Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Jim Lee puts a lot of stuff on costumes that doesn't seem to serve any purpose, either functionally or even aesthetically. Like weird collars, arbitrary lines and piping, and so on. It is possible to overwork a design, and I've seen him fall into that pitfall. Boot straps on a Green Lantern strikes me as strange and they don't look good on that character to me. That Kyle Rayner design is a few steps down from the Darryl Banks one, IMO.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 09-14-2019 at 12:27 PM.

The Banks design with the asymmetry and making it mostly black, was so friggin' cool when it first appeared. A real departure and a fairly simple graphic design. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't look good from the back - like he hadn't really thought about it from a 360 degree view. But it remains Kyle's best outfit, imo.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I think Daryl Banks original Kyle costume is one of the best superhero designed suits ever.

I always just like to stare at it when reading his run.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Jim Lee puts a lot of stuff on costumes that doesn't seem to serve any purpose, either functionally or even aesthetically. Like weird collars, arbitrary lines and piping, and so on. It is possible to overwork a design, and I've seen him fall into that pitfall. Boot straps on a Green Lantern strikes me as strange and they don't look good on that character to me. That Kyle Rayner design is a few steps down from the Darryl Banks one, IMO.
    This has been his issue whenever he's redesigned Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This has been his issue whenever he's redesigned Superman.
    I'm not saying this just to be a naysayer, but I don't think Jim Lee is that well suited to DC heroes, save for maybe Batman. This is an odd thing to say about the Publisher of the company, I know. But he made a name for himself drawing Punisher, X-Men, and Grifter. These are characters where he would add some straps, some pouch, some lines, some boot tread, or what have you, and it worked okay because of the subject matter. I don't think that school of thought is appropriate for the major DC characters, because they're not known for carrying around guns and grenades and being gritty or extreme, and he didn't seem to adjust his design approach enough to accommodate them (his Kyle Rayner design is a great example). He may not have put grenades on them, but he put other arbitrary stuff on them.

+++++

The Banks design is kind of interesting. If I were to criticize anything it is that the costume is too black. I would have done something like this, but much more refined, of course...

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    wow truly is,I Always loved how PG drew kyle

KPG.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Arisia with the mini-skirt and white top but with a domino mask looks so weird...

Oh hey, remember when Will Friedle voiced Kyle? Legitimately I think this was his last animated appearance in something.

BANNED

Arisia with the mini-skirt and white top but with a domino mask looks so weird...

Oh hey, remember when Will Friedle voiced Kyle? Legitimately I think this was his last animated appearance in something.
    Yes kyle is rarely used in media outside of DC comics even GL crossover comics tend to exclude him .

#justiceforkyle .

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Yes kyle is rarely used in media outside of DC comics even GL crossover comics tend to exclude him .

#justiceforkyle .
    The true underdog of the franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The true underdog of the franchise.
    No question Kyle is definitely the underdog when it comes to outside media. ��

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that Kyle used to be the Lantern but now he's probably used the least of all of them...except Simon.

Incredible Member

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that Kyle used to be the Lantern but now he's probably used the least of all of them...except Simon.
    I think DC fears that putting Kyle back into the spotlight might impact directly in Hal.

I doubt it. They don't seem to think putting Jessica and John into the spotlight would impact Hal. Why would they worry about Kyle. I think it's just an example of having way too many characters and not knowing what to do with most of them. That's why they randomly had Simon be the featured Lantern in that "Dear Justice League" children's book since he wasn't doing anything else.