Page 63 of 76 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

spoilers:
    Grumble, grumble
    Like always, in order to 'imperil' our characters, Illyana had to get knocked unconscious.
    I think they are also implying that Magik isn't an intergalactic teleporter, and that a Krakoan flower is necessary to return to Earth from Shi'ar space.
    I will continue to believe my headcanon that Illyana Throws Fights and blurs memories so that the rest of mutantkind doesn't feel irrelevant.
    end of spoilers

Is it safe to discuss New Mutants #1 per Hickman, Brisson & Reis????

GAHHHHH!

spoilers:
    My baby Doug cradling my precious Yana?!?!
    end of spoilers

smash cut to me sobbing.

Mighty Member

Fokken, you stand on that hill alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Fokken, you stand on that hill alone.
    I am well aware. hahaha

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

^ I ship them too my friend (Opposites attract, Amazonian Warrior Demon Energy meets Quietly Introverted Calculating Understander)

Magik in this book definitely seems more of an extrovert and more high-energy than I'm used to with her. I don't know if I'd call her friendly or approachable per se, but she seems a bit more of a "human" and less of a sort of "alien devil" I guess. Just a human with a temper. She did well in the first issue and looked cool, and of course it's notable she is the only NM with a unique costume design.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I prefer Illyana as asexual. Im fine with people crushing on her with she having no interest

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I prefer Illyana as asexual. Im fine with people crushing on her with she having no interest
    Pretty much this.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Having her interested in someone, romantically and/or sexually, opens more possibilities though, specially since she's one of the few characters that never had a romantic interest, and, most importantly, it would take her out of her comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Having her interested in someone, romantically and/or sexually, opens more possibilities though, specially since she's one of the few characters that never had a romantic interest, and, most importantly, it would take her out of her comfort zone.
    which is exactly why Im fine with her being asexual. It makes her unique as we dont have many major characters that havent been involved in romantic plotlines. There is so much tha can be done with her that doesnt involve having a lover and its not like Ive ever felt like thats limited her potential or story possibilities

Can Hickman please turn Doug into a techno-incubus so Fokken's dream can come true?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    which is exactly why Im fine with her being asexual. It makes her unique as we dont have many major characters that havent been involved in romantic plotlines. There is so much tha can be done with her that doesnt involve having a lover and its not like Ive ever felt like thats limited her potential or story possibilities
    Like I said, the thing is that having Illyana being interested in someone despite herself would be good to get her out of her comfort zone, have her in a very unfamiliar situation she was never prepared to deal with.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Like I said, the thing is that having Illyana being interested in someone despite herself would be good to get her out of her comfort zone, have her in a very unfamiliar situation she was never prepared to deal with.
    She's been at least implied to have "interest" in Kitty/Kate Pryde though.

Which opens up the possibility for another thruple with Doug. Nice
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

It is interesting just how different Yana has been portrayed in the recent years.

- Secret Warriors = Rugged independent tanky weirdo who's just there to push the "save the children" vibe. Oh, and cake
    - X-Gold = Member of the "Z-Squad" who apparently has no clue how to fight with a team
    - What If? = Sassy girl who trains hard and will do what she needs to vanquish her enemy
    - Rosencanny = Bloodthirsty fighter ready to do what it takes to survive
    - New Mutants = All of the above?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    It is interesting just how different Yana has been portrayed in the recent years.

- Secret Warriors = Rugged independent tanky weirdo who's just there to push the "save the children" vibe. Oh, and cake
    - X-Gold = Member of the "Z-Squad" who apparently has no clue how to fight with a team
    - What If? = Sassy girl who trains hard and will do what she needs to vanquish her enemy
    - Rosencanny = Bloodthirsty fighter ready to do what it takes to survive
    - New Mutants = All of the above?!?!?
    My favorite recent portrayal was Rosenberg's Dead Souls.

I have been silent on Hickman/Brisson's version from this week's first issue. Still trying to decide if I liked the characterization or not. I got some Bendis vibes (which I like), but for being one of the "Great Captains", I was expecting a more commanding/strategic presence.

So, verdict is still out...

Things that I DID enjoy about Yana's characterization in issue 1:

1) Accomplished sword fighter holding her own against an alien swashbuckler
    2) She looks TREMENDOUS
    3) The sword is back to looking less scifi and more mystic
    4) Calling out the "One armed Preacher"
    5) The return of teleportation restrictions -- I've always, always, always preferred my heroes with limitations--especially with broad powers.