Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I doubt it. They don't seem to think putting Jessica and John into the spotlight would impact Hal. Why would they worry about Kyle. I think it's just an example of having way too many characters and not knowing what to do with most of them. That's why they randomly had Simon be the featured Lantern in that "Dear Justice League" children's book since he wasn't doing anything else.
    Well, there is a difference between Kyle and John, Jessica, and Simon, in that the former carried a solo title for over 100 issues, and thus, putting him in a title that resembles his most successful run could be perceived as endangering DC plans for Hal. It could be a factor, especially with GL nowadays selling around 40.000 issues per month. Imagine if, somehow, a Kyle-led title sells approximately 30.000. What would that say about the current GL title?

Logically, it would say that people vote with their wallet based on the writing irregardless of who happens to be the featured character. I think fans get too caught up in the notion that certain characters are threat to others. We don't even know if there's such thing as future plans for Hal. He only appears in one monthly book that we know will end after its second "season", where he's completely isolated from the core DCU.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-22-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Kyle was on Titans - I don't know what the intentions with that was, but if he had lit up the charts on that title we would be seeing more of him. He's still totally viable and just ready and waiting for a writer to find a place for him. With all the 90's comebacks lately, this should be his time...!

BANNED

It's not just that the right writer has to come around and do something with the character. That's certainly part of the alchemy, but the primary ingredient is that the publisher has to give enough of a crap about the character to do something noteworthy with him. For example, it was editorial that wanted to bring Hal Jordan back from the dead, and with that desire already set in place, DiDio and Tomasi got Geoff Johns to do it.

I think one of the big reasons you don't see anything noteworthy done with Kyle Rayner (and other Green Lanterns), is because the publisher is so invested in Hal Jordan. I'm not saying that the publisher is "afraid" of Kyle Rayner. I doubt it. I'm also not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with the publisher's stance. It's understandable in that Hal Jordan has been the leading character of Green Lantern for a whopping 60 or so years. I don't think some fans consider the full gravity of that sometimes when moaning about their favorite characters not being the headliners of Green Lantern comics and acting like their favorite character is entitled to that for whatever reason. However, I do believe the publisher's investment in Hal Jordan plays a role in Kyle Rayner languishing in limbo, similar to how the publisher's one time investment in Kyle Rayner played a big part in Hal Jordan languishing in villainy and death.

I don't think editorial is against doing something with Kyle, just because they're more invested in Kyle, but I guess it might just need a writer who actually wants to do something with him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think editorial is against doing something with Kyle, just because they're more invested in Kyle, but I guess it might just need a writer who actually wants to do something with him.
    But the question is if not the editors then is it the higher ups who decide who gets used and how they treated.?

An example will be fans blaming didio for shiting on the wally/dick generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think fans get too caught up in the notion that certain characters are threat to others.
    Absolutely. 15 years ago DC knew that Hal and Kyle were both marketable as the titular Green Lantern. And they knew bringing Hal back onstage would work, that it would about double their sales. So there was literally no downside, no risk.

And now, the reality is - when separated from starring in a core DC Green Lantern title, neither character is really all that marketable. Hal as Spectre? Kyle as Ion or a White Lantern?

So the book is the marketable thing. Not all the alternate versions.

Sort of? I mean, Tom King put Kyle in Omega Men, but I'd bet that was editorial's idea.

They have limited resources, and somewhat limited shelf space for spinoffs . If the market says, "Fewer Green Lantern books, please", then more GLs become supporting characters in team books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    Sort of? I mean, Tom King put Kyle in Omega Men, but I'd bet that was editorial's idea.

They have limited resources, and somewhat limited shelf space for spinoffs . If the market says, "Fewer Green Lantern books, please", then more GLs become supporting characters in team books.

I will love kyle to be on a team book it beats being on the shelf or on limbo and be forgotten.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    It was totally Editorial's idea. I remember reading somewhere that King's original pitch starred a Legionnaire, but since they were, back then, being reserved for Johns, Editorial suggested Kyle.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

A team up book with Guy just seems a no-brainer to me.
    Two Honour Guards patrolling wherever they're needed opens all sort of story possibilities.
    You could pick up threads from previous GL series with the GL Black Ops team, the Spider Guild, Sodam Yat etc.
    Plus, I LOVE the way both characters bounce off one another.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Two Honour Guards patrolling wherever they're needed opens all sort of story possibilities.
    You could pick up threads from previous GL series with the GL Black Ops team, the Spider Guild, Sodam Yat etc.
    Yep a corps book is needed in my opinion with every main GL title to accompany it kyle guy and hell put Baz as well since they aren't in any book right now.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I definitely miss Kyle and Guy together.

I mean, I like Guy's buddy dynamic with John but it felt like they were trying to downplay his relationship with Kyle to make it work.

BANNED

I definitely miss Kyle and Guy together.

I mean, I like Guy's buddy dynamic with John but it felt like they were trying to downplay his relationship with Kyle to make it work.
    To tell you the truth it felt really forced for some reason.

BANNED

Been reading sinastro corps war this is my favourite part no doubt I miss those 4 together.

e03ea475a5cc1e4094c0022062ab2805.jpg