Page 65 of 76 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Sapna can diaf.
    Illyana becoming a teacher is 110% legit. Sapna’s end was just weird, but that’s true of etrxaordinary in general. It just kind of ended awfully.

But I think both rasputins could do being shown more as mentors and doing great at it because of their personalities and pasts. Kind of a shame that hasn’t happened for Illyana since.

Extraordinary Member

In my opinion, the reason the Sapna story ultimately didn't work is because no connection was made with Illyana's childhood. Well's New Mutants run began with her freaking out after seeing a missing poster for a 7-year-old girl because it brought back memories of her own abduction at that age. In the teamup issue with Kitty where they met and rescued Bo, Bendis conveyed so much in three simple words: 'How many sleeps?' With that alone the fact that Illyana understood what Bo was going through because she had gone through the same thing herself was made clear.

When it came to Sapna there was none of that. There was no parallel drawn between Sapna being taken to Limbo and Illyna being taken to Limbo, no worry on Illyana's part about possibly leading Sapna on the same dark path she walked, not even a worry if she was qualified to teach magic to anyone else. It was as if her childhood in Limbo never happened. That 'I see myself in you' aspect was necessary, but the closest it came to being shown was when Illyana gave Sapna her old New Mutants uniform. That should have been a defining character moment, the moment when Illyana got over her doubts about taking on an apprentice. But those doubts never existed in the first place because her own apprenticeship was never mentioned. And when Sapna became possessed and Illyana was forced to kill her, there are 2 aspects that were missing - that she had not grown from the time she had no choice but to kill Cat and Ororo to save them, and that she had failed at being a better teacher than Belasco.

These are the elements that would have taken a forgettable story and turned it into one of the character's defining arcs.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    In my opinion, the reason the Sapna story ultimately didn't work is because no connection was made with Illyana's childhood. Well's New Mutants run began with her freaking out after seeing a missing poster for a 7-year-old girl because it brought back memories of her own abduction at that age. In the teamup issue with Kitty where they met and rescued Bo, Bendis conveyed so much in three simple words: 'How many sleeps?' With that alone the fact that Illyana understood what Bo was going through because she had gone through the same thing herself was made clear.

When it came to Sapna there was none of that. There was no parallel drawn between Sapna being taken to Limbo and Illyna being taken to Limbo, no worry on Illyana's part about possibly leading Sapna on the same dark path she walked, not even a worry if she was qualified to teach magic to anyone else. It was as if her childhood in Limbo never happened. That 'I see myself in you' aspect was necessary, but the closest it came to being shown was when Illyana gave Sapna her old New Mutants uniform. That should have been a defining character moment, the moment when Illyana got over her doubts about taking on an apprentice. But those doubts never existed in the first place because her own apprenticeship was never mentioned. And when Sapna became possessed and Illyana was forced to kill her, there are 2 aspects that were missing - that she had not grown from the time she had no choice but to kill Cat and Ororo to save them, and that she had failed at being a better teacher than Belasco.

These are the elements that would have taken a forgettable story and turned it into one of the character's defining arcs.
    I don’t disagree. It could have been done a lot better.. but also, that was true of the book in general. It had a cool concept of Illyana doing something awesome (porting the school to Limbo and basically taking charge of keeping everyone safe in so doing), but it just didn’t do a great job of executing what it set up.

A really shame Bo wasn’t more of a thing either—a very cool character concept and meeting with kitty and Illyana and it just.. had no follow through. And while it works on its own, it’s a shame it didn’t lead anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    new cover variant
    Wow! I really like this variant. (Wish it was the story or a story, maybe it is a story, this conflict, wow, Magik vs. Magnets...not to mention, these two after all and everything and even in this new Dawn!)

I really like this mirroring
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

oh, wow, REIS!

she killed the cautionary tale
    Last edited by sungila; 11-11-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”

Hello Everyone,

Magik had many fun moments in the first issue! The coffee scene was popular! However, I enjoyed her other scenes as much.

Interested in how her status as a Great Captain unfolds. Also, I read that one of the variants featuring her is on backorder while issues with the main cover are still available. Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Gillen's Magik did not work for me. Wells crushed it...Gillen was just kinda there.

However, I will give Gillen credit for "there are no snowflakes in hell". Smart!
    My favorite Illyana thing under Gillen was when Danger was analyzing her situation. THAT was highly entertaining for me.

