Page 54 of 76 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I would love to know why Hickman chose Illyana as one of the Great Captains. I can only hope it is addressed in New Mutants...which I guess is a good possibility considering Hickman is writing the first arc.

Actually, this role could allow Illyana to appear in multiple titles across the line
    An intergalactic, Cross-Time teleporting, interdimensional Hell Lord could probably show up in several titles; it is a lot more rational than Wolverine or Spider-Man showing up on multiple teams. It also 'solves' her as an editorial OP problem; if a plot requires a psychic or other minor pest to take down the team, Illyana could simply teleport away first, before the villain ambushes the remainder of the team etc.

For that matter, every mutant could be given a minor "spell" like

"Illyana Rasputin
    Lady Magik, I'm in fear
    Please gate me away from here"

We've seen that, like all Hell Lords, Magik can hear her name being spoken, and like other Hell Lords, Magik should be able to send her energies and attention to petitioners (TNM v1 #39 & others hearing her name spoken, #29 casually rescuing Sam from the stratosphere with her back turned, while interogating a prisoner in Limbo.)

It might be really boring to Illyana, but her "Killer App" is to spend time in Limbo Mission Control using scrying mirrors to monitor teammates, spy on enemies, and teleport people and materiel, since such action can be done outside of time. (See her abduction of Moira as medical support personal for the Mutant Massacre in TNM v1 #46.) Given the variable time ratio of Earth to Limbo, in emergencies she could even do it in "frozen time”, noting that she spent seven years in Limbo during seven seconds on Earth back at her Origin in UXM v1, #160.

However, regarding being on or at the disposal of every team, I don't think she herself can replicate through time-travel; Hell Lords & Beyonders are Invariant, and can't overlap themselves in time.

(Illyana the Hell Lord has never overlapped herself; she's only overlapped her uncorrupted 'little snowflake' self, and only in Limbo/Inferno. Until Bendis, Stepping Disks had never been used to overlap people with themselves, which typically meant travel to before their birth, or into gloomy future dystopias, since the people in question had not made their contributions to goodness, as in "It's a Wonderful Life".)
    Last edited by G0RM; 10-03-2019 at 12:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The leadership positions in Dawn of X are a bit strange. On the one hand Cyclops is leading a team with Jean on it even though she outranks him and is on the council. On the other hand Bishop has no leadership position and is serving under another council member. Illyana is still technically outranked by Doug, but his position is based entirely on being the one who can understand Krakoa, not any leadership skills.

I also have to question why she's not on X-Force. A teleporter with cloaking spells is perfect for a black ops team. Maybe there's something more that they are doing in space than just looking for Sam, a greater mission. Because it makes even less sense for Doug to go with them. Yes, having an interpreter would be handy in space, but it seems like Doug is someone they'd want to keep by Krakoa at all times. Is there even a guarantee their resurrection method would pick up that they were killed if they were in another galaxy?
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-03-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Think y'all thinking too much on this thing when it's not yet been expanded upon. It could be as much as Illyana being "I have final say and will exercise it when i see fit, but otherwise, do your thing."
    I actually thought the same. She may defer to Roberto for all we know, in the field (he's a tremendous tactician after all) and then if/when necessary, she may pull rank on decisions she doesn't agree with.
    That being said, I don't view Illyana's promotion(?) as Dani's DEmotion.
    One person's success(depending on how you view such things) does not thereby imply failure for those around them (Dani)

Leadership among the X-Men is a curious thing. When Cyclops ISN'T in charge, does that mean he's been demoted? How about Storm? Rogue? When someone is not giving final word, are they really viewed as "less"? I think that's silly.

Extraordinary Member

When was the last time Dani led a team? I think it was the period between Schism and AvX.

This is not like previous leaderships of the X-Men. They are no longer a team of misfit vigilantes. These positions have legal significance and are based on the authority of the internationally recognized government of a sovereign nation. It is an official military position falling somewhere between Four-Star-General and Secretary/Minister of Defense. I think that the division into smaller teams in the upcoming books doesn't capture the true scope of the rank and responsibility the captains have.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The leadership positions in Dawn of X are a bit strange. On the one hand Cyclops is leading a team with Jean on it even though she outranks him and is on the council. On the other hand Bishop has no leadership position and is serving under another council member. Illyana is still technically outranked by Doug, but his position is based entirely on being the one who can understand Krakoa, not any leadership skills.
    As explained in the book, during an attack or in an excursion outside Krakoa, the captains outrank anyone, including council members.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It could make sense. Magik would be the expert in mystical threats, Bishop in time travel threats, Gorgon in threats from secret organizations like the Hand or HYDRA and Cyclops the Jack of All Trades.
    This makes sense. If Cable was alive, he'd probably take Bishop's role.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    As explained in the book, during an attack or in an excursion outside Krakoa, the captains outrank anyone, including council members.
    Except Bishop with Kitty.

