Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    White Lantern Kyle was a controversy among fans what are your opinions should he stay green or turn white again?

Attachment 81541
    The problem with White Lantern is it plays into the least interesting part of Kyle's character these days. Him "struggling" with and mastering godlike power is certainly his most played out character arc at this point and the White Lantern thing seemed to be an appeasement for otherwise sidelining him. Heck, the most powerful dude around and the least useful half the time.

It also kind of hinges on and redefines Kyle by Johns' status quo (GL itself does not have to be as it predates Emotional Spectrum Power Rangers wars) which...wasn't even a good time for Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    The problem with White Lantern is it plays into the least interesting part of Kyle's character these days. Him "struggling" with and mastering godlike power is certainly his most played out character arc at this point and the White Lantern thing seemed to be an appeasement for otherwise sidelining him. Heck, the most powerful dude around and the least useful half the time.

It also kind of hinges on and redefines Kyle by Johns' status quo (GL itself does not have to be as it predates Emotional Spectrum Power Rangers wars) which...wasn't even a good time for Kyle.
    I definitely see your point. While I haven't read all of the New Guardian's stuff yet, I have read from HJatGLC and compared to pre-2004 stuff, it's not bad, but it's different... and I don't think in a 'he's grown' kind of way. It's kinda hard for me to describe. Still, I'll read pretty much anything with Kyle in it.

I'm curious: where would you have him go/do?

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but honestly I think Kyle would be a great candidate to do something nigh-unheard of since the Geoff Johns GL era started: be a full-time Earth superhero. Like, fight Earth-based villains in New York. Or uproot to Coast City. Or something.

Morrison has Hal locked up as a space cowboy for the foreseeable future, I know John is currently with the Justice League but either there or as leader of the Corps he's primarily a team-oriented guy. Jessica's in the Ghost Sector for the time being. Instead of Corps Honor Guard, or Torchbearer, or Space Jesus, or whatever, maybe Kyle could just be... a superhero.

Super-hero? Sounds refreshing. Would he be a Brooklyn hipster hanging out at the new Radu's? There could be some fun had with that. He needs to move out from the 90's and he is a Millennial after all... (or would be with the sliding timescale)

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

We’ve just avoided the danger of heroes in crisis and Kyle is again in the list to possibly be one of the six people infected by the batman who laughs.
    Hard times, my friends.

I would buy the **** outta a Kyle Rayner solo superhero book set in New York.
    Batman - Daredevil

BANNED

lets hope kyle gets a solo but first be put in a title
    Last edited by LP22; 05-04-2019 at 02:58 AM.

BANNED

At this point the only one who will have a solo is hal let's hope kyle gets to be put on a title or team book first
    I Don't know I think Dan likes kyle he was treated much better than wally when Barry returned but yes let's hope Kyle wont make a heel turn like wally did in HIC

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    We’ve just avoided the danger of heroes in crisis and Kyle is again in the list to possibly be one of the six people infected by the batman who laughs.
    Hard times, my friends.
    I wouldn't be that surprised if it was Kyle.

When fans are okay with having writers creating many many new human Green Lanterns recently, then these kind of consequences will happen.

Supporting writers creating new human Green Lanterns constantly is basically supporting the existing ones either being in limbo or facing the ax. This is just bad.

If it is Kyle, then Tom King ought to be ashamed of himself. I never liked him as a writer and probably never will. Totally uncalled for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    If it is Kyle, then Tom King ought to be ashamed of himself. I never liked him as a writer and probably never will. Totally uncalled for.
    Would be a shame since I think he wrote a pretty good Kyle in the omega men title

Would be a shame since I think he wrote a pretty good Kyle in the omega men title
    Which is why I figured he would want to follow up with Kyle's possible trauma from Omega Men in HiC. Better off that he didn't at this point, but I would love to see King return to Kyle post-Omega Men and post- HJ&tGLC. He's one of the few writers who's actually given him any thought in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I know the question wasn't directed at me, but honestly I think Kyle would be a great candidate to do something nigh-unheard of since the Geoff Johns GL era started: be a full-time Earth superhero. Like, fight Earth-based villains in New York. Or uproot to Coast City. Or something.

Morrison has Hal locked up as a space cowboy for the foreseeable future, I know John is currently with the Justice League but either there or as leader of the Corps he's primarily a team-oriented guy. Jessica's in the Ghost Sector for the time being. Instead of Corps Honor Guard, or Torchbearer, or Space Jesus, or whatever, maybe Kyle could just be... a superhero.
    It's fine! I think it can be a general question for anyone to answer. And I would love to see Kyle back as a full-time Earth superhero.

I Don't know I think Dan likes kyle he was treated much better than wally when Barry returned but yes let's hope Kyle wont make a heel turn like wally did in HIC
    It was my understanding that Didio gave the green light for Kyle to be killed when Hal came back, but Johns just didn't go for it, so it was more Johns being allowed to do what he liked rather than anything else I think.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Which is why I figured he would want to follow up with Kyle's possible trauma from Omega Men in HiC. Better off that he didn't at this point, but I would love to see King return to Kyle post-Omega Men and post- HJ&tGLC. He's one of the few writers who's actually given him any thought in the last decade.
    While I'm not up to Omega Men in my reading yet, I do know about it and tbh was expecting him to appear in HiC because of it, though I was dreading it the more that came out about it.

I have seen mixed opinions on it, though. Like it's a good story and it's great King put Kyle in a book, but to some Kyle wasn't characterized right (I guess leaning into that complaint that King molds characters to fit whatever story he's telling or something I dunno). I'll get to it and form my own opinion, but I thought it was interesting that I've seen this.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

King did a decent job with Kyle story wise but as far as characterization goes it didn't really go either way. He didn't really write Kyle with his personality out there but didn't write him out of character either.

Like he does with all characters he writes they just get stuffed into whichever narrative hes trying to push.

It might also be before he got big so he wasn't messing around as much as now so it wasn't as blatant .
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Yea, there was positive reactions with the book.