I met Chris Bachalo this weekend at Minneapolis GalaxyCon. Was a cool experience and I showed him my Magik tattoo. He took some pictures and said it was one of the highest compliments an artist could receive. He was super cool and I'd recommend taking the time to meet him if he's ever at a convention near you!

Also said he should work on a Illyana/Doctor Strange book and he was all about it. He said I should email CB and try and make it happen! LOL

Extraordinary Member

I just found what might be the most outlandish off-the-wall fanfic with Illyana where she fights and then dates the Smallville version of Clark Kent. I just read Superman awkwardly explaining to Colossus that he was dating his little sister, and all I can think is 'who the heck would ever think of pairing these characters? Why and how is this a thing?' The story itself is not bad. It's just so 'what the heck is this? I couldn't not comment on it. Also the timing with her aging in Limbo makes it even more weird, like ... this is wrong, Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I just found what might be the most outlandish off-the-wall fanfic with Illyana where she fights and then dates the Smallville version of Clark Kent. I just read Superman awkwardly explaining to Colossus that he was dating his little sister, and all I can think is 'who the heck would ever think of pairing these characters? Why and how is this a thing?' The story itself is not bad. It's just so 'what the heck is this? I couldn't not comment on it. Also the timing with her aging in Limbo makes it even more weird, like ... this is wrong, Clark.
    Yeah, if she's gonna be paired with any of the fellas in the DCU, its gonna be Ultra Boy.

jk

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I met Chris Bachalo this weekend at Minneapolis GalaxyCon. Was a cool experience and I showed him my Magik tattoo. He took some pictures and said it was one of the highest compliments an artist could receive. He was super cool and I'd recommend taking the time to meet him if he's ever at a convention near you!

Also said he should work on a Illyana/Doctor Strange book and he was all about it. He said I should email CB and try and make it happen! LOL
    So awesome pandafarmer!!! I'm sure CB would be all about it but I'm not sure that has anything to do with anything that could or would ever happen. BUT SO AWESOME!!! Hopefully Illyana will have a stronger presence in the Strange books and a more fluid role in Marvel books moving forward. There must be and needs be some mutants who exist outside the confines of Krakoa...who 'do stuff' on their own and with their own agency...who better than Illayna.

Now I want a Illyana tattoo...or the, um, the essence of one...

What are the most iconic symbols for Illyana? Think symbols and color and art.

To begin: A flaming snowflake would be totally lame.

Thinking about romantic pairings for Illyana always makes me hopeful that her pairings be her own thing and true to her, maybe we never know, maybe they're random or mistakes or different than the definitions of what's called sexual or intimate...maybe for her...maybe there are pairings that aren't binary...

It's kind of nice, for me, to think her secret intimate private late-adolescence and sexual exploration could be as limitless and difficult to master as her teleportation power...and as off panel and in between as her (_____) space and time between here and there.
    Last edited by sungila; 11-12-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Now I want a Illyana tattoo...or the, um, the essence of one...

What are the most iconic symbols for Illyana? Think symbols and color and art.

To begin: A flaming snowflake would be totally lame.
    The various Soulsword designs and/or the Bachalo head spikes are the most iconic Illyana symbols that I can think of, unless the Limbo arm or even the Darkchylde shapes appeal more. A silhouette with goat legs and horns might not read very Illyana though, but the spiky arm could potentially be worked into an I or other symbol perhaps.

You could definitely work the head spikes and an abstracted head shape into a cool, simple design.

I was super fan of The New Mutants book by Chris and Bill when it was on stand at the time (yes, I'm old). Magic was my favorite NM character at the time. And I was very, very upset when Louise Simonson de-aged her, and more upset when Lobdell killed her.

This new New Mutants book has a little something of Bill Sienkiewicz, and I'm so glad that Magik is (indeed) a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    The various Soulsword designs and/or the Bachalo head spikes are the most iconic Illyana symbols that I can think of, unless the Limbo arm or even the Darkchylde shapes appeal more. A silhouette with goat legs and horns might not read very Illyana though, but the spiky arm could potentially be worked into an I or other symbol perhaps.

You could definitely work the head spikes and an abstracted head shape into a cool, simple design.
    I was thinking more abstractly maybe...maybe soul armor! That's something...maybe a bit of armor on the arm...I don't know Jumpyshark.

Soul armor. Silver or black?