Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21616768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1110
  1. #1051
    Mighty Member sungila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dawnland
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    Does anyone think the cake thing is an ace reference?
    May I ask you how you came to this question Kevinism?

    I don't understand how the 'cake thing' could be a reference to Illyana's sexual preference?
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

  2. #1052
    Incredible Member kevinism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    May I ask you how you came to this question Kevinism?

    I don't understand how the 'cake thing' could be a reference to Illyana's sexual preference?
    It's an old, but still used, joke in the community that cake is better than sex.

  3. #1053
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    It's an old, but still used, joke in the community that cake is better than sex.
    I just looked this up, and I think @kevinism deserves a no-prize!

    Everybody Google "cake and asexuality" now!

    I can absolutely believe Rosenberg would know this, and would use it to express an inside joke about Illyana & asexuality in "Secret Warriors", including "The X-Men never get cake." (There's also an inside joke in the computer game "Portal" about cake, which goes with Illyana's ability to create portals. It's a perfect double entendre 'fingerprint' to match Illyana's identity in several directions.)

    I think it's like Dashiell Hammett's use of the Yiddish term 'gunsel' in "The Maltese Falcon". Even if other creators copy the use later without knowing what's happening, this was clearly coded for Illyana being Ace, and would be understood by those active in the community.

    Thanks again @kevinism!

    MAGIK: Putting the 'A' in LGBTQIA
    Last edited by G0RM; 11-23-2019 at 04:30 PM.

  4. #1054
    Mighty Member sungila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dawnland
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    It's an old, but still used, joke in the community that cake is better than sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    I just looked this up, and I think @kevinism deserves a no-prize!

    Everybody Google "cake and asexuality" now!

    I can absolutely believe Rosenberg would know this, and would use it to expressed an inside joke about Illyana & asexuality in "Secret Warriors", including "The X-Men never get cake." (There's also an inside joke in the computer game "Portal" about cake, which goes with Illyana's ability to create portals. It's a perfect double entendre 'fingerprint' to match Illyana's identity in several directions.)

    I think it's like Dashiell Hammett's use of the Yiddish term 'gunsel' in "The Maltese Falcon". Even if other creators copy the use later without knowing what's happening, this was clearly coded for Illyana being Ace, and would be understood by those active in the community.

    Thanks again @kevinism!

    MAGIK: Putting the 'A' in LGBTQIA
    Thank you kevinism. Wow.
    It's utterly astounding how resoundingly awesome being disarmed while unarmed can be, feeling awkward and sort of embarrassed because I feel outside on the inside and uncool yet WOW and thank you.

    Thank you also GORM.

    Um, for me personally, that cake referencing ACE is a thing and a long standing in-thing for the ACE community is unnerving, a bit shocking and upsetting though, because for me cake is something entirely different especially in the context it seems it's popularly accepted as signifying.

    Yet, in a way, that all totally makes sense, for me, actually too.

    Is alienation destiny or self-fulfilling?
    Last edited by sungila; 11-24-2019 at 01:32 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

  5. #1055
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    I've mentioned my belief that at the end of Inferno, the LightChilde drew 99% of Limbo's demons (all except those N'astirh & the Goblin Queen controlled) back into Limbo, and cured them and all of Limbo of T/O, as well as inoculating Limbo against T/O (thus infected life forms would be 'cured', but Warlock, Phalanx etc would die after spending time in Limbo.)

    In another thread someone pointed out that Cypher has been infected by Selene's Resurrection T/O virus, which might be keeping him alive. In that case, either his time in Limbo during Fall of the New Mutants cured him, leaving him standard 'alive', or my theory is wrong.

    On the other hand, I haven't seen him recently killed & resurrected by Selene's virus, so if he was 'cured' by Limbo, then reinfected by Warlock's T/O later, it would be another reason Cypher wouldn't travel through Limbo, ditto if all of Krakoa is T/O infected and Limbo *is* inoculated against T/O.
    Last edited by G0RM; 11-24-2019 at 11:13 PM.

