Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, we're still not sure if this is a true "Golden Age Justice Society of America" yet because some minor things are still a bit off. (Like Starman was Hourman's replacement in the JSA, and Wildcat's first appearance in an All-Star Comics' JSA story was three issues after Sandman's and Doctor Fate's last Golden Age appearances in JSA stories.
    Plus, Doctor Fate had already switched to his half-helmet look for JSA stories in the same issue when Starman became a member.) Now, whether DC is just retooling the past, or going with more "iconic looks" for characters, or whatever is going on, who knows?
    I'm with the Major on this one. While I'm excited to see a familiar version of the Society again, there are team lineup and costume inconsistencies that do not line up with much of the old continuity. That being said, DC after Roy Thomas has ALWAYS had a spotty history getting the JSA's era appropriate costumes correct (biggest offenders: Hawkman, Sandman and Dr. Fate) so maybe this is just more of the same?

Still, it is good to tentatively have the first super-team gracing the pages of a monthly mag once again.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Still, it is good to tentatively have the first super-team gracing the pages of a monthly mag once again.
    Yep, ever since last year's Scooby-Doo! Team-Up #39.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post

Totally missed that one...Thanks, Electricmastro, I'll track down a copy of this and give it a good read!

This is the story that gave Alan Scott the idea to start hanging with Streak the Wonder Dog who ended up stealing the strip from him.

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, we're still not sure if this is a true "Golden Age Justice Society of America" yet because some minor things are still a bit off. (Like Starman was Hourman's replacement in the JSA, and Wildcat's first appearance in an All-Star Comics' JSA story was three issues after Sandman's and Doctor Fate's last Golden Age appearances in JSA stories.
    Plus, Doctor Fate had already switched to his half-helmet look for JSA stories in the same issue when Starman became a member.) Now, whether DC is just retooling the past, or going with more "iconic looks" for characters, or whatever is going on, who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    I'm with the Major on this one. While I'm excited to see a familiar version of the Society again, there are team lineup and costume inconsistencies that do not line up with much of the old continuity. That being said, DC after Roy Thomas has ALWAYS had a spotty history getting the JSA's era appropriate costumes correct (biggest offenders: Hawkman, Sandman and Dr. Fate) so maybe this is just more of the same?

Yes, I've noticed the inconsistancies:
    - Hourman, Green lantern and Flash should be absent because they were replaced by Starman, Dr Midnite and Johnny Thunder (in All-Star 06 and 08).
    - Dr Fate should be wearing his half-helmet.
    - Hourman has never worn a Spectre-like hood.
    - Hawkman is wearing the wrong helmet.
    - Sandman should be in his purple/golden uniform.
    - The absence of several other JSAers including Wonder Woman (i guess they'll show up later).
    Until we are told otherwise, i'll assume this untold story happens between two issues of All-Star comics.
    But to be honest, i find these minor retoolings a lot less dramatic than the post crisis/ pre flashpoint retcons, heck, even Roy Thomas's All Star Squadron was filled with retcons.
    Last edited by dr-brainwave; 08-31-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Costuming issues aside, I maintain the JSA had never faced anything like the Justice/Doom conflict and other heroes showing up when tings got that bad makes a lot of sense.

Wonder Woman (and Black Canary) showing up would be a statement as to what DC is going to do with the JSA and a single scene last page appearance serves as more of a tease than an overall explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by dr-brainwave View Post
    . . . The absence of several other JSAers including Wonder Woman (i guess they'll show up later)...
    "Wonder Woman" hasn't been a member of the 1940s JSA as a result of combining the Earths after CoIE (back in 1986); unless the JSA is on a separate Earth from the Justice League, having "Wonder Woman" in their membership is unlikely (unless they want to bring back the John Byrne Hippolyta-retcon).
    As for a "Black Canary", she's also unlikely if the JSA is from the same Earth as the JL unless they suddenly revive the idea of a mother / daughter pair of Black Canaries or make a "Golden Age Black Canary" someone other than current Dinah's mother.
    The fact that Geoff Johns was mucking around with when Superman 1st arrived on Earth (over in Doomsday Cl*ck) does seem to make it less likely that we'll see a TRUE, COMPLETE restoration of the Golden Age JSA on Earth-2, but who knows what the final outcomes of that and "Justice Doom War" could eventually lead to.

