Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I mean, that's a given. Most comic characters don't exist to the general public until they make their way to tv or the Movie screen. Colossus has and Magik has not.
    Only because they keep delaying it! New Mutants was meant to be out by now.

As for this Great Captain thing, Colossus wouldn't have wanted the job.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Only because they keep delaying it! New Mutants was meant to be out by now.

As for this Great Captain thing, Colossus wouldn't have wanted the job.
    Piotr never would have been offered the job.

Amazing how fast this thread moved from spoiler tags to screenshots ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, I'll tag my comment just in case
    spoilers:
    it doesn't seem to be just a military thing, since it says "state related excursions OR in times of conflict or war". The New Mutants' trip to space (to find Sam but I'm guessing also for some Krakoa/Shi'ar diplomacy) probably counts as one such excursion, which would make Illyana the Krakoa-sanctioned leader of the team, and not Dani. That's an interesting shift, and I wonder if Illyana will be actively leading or if she and the others will just defer to Dani out of habit.

I don't mean this as a slight to Illyana (she's one my two favorite characters of all time!) but I'm wondering if these leaders were chosen not for their leadership skills in general, but because the council perceives them to be hawkish, or having the potential to enable their own hawkishness. If that's what's happening, perhaps Illyana will surprise her would-be exploiters again! Or just as likely, she wouldn't see it as exploitation, but as approval for what she'd want to do anyway. Also, probably obvious, but in a war setting, I'm thinking Illyana's troops would not primarily be New Mutants, but her demonic hordes... but what if the war is against Arokka, and what if Arokka is in fact Limbo?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Yeah the fact that Dani has been "demoted" is an interesting twist. I'm guessing they are trying to make Yana more than the "New Mutant's Gruff Tank" spot into something more special since her popularity likely has grown since she came back and her being highlighted so aggressively during the Bendis run.

Frankly I'm still stuck with how they are going to "un-Darkchilde" her and why her sword is different.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Illyana has been a leader and has shown tremendous strategic skills, but her being the literal ruler of an entire dimension with status as a hell lord and an army at her beck and call probably has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    Amazing how fast this thread moved from spoiler tags to screenshots ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, I'll tag my comment just in case
    spoilers:
    it doesn't seem to be just a military thing, since it says "state related excursions OR in times of conflict or war". The New Mutants' trip to space (to find Sam but I'm guessing also for some Krakoa/Shi'ar diplomacy) probably counts as one such excursion, which would make Illyana the Krakoa-sanctioned leader of the team, and not Dani. That's an interesting shift, and I wonder if Illyana will be actively leading or if she and the others will just defer to Dani out of habit.

I don't mean this as a slight to Illyana (she's one my two favorite characters of all time!) but I'm wondering if these leaders were chosen not for their leadership skills in general, but because the council perceives them to be hawkish, or having the potential to enable their own hawkishness. If that's what's happening, perhaps Illyana will surprise her would-be exploiters again! Or just as likely, she wouldn't see it as exploitation, but as approval for what she'd want to do anyway. Also, probably obvious, but in a war setting, I'm thinking Illyana's troops would not primarily be New Mutants, but her demonic hordes... but what if the war is against Arokka, and what if Arokka is in fact Limbo?
    end of spoilers
    You can't put images in spoiler tags, so I had taken the image down. But when I saw CBR posted an article about it, I put the image back up. Sorry if I spoiled anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Illyana has been a leader and has shown tremendous strategic skills, but her being the literal ruler of an entire dimension with status as a hell lord and an army at her beck and call probably has something to do with it.
    I could also see her in that position because of her experience with mystical forces, something she has over the other 3. I could see Scott insisting that he and the others yield to Illyana concerning such adversaries.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I dont like Dani getting a demotion beneath Illyana. I was fine with Magik being leader when Dani wasnt around but it feels odd that she will be there this time, yet Illyana still leads them

Mighty Member

Think y'all thinking too much on this thing when it's not yet been expanded upon. It could be as much as Illyana being "I have final say and will exercise it when i see fit, but otherwise, do your thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I could also see her in that position because of her experience with mystical forces, something she has over the other 3. I could see Scott insisting that he and the others yield to Illyana concerning such adversaries.
    It could make sense. Magik would be the expert in mystical threats, Bishop in time travel threats, Gorgon in threats from secret organizations like the Hand or HYDRA and Cyclops the Jack of All Trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    You can't put images in spoiler tags, so I had taken the image down. But when I saw CBR posted an article about it, I put the image back up. Sorry if I spoiled anyone!
    ah, I see! no worries!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It could make sense. Magik would be the expert in mystical threats, Bishop in time travel threats, Gorgon in threats from secret organizations like the Hand or HYDRA and Cyclops the Jack of All Trades.
    Scarlet Spider gets it.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

I think the Great Captain position was created after the events of the issue. Jean and Kurt were clearly not in the leadership positions they have now on the council during that space mission, and if the 4 captains had already been gathered Magik should have been on that mission. It seems to me they sought her out afterwards to offer this position.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    ooh, this was really perceptive. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it, a captain to represent each type of potential threat that may attack Krakoa.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

I would love to know why Hickman chose Illyana as one of the Great Captains. I can only hope it is addressed in New Mutants...which I guess is a good possibility considering Hickman is writing the first arc.

Actually, this role could allow Illyana to appear in multiple titles across the line