's mind is unconscious and so Rogue is in control after waking up.
    She is angry that Carol made her wear the "ugly" Ms. Marvel costume.
    Sharon Kelly tries to help her free from the wreckage when Master Mold targets them.
    Rogue tells her to run and she’ll draw its fire but the robot's confused sensors lock on Sharon and shoot. Then it targets on Rogue.

Story by Chris Claremont. Art by Marc Silvestri and Dan Green.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Sean Chen!!!

Longshot (90s X-men)

Art by Sean Chen
    https://www.revolvy.com/page/Sean-Chen-%28artist%29

BANNED

Is that why Moira Mactaggart is suddenly a mutant? Someone didn't want a baseline human having close ties with human mutants?
    Last edited by Shreene; 08-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Is that why Moira Mactaggart is suddenly a mutant? Someone didn't want a baseline human having close ties with human mutants?
    A baseline human having close ties with human mutants was the best thing about old X-Men. Not understanding this is misunderstanding X-Men essential notion. Oh well...

Longshot in one of his frequent lonely inscrutable gloomy moments. This time he's beginning to feel anxious because of his lack of identity and memories.

As usual, nobody pays attention to him.

September is Longshot's month.

Happy 34th anniversary!!!

The former Limited Series in a (visual) nutshell:

https://vimeo.com/235897181

BANNED

Happy 34th anniversary!!!!!

..onward to the 35th!!!

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #247 Aug 1989
    "The Light that Failed!"
    Before it is able to deal a death-blow to a beaten Rogue,
    the Master Mold finds itself under attack by the newly arrived X-Men.

Using teamwork, the X-Men are able to apparently destroy the Sentinel,

only to realize the battle has already taken the life of an innocent; Senator Kelly's wife, Sharon.
    With little warning, the Master Mold springs back to life.
    Using newly generated defenses and weapons,

the rejuvenated Sentinel seems more than a match for the X-Men.
    Realizing that she still has the Siege Perilous in her possession, Dazzler throws the crystal amulet toward the Sentinel.
    The Siege Perilous grows to a tremendous size, large enough for the Master Mold to pass through.
    Rogue, sensing Dazzler's plan, uses her powers to push the Sentinel through the portal, but not without being dragged inside with it.
    Kelly blames mutants for his wife's death and ensures Shaw that his Sentinel project will get all required funding.
    Elsewhere the Reavers are plotting revenge on the X-Men, unaware that they are
    being watched by Nanny and the Orphan Maker, who want the X-Men for themselves.

Story by Chris Claremont. Art by Marc Silvestri and Dan Green.

Double post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 09-14-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Two Longshot drawings by Dad Adams I've recently found.

I truly adore the first one. Look at the elasticity of his limbs, and the fact that his middle/ring fingers are larger than the other ones. Only Adams considers these kind of details.

Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 09-14-2019 at 04:47 AM.

BANNED

To me it makes sense that Longshot's middle/ring finger is larger than the other two, since, in his case, the middle & ring fingers are merged as 1 finger.

To me it makes sense that Longshot's middle/ring finger is larger than the other two, since, in his case, the middle & ring fingers are merged as 1 finger.
    Actually, the Spineless (original inhabitants of the Wildways) have got three fingers and a thumb, too, just very long and thin and with three phalanges instead of two. As Arize designed the slaves taking inspiration from "devilish creatures from their collective myths" (that is, human beings who reached their dimension or had contact through astral projections or something else), the models had four fingers. Arize (or those who did the order) might find this detail too grotesque, so he merged the two central fingers in one.