Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    BANNED

If it stabilizes in the 30,000s, which it probably will, that will be low for a Grant Morrison book on a major character like Green Lantern.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    If it stabilizes in the 30,000s, which it probably will, that will be low for a Grant Morrison book on a major character like Green Lantern.
    The worst part is that the book is not bad, but it does feel a bit "meh".

Like, for example, I really appreciate the ideas and concepts Morrison is bringing (back) such as the Sun-Eaters, Rann, and the most space-related stuff.

But on the other hand, the actual story is rather bland. It takes some of the worst elements we have seen in the last 20 years of Green Lantern and repeats them with no new spin: A Traitor in the Corps, again! Hal goes Rogue, again! It was all a plan designed by the Guardians, again! Hal dies and goes to the world inside the ring, again! Hal teams up with Ollie to stop space pirates, again!

Just when we needed Morrison to be Morrison, he seems to be writing the less Morrison-book ever.

Astonishing Member

Morrison's always been referential of classics in his hardline delve into character work. His Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman were all like that (to varying degrees of public criticism and love). The only time he wasn't really like that was his very brief Flash run where he just did funny superpowered superspeed shenanigans since Wally wasn't the "classic" one.

BANNED

I agree the green lantern really feels less "Morrison" then most of his works but maybe he's in a point in life where he doesn't want any wacky stuff and want his story to be more simple

With Morrison having his name attached to the title, I was expecting for the sales to be way higher. This is happening only in 5 issues.

I do see the title being around at 30K at the end of the year.

Incredible Member

I think the interviews and previews actually hurt the title.

First of all, Morrison never looked convinced that this was the title he wanted to write. It felt forced. Then, the art, while ok, just doesn't fit the theme. And the fact that Morrison is more often than not associated with Kyle didn't help.

It could've been bad timing. I think the sales would've been WAY higher when Rebirth started and probably had a high steady in sales units.

Unfortunately the direction that DC wanted didn't go as expected. Since Geoff Johns was one of the guys who pushed for this in Rebirth, now it looks like other GL's won't have a chance to shine in solo if Morrison's title reaches at 30K. It's very surprising to see one of the greatest higher profile writers in DC Comics to have sales that doesn't seem to meet expectations unfortunately.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm surprised by the sales numbers.
    I'm LOVING this book. Both the writing and the art.
    While, I agree that the story is nothing we haven't seen before, it's still an enjoyable read.

My hope is, it's still early days yet. Grant will at SOME stage unleash the Green Lantern Corps in all it's weirdness.
    And I really want to see a Morrison penned Kyle again.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

BANNED

I wouldn't mind seeing a Kyle solo book but being realistic the only two who I can see selling a book above cancellation numbers right now are Hal and John

Poor Kyle is already forgotten on DC Universe's site. A friend of mine pointed out to me that he's not listed in the encyclopedia section like a bunch of other characters from the GL mythos are. Aside from the other 5 Earth GLs there's separate pages for Ch'p, Arisia, Salaak, Katma Tui, Abin Sur, and Mogo, to name a few. He's is mentioned on Hal's page and Parallax's page, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    Poor Kyle is already forgotten on DC Universe's site. A friend of mine pointed out to me that he's not listed in the encyclopedia section like a bunch of other characters from the GL mythos are. Aside from the other 5 Earth GLs there's separate pages for Ch'p, Arisia, Salaak, Katma Tui, Abin Sur, and Mogo, to name a few. He's is mentioned on Hal's page and Parallax's page, though.
    You mean they put Baz in ahead of Kyle Rayner? o___O That's literally a travesty. Just straight ridiculous bias on someone's (Dan) part at DC.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 03-30-2019 at 02:17 AM.

Incredible Member

Originally posted in the Hal Jordan appreciation 2019 thread

1553981072929.jpg

Here's some better views:

No Simon, sadly.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I managed to find these screencaps from clips that had been briefly on YT.
    Last edited by Lirica; 03-31-2019 at 05:10 AM.

Yeah, Simon being continuously shafted like that is a bad look. Lantern fans always talk about their favorites being buried when they're not featured more prominently, but if there's any GL that's been legit buried it's undoubtedly Simon. Kyle and Guy at least got acknowledged here, Simon just keeps getting Superboy-Prime punched.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Baz has gotten plenty of push from DC. His debut was him taking over the GL title entirely from Hal and going over his origin in depth for 7 or 8 issues..

As well as the story playing into Geoff Johns huge climax of his entire run. And most recently co starring in his own book for 50 plus issues. That's a lot of push.

I think that he is just not very popular with the fans despite all of DC's efforts so he gets swallowed up into limbo. That's the way it goes. Sometimes characters catch on and sometimes they dont.

It's not always DC's fault that all characters aren't around everywhere.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake