Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
    BANNED

well just read doomsday clock and I won't spoiler it for you but there was a picture of the earth's Green Lanterns and guess who got left out....

DC and their typical shameful and disrespectful treatment of Kyle is so ugly and frustrating I really see DC kill Kyle in the next year or two being a Kyle fan is suffering.

I don't think Simon made an appearance, either.

That's what happens when you create more and more Green Lanterns. There will be consequences, which is unfortunate.

Unfortunately I'm not surprised about Kyle not showing up in Doomsday Clock(not that the Lanterns who appeared did anything noteworthy in the story), though I'm surprised that Johns didn't have Simon show up given that he created him. He created Jessica too and she was there.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-23-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not surprised about Kyle not showing up in Doomsday Clock(not that the Lanterns who appeared did anything noteworthy in the story), though I'm surprised that Johns didn't have Simon show up given that he created him.
    I'm more surprised with Simon than Kyle not showing up in book by Geoff Johns.

I think the reason why Kyle isn't used as much is because DC already found their "quota", which is Jessica Cruz. She will always be the preferred choice over Kyle among the DC offices, due to race and gender.

I never depicted Kyle as a half Hispanic character. And many others didn't even after Judd Winick introduced it. It seemed like that never existed (among other developments that happened in that run), especially after Justin Jordan done away with it. I always thought he was white. It only got reintroduced again when Tom King started writing Kyle, who tends to do that with other characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I'm more surprised with Simon than Kyle not showing up in book by Geoff Johns.

I think the reason why Kyle isn't used as much is because DC already found their "quota", which is Jessica Cruz. She will always be the preferred choice over Kyle among the DC offices, due to race and gender.

I never depicted Kyle as a half Hispanic character. And many others didn't even after Judd Winick introduced it. It seemed like that never existed (among other developments that happened in that run), especially after Justin Jordan done away with it. I always thought he was white. It only got reintroduced again when Tom King started writing Kyle, who tends to do that with other characters.
    I don't think it's about race or ethnicity but just writers who grow up on Hal and try to put the spotlight on their creations for the Lanterns mythos kyle is the forgotten child and I'm surprised Dan didio didn't put him on the chopping block when heroes in crisis happened hopefully a writer who loves and respects kyle will be given the opportunity to write him one day as well as an editor who's a fan,until then kyle will be kept being mistreated both on comics and outside media.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    I don't think it's about race or ethnicity but just writers who grow up on Hal and try to put the spotlight on their creations for the Lanterns mythos kyle is the forgotten child and I'm surprised Dan didio didn't put him on the chopping block when heroes in crisis happened hopefully a writer who loves and respects kyle will be given the opportunity to write him one day as well as an editor who's a fan,until then kyle will be kept being mistreated both on comics and outside media.
    Regarding the outside media thing, Kyle Rayner's origin isn't easily suited to adaptation if one wants to do Green Lantern. I mean, it can be done, but you would be making a conscious choice to more or less throw everything about Green Lantern away and start where there is only this one guy. That would just be a strange way to adapt it, in my opinion, considering one of the hallmarks of Green Lantern is the Green Lantern Corps. I guess it can work well for smaller scale stuff like Smallville, but for something bigger, it seems to me that doing the Kyle Rayner thing wouldn't be taking full advantage of the concept, if the adaptation would mirror the comics.

That said, I think the original Parallax is the strongest villain Green Lantern has, by a country mile, and strong villains are things Green Lantern seriously lacks.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 12-28-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Regarding the outside media thing, Kyle Rayner's origin isn't easily suited to adaptation if one wants to do Green Lantern. I mean, it can be done, but you would be making a conscious choice to more or less throw everything about Green Lantern away and start where there is only this one guy. That would just be a strange way to adapt it, in my opinion, considering one of the hallmarks of Green Lantern is the Green Lantern Corps. I guess it can work well for smaller scale stuff like Smallville, but for something bigger, it seems to me that doing the Kyle Rayner thing wouldn't be taking full advantage of the concept, if the adaptation would mirror the comics.

That said, I think the original Parallax is the strongest villain Green Lantern has, by a country mile, and strong villains are things Green Lantern seriously lacks.
    See, I don't know. I think if handled well, it would be an excellent way to launch a franchise.
    The new guy gets a magic ring and learns along with the audience. Kyle defeats the entity that almost destroyed the Corps, Parallax. Once he discovers the history and lore, the other elements can be introduced.
    Hal, Guy, John and GLC and Guardians and Sinestro.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    The new guy gets a magic ring and learns along with the audience.
    To this day, I think that was probably the strongest aspect of Kyle's run. He offered a clean slate in every possible way. Those early issues of his run were clearly meant to put him in the audience's place where he was just as clueless about the history of the Corps as the new audience that picked up his book was. That's a perfect model for the TV show. Kyle's origin can be done without necessarily changing anything, he gets handed the power ring, learns how to use it for good and eventually learns why he's the only GL left. Given Geoff Johns' involvement, if the show is indeed about Kyle, you can bet he would bring the "torchbearer" thing to the forefront.

To this day, I think that was probably the strongest aspect of Kyle's run. He offered a clean slate in every possible way. Those early issues of his run were clearly meant to put him in the audience's place where he was just as clueless about the history of the Corps as the new audience that picked up his book was. That's a perfect model for the TV show. Kyle's origin can be done without necessarily changing anything, he gets handed the power ring, learns how to use it for good and eventually learns why he's the only GL left. Given Geoff Johns' involvement, if the show is indeed about Kyle, you can bet he would bring the "torchbearer" thing to the forefront.
    Yeah, this is why I could see them making him the lead of the TV Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, this is why I could see them making him the lead of the TV Show.
    Makes perfect sense. Contrary to popular belief, not all Hal Jordan fans disdain the idea of Emerald Twilight being adapted in other media. What I think they disdain is the idea of adapting the story purely for the sake of replacing Hal without establishing any emotional connection between him and the audience prior to that. Which would actually be smart if that's what the writers and producers are going for. If they want to make people care about another character, why would they make them care about Hal first. In my perfect vision, it would be like an anthology series. You can have one main character for the first season, then other(s) in the second and beyond. but WB obviously won't let them use any character they want.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-29-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Makes perfect sense. Contrary to popular belief, not all Hal Jordan fans disdain the idea of Emerald Twilight being adapted in other media. What I think they disdain is the idea of adapting the story purely for the sake of replacing Hal without establishing any emotional connection between him and the audience prior to that. Which would actually be smart if that's what the writers and producers are going for. If they want to make people care about another character, why would they make them care about Hal first. In my perfect vision, it would be like an anthology series. You can have one main character for the first season, then other(s) in the second and beyond. but WB obviously won't let them use any character they want.
    I'd only care to see Emerald Twilight adapted if they planned to adapt Rebirth too.

I confess that I chose Kyle as my entry point because it was realy new reader-friendly (and because it was a 90's book and I was in a streak after Wally's Flash). So I can see why they would go with him.