So I was reading the story from All-Star 7 where the JSA raises $1,000,000 for war orphans. I can't be the only person to seetis, but the Atom raised his money by busting crooks who were fixing sporting events and betting on a fixed outcome while the Spectre raise half of his money by fixing a sporting event (horse race) and betting on it.

And they called Batman when they needed money.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr-brainwave View Post
    Yes, I've noticed the inconsistancies:
    - Hourman, Green lantern and Flash should be absent because they were replaced by Starman, Dr Midnite and Johnny Thunder (in All-Star 06 and 08).
    - Dr Fate should be wearing his half-helmet.
    - Hourman has never worn a Spectre-like hood.
    - Hawkman is wearing the wrong helmet.
    - Sandman should be in his purple/golden uniform.
    - The absence of several other JSAers including Wonder Woman (i guess they'll show up later).
    Until we are told otherwise, i'll assume this untold story happens between two issues of All-Star comics.
    But to be honest, i find these minor retoolings a lot less dramatic than the post crisis/ pre flashpoint retcons, heck, even Roy Thomas's All Star Squadron was filled with retcons.
    Writers in recent decades have portrayed the JSA's WW2 lineup as more fluid than seen in the comics, so this is nothing new. Heck, if we were to go by the original books, Wildcat shouldn't even be here. I also recall a story in Johns' JSA run where Sandy the Golden Boy is saved by the JSA and Sandman is wearing the gas mask and suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Writers in recent decades have portrayed the JSA's WW2 lineup as more fluid than seen in the comics, so this is nothing new. Heck, if we were to go by the original books, Wildcat shouldn't even be here. I also recall a story in Johns' JSA run where Sandy the Golden Boy is saved by the JSA and Sandman is wearing the gas mask and suit.
    It seems restrictive to assume the JSA would only have the members from the All-Star Comics stories at the time of the story. Assuming canonical references only, the teaming of JSA members with non-members in All-Star Squadron gives us evidence heroes teamed despite specific membership rosters. As for costumes, I can fan-wank a feeling that artist's errors in drawing costumes can be explained by multiple costumes that don't all match. Also, for Sandman, my liking the gasmask and suit more than the spandex easily drowns out any timing issues with changing costumes.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It seems restrictive to assume the JSA would only have the members from the All-Star Comics stories at the time of the story.
    I agree, but that's how Roy Thomas handled it in A-SS.

Assuming canonical references only, the teaming of JSA members with non-members in All-Star Squadron gives us evidence heroes teamed despite specific membership rosters. As for costumes, I can fan-wank a feeling that artist's errors in drawing costumes can be explained by multiple costumes that don't all match. Also, for Sandman, my liking the gasmask and suit more than the spandex easily drowns out any timing issues with changing costumes.
    My post wasn't meant as a complaint, just an observation. I also prefer Sandman's pulp look and have no problem with using popular characters like GL, Flash, and Wildcat when they "shouldn't" be around.

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

JUSTICE LEAGUE #38 cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

Can't believe I never thought of this until now, but why was Aquaman never part of the original Justice Society?

Can't believe I never thought of this until now, but why was Aquaman never part of the original Justice Society?
    Aquaman and Green Arrow were introduced in the same issue. I'd assume that Aquaman was considered on a level with Green Arrow and if a team was selected, it may have been the Seven Soldiers. But it's also possible writers were reticent to try and find ways to keep Aquaman connected with a team as he is a water breather. Aquaman maintained a strip through the fifties and gained more fame with his cartoon series in the sixties.

I don't know if a Golden Age Aquaman is in DC's plans, but the Justice league story going on now may have clues.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Aquaman and Green Arrow were introduced in the same issue. I'd assume that Aquaman was considered on a level with Green Arrow and if a team was selected, it may have been the Seven Soldiers. But it's also possible writers were reticent to try and find ways to keep Aquaman connected with a team as he is a water breather. Aquaman maintained a strip through the fifties and gained more fame with his cartoon series in the sixties.

I don't know if a Golden Age Aquaman is in DC's plans, but the Justice league story going on now may have clues.
    I find it interesting that it took that long for his fame to build up compared to the others. It took more than after 20 years after he was created for him to receive his own self-titled solo series in 1962, which was also two years after he joined the Justice League.