It gets even worse when you realize that she's also 'Captain Kate.' It reminds me of the first Star Trek movie where Kirk assumes command of the Enterprise and demotes its then-current captain.

I also have to question why she's not on X-Force. A teleporter with cloaking spells is perfect for a black ops team. Maybe there's something more that they are doing in space than just looking for Sam, a greater mission. Because it makes even less sense for Doug to go with them. Yes, having an interpreter would be handy in space, but it seems like Doug is someone they'd want to keep by Krakoa at all times. Is there even a guarantee their resurrection method would pick up that they were killed if they were in another galaxy?
    Good point about Doug. I mean, I know they can just resurrect him if he dies, but what if he is kidnapped, imprisoned, etc? I would imagine they would want him stationed safely at Krakoa at all times.

Maybe we will get some further explanation of the Great Captains in next week's POX? However, since it is the last issue, there is probably bigger fish to fry.
    Last edited by Andru; 10-03-2019 at 06:39 AM.

When was the last time Dani led a team? I think it was the period between Schism and AvX.

This is not like previous leaderships of the X-Men. They are no longer a team of misfit vigilantes. These positions have legal significance and are based on the authority of the internationally recognized government of a sovereign nation. It is an official military position falling somewhere between Four-Star-General and Secretary/Minister of Defense. I think that the division into smaller teams in the upcoming books doesn't capture the true scope of the rank and responsibility the captains have.
    She led Uncanny X-men during the Asgard crossover earlier this year

They're going to space where their ability to travel is limited. Magik's powers make more sense there than on X-Force. They explained why Doug should be there. Someone with the ability to communicate with any alien they cross is invaluable

Mighty Member

Might be a bit presumptuous but Leah Williams is doing a "Final Dr. Strange Story" and we know she's big on magik being his successor, so she might pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Might be a bit presumptuous but Leah Williams is doing a "Final Dr. Strange Story" and we know she's big on magik being his successor, so she might pop up.
    Same writer & artist who did What If? Magik, so there is a high possibility!

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Same writer & artist who did What If? Magik, so there is a high possibility!
    Actually much larger than you'd think. She LOVES Magik and it's a solid bet that she'll at the very least make an appearance in the background if nothing else.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Actually much larger than you'd think. She LOVES Magik and it's a solid bet that she'll at the very least make an appearance in the background if nothing else.
    To be fair, this applies to like half of current marvel.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

They're going to space where their ability to travel is limited. Magik's powers make more sense there than on X-Force. They explained why Doug should be there. Someone with the ability to communicate with any alien they cross is invaluable
    I'm going to have to disagree. You don't send one of your four main defense commanders as well as the person responsible for communicating with the land you live on into space to find one person. It's like sending the Secretary of Defense and the head of the Fed on a mission to rescue one random soldier overseas. Doug is one of 6 people Krakoa absolutely cannot lose under any circumstances, the others being the 5 who bring the dead back. That's why I say this has to be something much more important to the mutant cause than just finding Sam. It has to be something worth sending a captain and a council member for. Otherwise there's no way the governing council would just let them both go off into space.

I'm going to have to disagree. You don't send one of your four main defense commanders as well as the person responsible for communicating with the land you live on into space to find one person. It's like sending the Secretary of Defense and the head of the Fed on a mission to rescue one random soldier overseas. Doug is one of 6 people Krakoa absolutely cannot lose under any circumstances, the others being the 5 who bring the dead back. That's why I say this has to be something much more important to the mutant cause than just finding Sam. It has to be something worth sending a captain and a council member for. Otherwise there's no way the governing council would just let them both go off into space.
    Also, it's just not writer A wanted to use characters B & C. Hickman is writing at least the first arc of New Mutants and chose his cast. The same guy who put Magik & Cypher in their respective roles. If finding Sam is the only mission, I would be very surprised.