  6. #1056
    Mighty Member sungila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dawnland
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    bubble bubble toil and trouble
    demon lords, magic swords, portals and shit



    0-1.jpeg
    'the comeback kid'
    Last edited by sungila; 11-25-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

  7. #1057
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    What do people think about New Mutants #2?

    Illyana and the SoulShiv in prison?

    Do you believe Illyana really "isn't a reader", or was that a fib?
    Last edited by G0RM; 11-28-2019 at 12:58 AM.

  8. #1058
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    What do people think about New Mutants #2?

    Illyana and the SoulShiv in prison?

    Do you believe Illyana really "isn't a reader", or was that a fib?
    I'm not sure why they included that, she's been shown at time reading books (no specific reference but I know I've seen it) maybe it was just so she could have a line of dialogue in the book?
    I'm not even sure why she could teleport out of solitary but cant teleport anywhere else

    I know she's a part of the New mutants team but if Excalibur is supposed to be focusing on magic why isn't she in that book?

  9. #1059
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,784

    Default

    I found that line about education and reading charming.

  10. #1060
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I found that line about education and reading charming.
    Regarding dislike of books, there *is* the evidence of Magik #4, when she destroyed Belasco's library (after she had memorized it).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #1061
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,582

    Default

    The only things Illyana had to read in Limbo were Belasco's spell books. And even then, it was only during the time she was directly serving as Belasco's apprentice. She read absolutely nothing during the 2 years with Cat or the year in the frozen wilderness at the end. I'd imagine reading for fun was a totally alien concept to her when she came back.

  12. #1062
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meta jon View Post
    I'm not even sure why she could teleport out of solitary but cant teleport anywhere else

    I know she's a part of the New mutants team but if Excalibur is supposed to be focusing on magic why isn't she in that book?
    Intergalactic cross-time mass teleportation starting in TNM v1 #50, and as recent as Black Vortex, but Illyana has been underplaying her strength since UXM v1 #160, and has become an expert.

    I'm not sure how she could be in Excalibur, given that she's too powerful in magical realms, having curbstomped several HellLords & Dr. Strange.

    Then again, Magik Throws Fights, so she can lower her demonstrated power level to match many different teams. She can successfully pretend to get knocked out anytime (like X-Men Gold #24) then dismember a Space God the next issue without anyone noticing the discrepancy.

  13. #1063
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    Intergalactic cross-time mass teleportation starting in TNM v1 #50, and as recent as Black Vortex, but Illyana has been underplaying her strength since UXM v1 #160, and has become an expert.

    I'm not sure how she could be in Excalibur, given that she's too powerful in magical realms, having curbstomped several HellLords & Dr. Strange.

    Then again, Magik Throws Fights, so she can lower her demonstrated power level to match many different teams. She can successfully pretend to get knocked out anytime (like X-Men Gold #24) then dismember a Space God the next issue without anyone noticing the discrepancy.
    She is just mindful of not overshadowing her teammates^^.

  14. #1064
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    She is just mindful of not overshadowing her teammates^^.
    That's my general feeling: that more than anything, Illyana wants love and connection (and is willing to spend months in a bomb-jacket, never bathing, to earn it.)

    The times Magik fully eclipsed others, say holding the school in Limbo while defending the entirety of mutantkind against all challengers, she has been isolated by the power and responsibility (and must sometimes sacrifice her loved ones in the bargain :'-(

  15. #1065
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meta jon View Post
    I'm not sure why they included that, she's been shown at time reading books (no specific reference but I know I've seen it) maybe it was just so she could have a line of dialogue in the book?
    I'm not even sure why she could teleport out of solitary but cant teleport anywhere else

    I know she's a part of the New mutants team but if Excalibur is supposed to be focusing on magic why isn't she in that book?
    Because the book is about Elizabeth Braddock becoming Captain Britain and she's the hero. Magik is not needed in Excalibur and has no relationship with any of the main characters.

    Other mutants also have ties to Magik, so it's not like she has to be in every mystical story!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •