Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 577
  1. #76
    Amazing Member Stevenlore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    59

    Default

    I was just getting into comics in the 80's just before Secret Wars started. It was around that time the Storm & Illyana MAGIK four issue limited series came out and I read it. I didn't know who she was or Storm and Kitty or even the X-men. But I picked up that limited series and I was hooked.

  2. #77
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,483

    Default

    Magik hadn't been around for a while by the time I was born. My had a bunch of Marvel comics from the 80s, including many X-Men and New Mutants comics. I think I started reading my dad's old comics in 2003, and the character really resonated with me.

  3. #78
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    324

    Default

    I bought Giant Size X-Men #1 off the news stand for $0.50 (two weeks allowance for me at the time), and there she is, one of the All-New, All Different X-Men... Then I picked up X-Men continuously starting with GSXM#2 & UXM#100 and up, plus New Mutants when they started.

    When UXM #160 rolled around, it blew my mind as much as "Days of Future Past", then Illyana slyly hinting at powers & demonic backstory, shielding her mind etc for more than a year, just set up huge expectations for me, that Magik 1-4, TNM #14, and all the rest fulfilled completely.

    (During her 'hidden' phase, Illyana was a prominent character in "God Loves, Man Kills", where she was ironically exactly the Demonic threat to all mankind that Stryker feared, but never fully recognized.)

  4. #79
    Fantastic Member pandafarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    (During her 'hidden' phase, Illyana was a prominent character in "God Loves, Man Kills", where she was ironically exactly the Demonic threat to all mankind that Stryker feared, but never fully recognized.)
    They were really building up her reveal weren't they. For the longest time she was basically just "Kitty's roommate/Pitor's sister" that followed everyone else around on their adventures. I think she was appealing as a background character because she was just like the reader's best friend or sister then WHAM OMG DEVILMAMA IS HERE. Quite incredible when you think about how top of mind "devil worship" was back in the 80's in pop culture. People would flip their lids over album covers, but meanwhile this four issue mini series was "worse" than any of the actual lyrical content on those said albums.

  5. #80
    Mighty Member sungila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dawnland
    Posts
    1,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    They were really building up her reveal weren't they. For the longest time she was basically just "Kitty's roommate/Pitor's sister" that followed everyone else around on their adventures. I think she was appealing as a background character because she was just like the reader's best friend or sister then WHAM OMG DEVILMAMA IS HERE. Quite incredible when you think about how top of mind "devil worship" was back in the 80's in pop culture. People would flip their lids over album covers, but meanwhile this four issue mini series was "worse" than any of the actual lyrical content on those said albums.


    So true, scared the living devil into lil kid me,
    and then when Yana and Bill Sienkiewicz joined the New Mutants...fate sealed, bagged and boarded.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

  6. #81
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    They were really building up her reveal weren't they. For the longest time she was basically just "Kitty's roommate/Pitor's sister" that followed everyone else around on their adventures. I think she was appealing as a background character because she was just like the reader's best friend or sister then WHAM OMG DEVILMAMA IS HERE. Quite incredible when you think about how top of mind "devil worship" was back in the 80's in pop culture. People would flip their lids over album covers, but meanwhile this four issue mini series was "worse" than any of the actual lyrical content on those said albums.
    I like to think of Illyana as being herself, but as 'Art', I knew Claremont sort of took elements of Dante's 'Inferno' and Moorcock's 'Elric' as inspiration for Magik, plus a bit of Larry Niven ("Stepping Disks") and Lovecraft ("Elder Gods")

    I felt a bit overwhelmed last year, though, when I saw how profoundly "Heavy Metal's" core story about the Loc-Nar, the young girl, and Taarna mirrors Illyana. It seems undeniable to me, comparing this clip from the movie of a one-handed devil horned demon with a medalion necklace fighting a warrioress/little girl with armor on one arm, and a magic sword that vanquishes the source of all evil.

    The primary song of the "Taarna" arc is "Veteran of the Psychic Wars", performed by Blue Oyster Cult, lyrics by Michael Moorcock, of Elric & "Stormbringer", the infamous soul-eating sword.

    Heavy Metal premiered August 1981, UXM#160 was August 1982, with Belasco having already been introduced in Ka-Zar#11 in February 1982.

    So I believe the overlap of "Heavy Metal Devil Music" with Magik is essentially undeniable. Even if Claremont is unaware of the influence, if he watched Heavy Metal before X-Men #160 was finished, the inspiration is there to see.

    https://youtu.be/8erRew5Jbg0
    Last edited by G0RM; 02-02-2019 at 11:46 AM.

  7. #82
    Mighty Member sungila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dawnland
    Posts
    1,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    I like to think of Illyana as being herself, but as 'Art', I knew Claremont sort of took elements of Dante's 'Inferno' and Moorcock's 'Elric' as inspiration for Magik, plus a bit of Larry Niven ("Stepping Disks") and Lovecraft ("Elder Gods")

    I felt a bit overwhelmed last year, though, when I saw how profoundly "Heavy Metal's" core story about the Loc-Nar, the young girl, and Taarna mirrors Illyana. It seems undeniable to me, comparing this clip from the movie of a one-handed devil horned demon with a medalion necklace fighting a warrioress/little girl with armor on one arm, and a magic sword that vanquishes the source of all evil.

    The primary song of the "Taarna" arc is "Veteran of the Psychic Wars", performed by Blue Oyster Cult, lyrics by Michael Moorcock, of Elric & "Stormbringer", the infamous soul-eating sword.

    Heavy Metal premiered August 1981, UXM#160 was August 1982, with Belasco having already been introduced in Ka-Zar#11 in February 1982.

    So I believe the overlap of "Heavy Metal Devil Music" with Magik is essentially undeniable. Even if Claremont is unaware of the influence, if he watched Heavy Metal before X-Men #160 was finished, the inspiration is there to see.

    https://youtu.be/8erRew5Jbg0
    WAIT!? Really!? Claremont was consciously 'inspired' by Moorcock's Elric & Dante's 'Inferno' when he 'created' Magik from Illyana?
    GORM, this Devil's Music overlap you're describing is very interesting to me. I'm not well versed in Heavy Metal music or 80's dark fantasy and all of its antecedents and spawns.

    Lovecraft seems to have inspired everything but I've not read his work.

    I'm not really a 'fan' of science fiction horror. I am but shhhhh...

    I do love Elric & Thin Lizzy & Melvyn Peake & Bowie...

    I am forever the younger brother of the quintessential 80's skater metal rebel and these things of his were his...so there was a worrying fascination and off-limits fear for me about it all...perhaps that's why the first solo Magik series was such a powerful and personal thing for me. I did keep my four issues hidden. I didn't even know why. How odd and awesome to...hmmm...now.

    You see, his room, his stuff. But it was his back issues of the New Mutants I read before I could afford them myself. His were in a long box in bags with boards...mine were curled and creased and worn from tracings I made onto paper from the panels...

    Sorry, I digress...yet of course, that is, all I do

    It'd be incredibly interesting and exciting to generate a list, or some kind of 'map' illuminating the creative influences and generative relations to Magik in art, literature, music and culture.

    Illyana and Elric!? And here I thought I was the hub of these felt coincidences!? Vanity of course...that and...well, fool's wisdom at best.
    Last edited by sungila; 02-02-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

  8. #83
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Isnt she getting a mini real soon?

  9. #84
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Unfortunately when I became a fan of Colossus in the 90s Illyana was back to a little girl and their parents died and then the legacy virus happened. It wasn't until after Colossus died and Illyana had been long dead at that point that I discovered that Colossus little sister had become a cool character in her own right and In a lot of ways more interesting than her brother. I wish I had discovered New Mutants earlier as I'm a sucker for teenaged superhero stories.

  10. #85
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    WAIT!? Really!? Claremont was consciously 'inspired' by Moorcock's Elric & Dante's 'Inferno' when he 'created' Magik from Illyana?
    GORM, this Devil's Music overlap you're describing is very interesting to me. I'm not well versed in Heavy Metal music or 80's dark fantasy and all of its antecedents and spawns.

    Lovecraft seems to have inspired everything but I've not read his work.

    I'm not really a 'fan' of science fiction horror. I am but shhhhh...

    I do love Elric & Thin Lizzy & Melvyn Peake & Bowie...

    I am forever the younger brother of the quintessential 80's skater metal rebel and these things of his were his...so there was a worrying fascination and off-limits fear for me about it all...perhaps that's why the first solo Magik series was such a powerful and personal thing for me. I did keep my four issues hidden. I didn't even know why. How odd and awesome to...hmmm...now.

    You see, his room, his stuff. But it was his back issues of the New Mutants I read before I could afford them myself. His were in a long box in bags with boards...mine were curled and creased and worn from tracings I made onto paper from the panels...

    Sorry, I digress...yet of course, that is, all I do

    It'd be incredibly interesting and exciting to generate a list, or some kind of 'map' illuminating the creative influences and generative relations to Magik in art, literature, music and culture.

    Illyana and Elric!? And here I thought I was the hub of these felt coincidences!? Vanity of course...that and...well, fool's wisdom at best.
    In-universe Belasco IS the inspiration for Dante's Inferno and actually fought Dante.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 02-03-2019 at 02:54 PM.

  11. #86
    Incredible Member kevinism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I do like Yanna with a cloak of some kind. I just wish this costume was less New Mutant-y than it is. I do so hate it when any of them are force to regress. At least these were more individual.
    But where are the hair picks??

  12. #87
    Fantastic Member pandafarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    WAIT!? Really!? Claremont was consciously 'inspired' by Moorcock's Elric & Dante's 'Inferno' when he 'created' Magik from Illyana?
    GORM, this Devil's Music overlap you're describing is very interesting to me. I'm not well versed in Heavy Metal music or 80's dark fantasy and all of its antecedents and spawns.
    He means the classic sci-fi/art/fantasy magazine of the same name.
    http://www.heavymetal.com/

  13. #88
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    He means the classic sci-fi/art/fantasy magazine of the same name.
    http://www.heavymetal.com/
    Actually, I meant the 1981 movie.

    https://youtu.be/8erRew5Jbg0

  14. #89
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,483

    Default

    Was Magik in today's Uncanny?

  15. #90
    Astonishing Member King_Thor13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Was Magik in today's Uncanny?
    Nope. No Illyana yet

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •