Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

I shouldn't be surprised that some have... strong reactions to this. To me, it's a neat artwork. Simple as that.

Mighty Member

That was a whole spiel that didn't need to exist. Like christ. I'm sorry that was just peak pretentiousness.

Pretentiousness is fun.

I despise the Bachalo costume with a passion it is easily the worst uniform she has worn. I wish she would go back to the red or Red and black uniform from New Mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    I despise the Bachalo costume with a passion it is easily the worst uniform she has worn. I wish she would go back to the red or Red and black uniform from New Mutants.
    Considering all the merch and representation in the Bachalo outfit, I wouldn't hold your breathe on it really ever leaving.

Even though it has only been around since 2012, it has pretty much become her identifying look. Give me head spikes & final fantasy sword any day of the week

Last edited by sungila; 10-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Considering all the merch and representation in the Bachalo outfit, I wouldn't hold your breathe on it really ever leaving.

Even though it has only been around since 2012, it has pretty much become her identifying look. Give me head spikes & final fantasy sword any day of the week
    Yeah, I dig it too.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the design when it debuted, but it’s grown on me. And I think that’s in large part due to the fact that it has actual distinguishing iconography to it. Like, boob window and booty shorts, I don’t care about those. But like you said, the head spikes are now a visual element specifically evocative of the character. And the soulsword has a visual identity beyond “a sword”.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I think it helps her stand away from her past role as the "innocent naive child" of course she was only that on the surface but now her aesthetic really shows off her "real self" as a hardened warrior
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Outside of her pre-NM days, when was Illyana seen as innocent naive child? She was rather dark for most of her comic history. Even when she wasnt wearing the Bachalo suit, she tended to come across quite unsettling in a way that most characters dont

I don't think it will matter much as long she gets alternate costumes when she comes out in games and so far so good. As for the comics I am confident the Bachalo costume will be nothing but a distant memory someday hopefully sooner than later though.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Outside of her pre-NM days, when was Illyana seen as innocent naive child? She was rather dark for most of her comic history. Even when she wasnt wearing the Bachalo suit, she tended to come across quite unsettling in a way that most characters dont
    Illyana creeping people out is always fun.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised that some have... strong reactions to this. To me, it's a neat artwork. Simple as that.
    Honestly. All that rambling to low-key disregard a talented artist's work just because he drew a character in a way you didn't like. Just say you don't like it and don't try bringing stuff like "intent" into it.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Honestly. All that rambling to low-key disregard a talented artist's work just because he drew a character in a way you didn't like. Just say you don't like it and don't try bringing stuff like "intent" into it.
    "don't try bringing stuff like intent into it" is a funny thing to ask somebody to do, honestly

it's not about if I liked it...and I didn't disregard Artgerm's talent, pedagogy or anything but intent which is intended to show respect
    Last edited by sungila; 10-14-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    "don't try bringing stuff like intent into it" is a funny thing to ask somebody to do, honestly

it's not about if I liked it...and I didn't disregard Artgerm's talent, pedagogy or anything but intent which is intended to show respect
    Because, unless he states what his intent was, you don't know if he intended disrespect... or what he intended. Anything that anyone projects on to him is just that, a projection. Some artists (including writers, directors, producers, etc.) don't privilege message over aesthetics and think art shouldn't be propaganda (even propaganda we agree with) and I think Triniking's point is that maybe he painted a picture he thought looked cool. Nothing more, nothing less.

The very recent (historical) attitude that all art has to have a stance on social concerns, and if it doesn't overtly support perspective A then it is actively undermining it, is really very disturbing.