Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Been reading sinastro corps war this is my favourite part no doubt I miss those 4 together.

Attachment 87633
    Geoff Johns was REALLY at the top of his game during this time.
    A massive, multi-issue story that was actually GOOD.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Been reading sinastro corps war this is my favourite part no doubt I miss those 4 together.

Attachment 87633
    Same here .

Not to mention the fight with Sinestro at the end .

To tell you the truth it felt really forced for some reason.
    Because it was. John and Guy were supposed to be best friends under Peter Tomasi. But his handling on the dynamic with those characters wasn’t handled well imo. They never seemed like best friends to me. Probably the only interesting dynamic I’ve seen with those two characters was when John guest starred in Red Lanterns and Lost Army.

edit: I typed with my phone

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Because it was. John and Guy were supposed to be best friends under Peter Tomasi. But his handling on the dynamic with those characters wasn’t handled well imo. They never seemed like best friends to me. Probably the only interesting dynamic I’ve seen with those two characters was when John guest starred in Red Lanterns and Lost Army.
    I liked how Venditti handled their dynamic but it did annoy me how much they downplayed Kyle and Guy's relationship to do it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I liked how Venditti handled their dynamic but it did annoy me how much they downplayed Kyle and Guy's relationship to do it.
    True but at least we got great dynamic between Hal and Kyle.

Extraordinary Member

Does Kyle speak spanish

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    What do Simon and Kyle have in common? Being the "special snowflake" made from an unlikely choice under extreme circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Does Kyle speak spanish
    I honestly can't recall a single panel where Kyle spoke Spanish.

Makes me wonder if they might emphasize that more in a media adaption like they do with Blue Beetle.

Extraordinary Member

What do Simon and Kyle have in common? Being the "special snowflake" made from an unlikely choice under extreme circumstances.

Makes me wonder if they might emphasize that more in a media adaption like they do with Blue Beetle.
    well we know Jamie is raised in that kind of household

I dont know how Kyle Lives when he is of duty

BANNED

He did in omega men and heroes in crisis both are tom king comics

5872753-he speaks spanish as well!.jpg

D7vEETjXYAANeSv.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Does Kyle speak spanish
    Pretty much only when Tom King writes him tbh

I wouldn't mind if it's ever emphasized in a media adaption. I just prefer that it's incorporated through the 'meeting his father as an adult and wants to learn more about him and that side of his family' angle.

This is one of my problems with people using Kyle as some kind of 'representation'. The Hispanic influence was a retcon. He didn't know his father, he wasn't raised Hispanic. it was never a part of his character. His mother was Irish. He was young. He was an artist. He was 'hip' and creative... but Hispanic? That didn't become a thing until someone MADE it a thing...

For PoC looking for a character to represent their culture and attitudes... Kyle was never it.

BANNED

I always disliked that retcon and I try to ignore it as best I can. Hispanic superheroes are fine and dandy, but putting that on a well established character that wasn't meant to have it is...strange, intrusive, and kind of lazy, especially when he's retconned as a Spanish speaker. That wasn't Kyle's upbringing and to suggest it was is just doing a disservice to the character. It's just another example of when representation goes wrong. Some act like ALL diversity is GOOD diversity, but that isn't really the case. People often do dumb stuff in the name of seemingly noble causes. The best thing to do would be to create a new hispanic character, or make better use of ones that were already available.

^ That's pretty much why I dislike King's interpretation of "remembering" Kyle's half Mexican.

I know not everyone likes the retcon, but personally, I don't mind it. I don't really recall Winnick trying to play it like oh hey he's half Latino and can now suddenly speak fluent Spanish (though it has been a while tbh). I can believe Kyle having lived in LA and NYC may know some Spanish words, though, but that's it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I always disliked that retcon and I try to ignore it as best I can. Hispanic superheroes are fine and dandy, but putting that on a well established character that wasn't meant to have it is...strange, intrusive, and kind of lazy, especially when he's retconned as a Spanish speaker. That wasn't Kyle's upbringing and to suggest it was is just doing a disservice to the character. It's just another example of when representation goes wrong. Some act like ALL diversity is GOOD diversity, but that isn't really the case. People often do dumb stuff in the name of seemingly noble causes. The best thing to do would be to create a new hispanic character, or make better use of ones that were already available.
    That what I feel about Dick grayson being Romanian