Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Always like seeing Kyle speaking Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Always like seeing Kyle speaking Spanish.
    Gotta justify that Latino status somehow .

BANNED

That always felt weirdly tacked on to me, and I just kind of ignore it. Some writers make it pretty easy to ignore. It's pretty obvious Ron Marz never intended for that, and then it was just there. It would be kinda' like if John Stewart suddenly started speaking Japanese because it's suddenly revealed his dad is half Japanese. If that were to happen, I'd just think it is bizarre.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Kyle wouldn't even know Spanish from that aspect since he just found out his father was Spanish way way late.

In GL 150 right by the whole Ion thing.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

That was retconned in Omega Men. He specifically has a family heirloom he got from his Mexican grandma.

That was retconned in Omega Men. He specifically has a family heirloom he got from his Mexican grandma.
    Wasn't it first retconned in the New 52?

I was told that I could skip to Rebirth and save Omega Men for later since it isn't really relevant outside apparently an easter egg in Green Lanterns, so tbf this will probably be ignored too unless King is writing.
    ---

spoilers:
    I feel like I'd have to read Omega Men to even begin to understand what that HiC panel was. Seemed irrelevant, but it's not as bad as some other individual panels I read, so okay then?
    Also, Kyle has no nose. Certainly not the first time this has happened.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Lirica; 05-29-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    Wasn't it first retconned in the New 52?
    I have no idea. I know Kyle's dad showed up in something Bedard wrote, but that's about it.

I have no idea. I know Kyle's dad showed up in something Bedard wrote, but that's about it.
    When Justin Jordan was the new writer in Kyle's run in New Guardians, he seemed to retcon Kyle's Mexican heritage. Aaron Rayner was white, he was not Gabriel Vasquez like what we've seen in Judd Winick's run. Tom King either ignored that fact or was too lazy to do research on the character. But I guess he used that for sales marketing, like he did with Dick's Romani heritage, and other characters.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 05-29-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Kyle wouldn't even know Spanish from that aspect since he just found out his father was Spanish way way late.

In GL 150 right by the whole Ion thing.
    Interesting, because that was all retconned in Justin Jordan's run.

I think Justin Jordan retconned it out, because many readers didn't view Kyle as a biracial character. It was very questionable at the time. Not only this, but it didn't make any sense the way Judd Winick handled it. Ron Marz never intended for Kyle to be a mixed character.

Eh. Wouldn't be the first New 52 reton to be overturned, so it doesn't really bug me.

Kyle's Spanish is like somebody plugged basic words into Google translate and said, "**** it good enough" which I guess (?) makes sense since Kyle's essentially a white guy and his Spanish is going to be terrible if he's just learning it now.
    That being said I'm pretty sure Omega Men is non-canon outside of King's work, and honestly that's probably a good thing for Kyle. It wasn't exactly the most interesting or faithful adaptation of his character

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think Justin Jordan retconned it out, because many readers didn't view Kyle as a biracial character. It was very questionable at the time.
    Maybe, but I'm not so sure about one could say either way about that, but yeah, I'm sure a lot of newer GL fans start at GL Rebirth and miss it. Funnily enough, one of the first things I learned about him was the retcon even prior to getting to Winnick's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Ron Marz never intended for Kyle to be a mixed character.
    This part I don't understand. I can understand if it just wasn't liked our it was handled poorly, but not this. There's a lot of things that happen to characters overtime that were never intended by their creators, doesn't mean it can't be done. Of course yeah there is a question of "should it be done", but I think that's less to do with the creator and just how it's handled among other things.

Incredible Member

As a South American myself, I could care less about Kyle's Latin background, and every time King writes him speaking Spanish is absolutely cringeworthy.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

I still want to see Aaron Rayner, CIA adventures and that story involving he and Hal getting the ring.

BANNED

I guess Kyle speaks Spanish only in king verse so let's just ignore it(and I'm still baffled that kyle could have been in this mess of a story)