Page 47 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipitus View Post
    Well said. Bendis tends to ignore any continuty he did not write. Or he just has not read many comic books before becoming a comic book writer.
    Bendis has read a lot of comics. He's very well read in that regard. Continuity just isn't something he values highly, and he seems to often have a different view of what counts as consistency. But he has done the reading.

His version of Magik was horrible. The "apology" to Colossus in the woods at end of Bendis' run, after Illyana tricked him to becoming Juggerlossus
    I do agree that that was an unearned moment that just felt regressive. I think Colossus suffered as much, or more, from that happening.

After Gillen's run, I get annoyed anytime Colossus calls Magik "snowflake".

Then Magik screws her brother, who always cared and looked out for) her, on the roof the night before the wedding.
    Well, sounds incest-y. And also the wedding was, Guggs, well after Bendis left, so doesn't seem right to blame him.

BANNED

Didn't Guggo get overruled re: the wedding? I bet there's a BTS story there.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Didn't Guggo get overruled re: the wedding? I bet there's a BTS story there.
    Googam was like WEDDING and new Destiny Child Donny Cates was like WHAT IF THOSE TWO ACCENT PEOPLE MARRIED INSTEAD??? And Cebulski was like "Wow! Great thinking, Donny!" and then he stabbed Guggs with a chokutō.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Sam Humphries said that he based StarKat on his relationship with his then girlfriend. A lot of bad **** happened with Marvel so he torched that relationship but he did marry his girlfriend.
    BOB HARRAS: Ha ha, got anotha one! Nailed it!

BOB HARRAS: So Sam... I know you can write them good comics and all... but... would you like to host our TV show? Ha ha, just kidding... unless?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Googam was like WEDDING and new Destiny Child Donny Cates was like WHAT IF THOSE TWO ACCENT PEOPLE MARRIED INSTEAD??? And Cebulski was like "Wow! Great thinking, Donny!" and then he stabbed Guggs with a chokutō.
    As one does

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Bendis has read a lot of comics. He's very well read in that regard. Continuity just isn't something he values highly, and he seems to often have a different view of what counts as consistency. But he has done the reading.

I do agree that that was an unearned moment that just felt regressive. I think Colossus suffered as much, or more, from that happening.

After Gillen's run, I get annoyed anytime Colossus calls Magik "snowflake".

Well, sounds incest-y. And also the wedding was, Guggs, well after Bendis left, so doesn't seem right to blame him.
    Ugh, that's why I hate posting things on my phone. That does sound creepy. I meant: "Magik screwed Peter over, yet again, talking to Kitty on the roof the night before the wedding". Smart phone run on sentences, my bad.

And I am aware Bendis did not write all the instances I mentioned earlier, I should have been more clear. But he did start the movie version of Starlord/comic book Kitty romance.
    Last edited by Omnipitus; 09-13-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: For clarity (go figure...)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I get that, yet it still smacks of Bendis OC to me. How did Kitty and Quill break up? (Also, thank god they broke up. I am no fan of Kitty and Piotr in the modern era either) Or just spill on the bad ****.
    They broke up off-panel twice. Once because Star-Lord was too busy running the Spartax empire. The second time, depending on which book you were reading, they either broke up because a long distance relationship didn’t work or because Star-Lord is a terrible person who regularly mistreated Kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    I interpret it as Illyana 2.0 choosing to appear to be as old as seems convenient, to have horns, tail, hooves etc when she wants.

Hell Lords are immortal, so from the instant she defeated Belasco and gained Dominion over Limbo, she's been unaging, and just uses cosmetic spells to appear to. (See the Enchantress's failed attempt to age Magik during the Asgard adventure.)
    The payment of a 'terrible price' is a theme in Illyana's story. She gave 10 years to take the hand out of limbo. (becoming the hand from Limbo)

Bendis talked about writing Magik's absent adolescence in his UXM run. He spoke about feeling put off by fan's expectations/speculations that she be paired with somebody in a relationship, in his own sensitive way, he challenged his 'feelings' and sketched through the vague intuitions he felt to find an incredible story of 'broken' containers...it's amazing really...think about the fractures in Sienkiewicz's art, think about how the childhood voice of Illyana's interior monologue as writ by Claremont goes silent...somewhere...or distant...I don't know...

Listen closely to the tic tock of clock as it descends down a long hallway...the clicks and taps that emerge out of queer silence after shock...those tuning strings hid in that rung out silence after the hands of time gently pull the door closed..."you what?" asks Dr Strange...um...

The terrible price is answer...to snap out of the lull...maybe for the sake of a bunch of rag tag kids caught in a Revolution and a leader who killed his father figure looking for a skull to hamlet...um...but finding no ghosts...only sentinels and a mansion willed unto him by the 'get out of my head'...

And imagine being cool enough to witness it all...to watch...to passively take part...to kind of move on autopilot....and yet...to be slowly and steadily unctuously turning up the flame...

The terrible price is actually accepting what the world requires in response.

A name. An age. An occupation. Eye color. Hair color. Gender.
    Etc...

It's not true.

There's no way into the buzzsaw of an age in motion, without complete shattering.

Not apart really, but through.

She's mortal. The difference might be...that for her...living life is into the windlessness of dead calm momentum-less, lip drool and loss of cool (depression maaaakkkkessss thhhhinngggggssss gooooo sloooooowwww) and she hadn't yet drooled at all, still, maybe cuffs her jaw, cause she's cool....so, shheeee seeeemsss soooo bored...yea, she looks like she's waiting for the moment to catch up...

Wake up!?

Play some good music. Something new! Pull out the bluetooth so it floods the room.

Kids in Hell and Save Them because this HELL is because of you and is of you and now of you and only YOU so you better put you back and deep inside of YOU and Dormammu too...now, Dasvidaniya Illyana...Illyana!?

Wake up! (again)

And there she is in moments...suddenly and bewildered as anybody in that awe of awakening...what?

If we ask a better question that doesn't demand a fixed memory....maybe her brother doesn't have to be impaled in the wall...you know? Maybe her debts get paid because she never took the loan...yea?

Maybe living doesn't cost anything. Terrible as that might seem. Maybe it's paid for in advance.

And the payment robs that bank. **smash and coins roll like treasures**
    Last edited by sungila; 09-14-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

No doctors, no drugs, no diagnosis. No.
    Hovering there in the air, even the candles float without hands...and her free hand looks exactly like she's commanding a shhhhh (from the heart)

So, beautifully said.

"... trifle turns me inside out, guts sprawling; it is thus that they see the "I" am in the process of becoming an other at the expense of my own death, During that course I'm which "I" become, I give birth to myself amid the violence of sobs, of vomit. Mute protest of the symptom, shattering the violence of a convulsion that, to be sure, is inscribed in a symbolic system, but in which, without either wanting or being able to become integrated in order to answer to it, it abreacts. It abjects"
    ― Julia Kristeva, Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection
    Last edited by sungila; 09-15-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Perfect! Cannot wait to see more of Reis' Illyana in the coming months.

The dichotomy of the fantastical versus the mundane is fantastic, and I love how her head is partially obscured by light. It's a really evocative piece!

Extraordinary Member

Preview with Magik fighting Raza.

That looks like a real sword, not the soul sword. A test of skill, perhaps?

BANNED

Is that the first time we’ve sen her partake in conventional swordfighting?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Is that the first time we’ve sen her partake in conventional swordfighting?
    I think she did some in that one cross over with the Guardians.